$10.00
Recommend
133 
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: BGWS 051 - Video exploration of Agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vlog [+] bgws [+] agricola [+] [View All]
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek » Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs
BGWS 051 - Video exploration of Agricola
Well, you all asked for it, so here it is!


While I typically don't put out videos so quickly after each other, I know the start of my semester will be rough, so if I don't do it now, it wouldn't happen for a while.

You can download or watch it at
http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=87

or watch it here through Vimeo:


74 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You.

Are.

Insane.

robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farid Widjaya
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right in time for my lunch break that I was going to spend reading Agricola rulebook! Scott for President!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Scott, thanks.

Especially love the barnyard salad at the end of the video.

M
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAGREEECOOOLA!!

Sweet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opening is hilarious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I really like your videos. They do a good job at teaching people how to play and give people an accurate idea about what to expect when buying/playing the game. I've purchased a number of games based on your videos.

I was wondering if you think your opinion of this game will change after a few months? Do you think the popularity of the game is due to its relative newness?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

--James
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceberg1 wrote:

I was wondering if you think your opinion of this game will change after a few months?


I've had the game since last November and I pasted up all the cards. I still enjoy playing it. That said, I still enjoy playing Puerto Rico, although I don't use the "accepted strategies." So, for me, it's not a new game.

The reason why I like both games is that I can try different things each play and see how it comes up. I last player Puerto Rico about a month ago, and did something I'd never tried before, and enjoyed it..
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"In case your imagination isn't good enough"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott great video as always. I was on the Agricola hate bandwagon till I heard your audio review on "On Board Games" podcast ep13 - It helped change my outlook on the game and I became on of the many BGG'ers looking forward to the Z-man release.

I also enjoyed the structure to how you taught the game on the video. I'm going to use the same outline when I teach others.

Now excuse me as I go have a drink of some Agra-Cola
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
That was very helpful. Scanning the rules it seemed confusing to me...now it doesn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
Thanks Scott,

Everyone has been looking at me strange when I've been pronouncing Argicola. Now that I have your backing they will know I'm not strange.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was fast! I'm a teacher and I'm setting up my classroom this week, and just put in a 13 hour day. Imagine my surprise and excitment to find this waiting for me! I've been trying to talk my family into playing it since it arrived, and now they have the perfect tutorial.

Must download and stagger over to the DVD player.......

Yes, I actually watch BGWS on the big screen through the stereo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Nowak
Poland
Warsaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to publish episodes in some formats other than mov and mp4? Those formats are patent protected and not normally available on PocketPC, where I like to watch your movies. MPEG1 used for 18xx episode would be perfect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ja_n wrote:
Would it be possible to publish episodes in some formats other than mov and mp4? Those formats are patent protected and not normally available on PocketPC, where I like to watch your movies. MPEG1 used for 18xx episode would be perfect.


This is a slippery slope of trying to satisfy too many people. Just to put things in perspective, when I started working at 6AM yesterday morning, the video was done, and I was starting the rendering and uploading processes, which include:

- Final render into high quality
- Use of conversion tool into Itunes-friendly format
- Use of conversion tool into Low-bandwidth format
- Import into audio-creation tool, edit, and add new voiceovers for audio-only version
- Create new entry in Internet Archive for video
- Upload files via FTP into Internet Archive for video
- Fill out cataloging information on Internet Archive for video
- Create new entry in Internet Archive for audio
- Upload file for audio
- Fill out cataloging information for audio
- Upload file to Vimeo
- Enter metatdata in Vimo
- Create screenshot
- Upload screenshot via FTP
- Change Vimeo thumbnail to Screenshot
- Copy embedding information from Vimeo
- Create BGWS blog entry with links to all of the above
- Test all links in blog entry
- Create BGG post for Podcasts and Blogs
- Preview BGG post, testing links and Vimeo
- Submit BGG post, capturing post number
- Edit BGWS blog post with BGG forum information
- Create BGG review in entry for game.
- Test BGG review links and Vimeo
- Submit BGG review
- Edit BGWS geeklist to add the new entry
- Edit the master list of BGWS episodes with link
- Update Twitter to say that It's Up.

That's after everything is already done for the video itself! Until you've done this, you can't imagine how tedious it is to do all of this, especially when you've already done all of the work to create and edit the video itself (especially when you know that this is a hobby activity...and this is taking away from time where you could play games!!) It took about 6 hours to do all of this yesterday. It's sad that I wrote that whole list from memory, but as I've done it 50+ times now, it's a long mental checklist... and hopefully, for those of you out there wanting to do this, you can use it as such!

Every additional format that I turn it into adds to that time. It's one more format to figure out the settings for, one more file to save, one more file to upload, one more file to link to, etc. Earlier on, I tried to do this, but I just got fatigued with trying to keep up with it.

I figured rather than do everything myself, I could put some of the burden on the viewer. So, if you have a specialized need, then you can convert the file yourself. It looks like Zamzar (http://www.zamzar.com/) is a free tool to convert files. I've never used it, but it might do what you are needing.


26 
 Thumb up
5.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
Agricola has dolls so it's actually an Ameritrash hybrid... no wonder it's at the top of the charts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wells
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Scott looks like a very interesting game, definitely one to put on my ever growing wishlist
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott you are the man.

I have added a new hobby to my existing one: COLLECTING VIDEO EXPLORATIONS OF GAMES !!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Olivares
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, a video review of Agricola! Thank you so much, Scott! Also, you should cut back on the formats to save yourself some time. Whether it's mp4 or avi or whatever, I will adjust in order to watch the episodes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if you didn't get the introduction:


(I was showing it to someone yesterday, and she had no idea about these old commercials.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
By the way, if you didn't get the introduction:


My partner mimicked the commercial when I told her the name of the game, and then asked, "Has anyone else thought of that when hearing the title of the game?".

I told her, "actually, sorry, but it's been done before." I then showed her the introduction to your video.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Just to put things in perspective, when I started working at 6AM yesterday morning, the video was done, and I was starting the rendering and uploading processes, which include:

- Final render into high quality
- Use of conversion tool into Itunes-friendly format
- Use of conversion tool into Low-bandwidth format
- Import into audio-creation tool, edit, and add new voiceovers for audio-only version
- Create new entry in Internet Archive for video
- Upload files via FTP into Internet Archive for video
- Fill out cataloging information on Internet Archive for video
- Create new entry in Internet Archive for audio
- Upload file for audio
- Fill out cataloging information for audio
- Upload file to Vimeo
- Enter metatdata in Vimo
- Create screenshot
- Upload screenshot via FTP
- Change Vimeo thumbnail to Screenshot
- Copy embedding information from Vimeo
- Create BGWS blog entry with links to all of the above
- Test all links in blog entry
- Create BGG post for Podcasts and Blogs
- Preview BGG post, testing links and Vimeo
- Submit BGG post, capturing post number
- Edit BGWS blog post with BGG forum information
- Create BGG review in entry for game.
- Test BGG review links and Vimeo
- Submit BGG review
- Edit BGWS geeklist to add the new entry
- Edit the master list of BGWS episodes with link
- Update Twitter to say that It's Up.

That's after everything is already done for the video itself! Until you've done this, you can't imagine how tedious it is to do all of this, especially when you've already done all of the work to create and edit the video itself (especially when you know that this is a hobby activity...and this is taking away from time where you could play games!!)


That's all??? Sheesh! Slacker! devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not even the real "real pronunciation." It's not "a-GRIK-ola," it's "a-GREEK-ola." In Latin, the letter "I" is pronounced "ee."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Bond...
badge
...how British am I?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great video Scott. thumbsupthumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.