Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Imperial» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of rule questions - would really appreciate any timely help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Anon
msg tools
Hi everyone,
We played a great game of Imperial last weekend...and then I realized I badly bungled up the rules (I was in charge of understanding and explaining them). So I was wondering if someone could help me so I can be better prepared for our next game:

1) Who pays for building factories / importing units? Does the money come from the player who runs the government, or the nation's own treasury? Are rondel movements (past three spaces) and bonds the only thing the player pays for out of his own pocket?

2) When setting up the game, where does each country place its two factories?

3) With the non-investor card variant, my understanding is that each person is allowed to purchase bonds in the nation that's turn has just ended, starting with the player who represents the government. My question is this: can people only buy one bond in the nation, or are they allowed to buy multiple bonds?

4) Just to confirm, it's the total tax revenue (not "profit" or after paying armies / fleets) that determines your position on the tax chart and resulting advancement points right?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
casualgamer123 wrote:
1) Who pays for building factories / importing units?


The country with the director providing additional funds should the country be caught short.

Quote:
Are rondel movements (past three spaces) and bonds the only thing the player pays for out of his own pocket?


No, they're just the most common.

Quote:
2) When setting up the game, where does each country place its two factories?


On the spaces with square markers.

Quote:
3) With the non-investor card variant, my understanding is that each person is allowed to purchase bonds in the nation that's turn has just ended, starting with the player who represents the government. My question is this: can people only buy one bond in the nation, or are they allowed to buy multiple bonds?


One.

Quote:
4) Just to confirm, it's the total tax revenue (not "profit" or after paying armies / fleets) that determines your position on the tax chart and resulting advancement points right?


Correct.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgamer123 wrote:


3) With the non-investor card variant, my understanding is that each person is allowed to purchase bonds in the nation that's turn has just ended, starting with the player who represents the government. My question is this: can people only buy one bond in the nation, or are they allowed to buy multiple bonds?


Just to be sure here, you can only buy one bond per turn, but you can own any number of bonds of a country.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgamer123 wrote:
Are rondel movements (past three spaces) and bonds the only thing the player pays for out of his own pocket?



Yes, those are the most common as mentioned above ... the other time is when you stop on Investor and there is not enough money in the nation's treasury to pay dividends --- once that's been depleted, if anyone else is due payment, the director of the country starts paying out of his own pocket.


casualgamer123 wrote:
Just to be sure here, you can only buy one bond per turn, but you can own any number of bonds of a country.



That is correct ... with the flag going to whoever has invested the most amount into the country, not the total of the large numbers on each bond.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anon
msg tools
thanks so much for the clarifications folks! this really helps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anon
msg tools
So our next game went much more smoothly (amazing what understanding the rules does!), but unfortunately, some more issues emerged for clarification. Again, I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

1)When playing the variant without the investor card, after a country’s turn, is any player allowed to purchase a bond in that country, who, when offered the chance to do so, declined to do so?

An example might help: Player A runs / is the government of Russia. After Russia’s turn, Player A gets the first opportunity to purchase a bond, after which Player B, C, and D are allowed to purchase (assuming clockwise order is A, B, C, and D). Let’s say Players A, B, and C decline to purchase any bonds in Russia. Then, Player D purchases one bond. Can any of the other players then change their minds and decide to purchase a bond? The reason this came up is because there were consequences for who controlled the government. In other words, Player D’s decision to purchase a bond would have given him control of Russia, and Player A then wanted the opportunity to buy a bond to get back control. So what’s the protocol here?

2)My interpretation of the rules is that on a maneuver turn, a fleet can move to an adjacent sea region, AND then also transport an army across the sea region it just moved to. Is this correct? Or does a fleet’s use to transport an army "use up" its ability to move on that maneuver turn (or vice versa)?

3)Can a fleet attack another fleet that is still in the harbor of the factory which produced it? Also, can a fleet "occupy" (in a hostile fashion) a factory / shipyard of another country, like an army can occupy another country’s home province? The reason I ask this is we’ve realized it’s very difficult to stop the UK once it gets up and running, because it’s almost impossible to block its home provinces / factories.

Thanks again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Imperial » Forums » Rules
Re: Couple of rule questions - would really appreciate any timely help!
casualgamer123 wrote:
1)When playing the variant without the investor card, after a country’s turn, is any player allowed to purchase a bond in that country, who, when offered the chance to do so, declined to do so?


No. They are offered the choice once. They either take it or pass.

Quote:
2)My interpretation of the rules is that on a maneuver turn, a fleet can move to an adjacent sea region, AND then also transport an army across the sea region it just moved to. Is this correct?


Correct.

Quote:
3)Can a fleet attack another fleet that is still in the harbor of the factory which produced it?


Fleets can only attack fleets that are already at sea.

Quote:
Also, can a fleet "occupy" (in a hostile fashion) a factory / shipyard of another country, like an army can occupy another country’s home province?


No.


Quote:
The reason I ask this is we’ve realized it’s very difficult to stop the UK once it gets up and running, because it’s almost impossible to block its home provinces / factories.


Convoy armies there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.