Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake» Forums » General

Subject: CCG vs LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have loved to own this game, but I stay clear of everything "collectable." I wish that this was built around a LCG model, then I would have bought a few boxes to have a complete set up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that's just a lazy usage of the term and not literally intended to mean that it will be sold in randomized packs. "Living Card Game" is probably something only FFG can use so they have to describe it somehow. Whatever the case, at least there will always be starter decks to dabble with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It is the CCG model of cardgames, but not a booster pack buying style. There are just 2 double deck boxes to buy. Each box has two 40 card decks and 8 Location tiles, ready to be played right out of the gate.

There could be more decks released, but you won't need to buy them to "stay current" like with a collectable game.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt reply! Will the decks be themed by characters? ... ie Jack's deck, Rainbow Unicorn's deck, Fin's deck, B-MO's deck, etc that could be cool cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, they are themed that way, mainly to mimic the decks as seen in the episodes.
The Adventure Time characters don't appear on the cards, as Card Wars is a game in their world, not a game starring the AT characters.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot P
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the great reply, Matt. I was dreading buying blind booster packs as well but I'd certainly buy everything you guys publish that's prebuilt.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info! Do you have a rough idea on when they will be out?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake » Forums » General
Re: CCG vs LCG
Lukezors wrote:
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info! Do you have a rough idea on when they will be out?


Maybe January. Probably Feb.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
Lukezors wrote:
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info! Do you have a rough idea on when they will be out?


Maybe January. Probably Feb.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D


Thanks Matt! A few retailers have been saying November which didn't seem likely, good to have a more likely date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Molisee
msg tools
Matt, I'm curious to know if there will be more decks besides the Finn-Jack and BMO-Lady Rainicorn decks that are available for preorder now. Like a Princess Bubblegum deck or something?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Applejack
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoryMolisee wrote:
Matt, I'm curious to know if there will be more decks besides the Finn-Jack and BMO-Lady Rainicorn decks that are available for preorder now. Like a Princess Bubblegum deck or something?


Princess Bubblegum vs. Marceline the Vampire Queen? I could see that. Maybe Ice King vs. Flame Princess (fire & ice). Lumpy Space Princess vs. Earl of Lemongrab (weird character faceoff). Billy vs. The Lich (epic foes). Just a few ideas.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
Matt Hyra wrote:
It is the CCG model of cardgames, but not a booster pack buying style. There are just 2 double deck boxes to buy. Each box has two 40 card decks and 8 Location tiles, ready to be played right out of the gate.

There could be more decks released, but you won't need to buy them to "stay current" like with a collectable game.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D



Well, guess that's all changed now....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina G.

Bloomingon
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdekemp wrote:
Matt Hyra wrote:
It is the CCG model of cardgames, but not a booster pack buying style. There are just 2 double deck boxes to buy. Each box has two 40 card decks and 8 Location tiles, ready to be played right out of the gate.

There could be more decks released, but you won't need to buy them to "stay current" like with a collectable game.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D



Well, guess that's all changed now....


So it turned out to be a CCG after all. Lame...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
No, that has not "all changed."

We released a booster set with NON-random boxes because the stores demanded more product fast. New decks would have taken 4 months longer.

The game is decks. The game going forward is decks. For the Glory will stay in print far longer than any CCG would ever consider.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina G.

Bloomingon
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
No, that has not "all changed."

We released a booster set with NON-random boxes because the stores demanded more product fast. New decks would have taken 4 months longer.

The game is decks. The game going forward is decks. For the Glory will stay in print far longer than any CCG would ever consider.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D


Matt, I'm confused when you say boxes? Are you referring to the boxes the boosters come in or something completely different? The local game store told me the booster packs were random cards. Is that not the case?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A single pack is random, except that it comes with 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons, and 6 Commons.
A box has 24 packs, and so far 1 of each Rare. So that is not random. That is by design.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina G.

Bloomingon
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
A single pack is random, except that it comes with 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons, and 6 Commons.
A box has 24 packs, and so far 1 of each Rare. So that is not random. That is by design.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D


So you get all the rares then from a single box. Does someone also get at least one copy of every card in the set too or is that random and only rares are guaranteed?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
I can't speak officially, but the box I opened, the box my friend opened and those I've read about online have all been pretty consistant. One of each rare, 1-2 of each uncommon and 3 of most of all the commons (with a few only having two each).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina G.

Bloomingon
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleBob wrote:
I can't speak officially, but the box I opened, the box my friend opened and those I've read about online have all been pretty consistant. One of each rare, 1-2 of each uncommon and 3 of most of all the commons (with a few only having two each).


So it looks like you all received a full set of every card in just one box then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.