Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
press release here on bgg at least is very limited...

wondering if four new single are sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

good point!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
As for the other questions, it looks like even Queen Games' website hasn't been updated with a press release or any information on Nomads. Looks like we'll be waiting to hear from them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
JeffyJeff wrote:
press release here on bgg at least is very limited...

wondering if four new single are sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?

It's not up to me to decide what information to give away about the expansion. However:

1) I don't imagine we'll switch from one-sided to double-sided boards. If you turn a board over it doesn't fit properly with the other boards (in addition to the combinations thing previously mentioned).

2) The blurb on BGG as it stands now describes a non-existent ability (place a piece adjacent to mountains).
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
donaldx wrote:

2) The blurb on BGG as it stands now describes a non-existent ability (place a piece adjacent to mountains).


Oh good, I thought that one sounded a bit dull!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
qwertymartin wrote:
donaldx wrote:

2) The blurb on BGG as it stands now describes a non-existent ability (place a piece adjacent to mountains).

Oh good, I thought that one sounded a bit dull!

I was going by images available to me via Queen, but yes, that one is now no longer in the folder.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Oh, and Queen Games has released a components shot that will answer some questions – yes, four separate game boards – while generating many more.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
W Eric Martin wrote:
Oh, and Queen Games has released a components shot that will answer some questions – yes, four separate game boards – while generating many more.

I see how you made that mistake now.

To clarify this image slightly: there are in fact four boards, and three scoring cards, however the image does not show all components included with the expansion.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
W Eric Martin wrote:
Oh, and Queen Games has released a components shot that will answer some questions – yes, four separate game boards – while generating many more.

I see you uploaded already, awesome, it's



which looks like 3 new kingdom scoring cards, and if anyone has great eyes may be able to make out the iconography for the new boards abilities:

add 3 settlements to a given terrain type (I see one all the terrain types)
move existing settlement exactly 4 hexes in a straight line
add 1 settlement to any terrain type
4th type of ability I've no idea... circled + signs 3 orthogonal adjacent but not straight line

also looks like settlements for a 5th player!? (red)... unless they are some kind of neutral color that work with the new boards abilities?

as for new scoring cards, can make out some of the text:

Ambassadors - build settlements adjacent to other players settlements. 1 gold for each of your own settlements built adjacent to at least one other players settlements

Families - ?

Shepherds - Build settles on one type .... 2 gold for ...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
I made my guesses on the image's page.

For the Shepherds, I bet it's "Build settlements on one type of terrain. 2 gold for every settlement on the type of terrain with the most settlements."

No clue for the Families. Thematically, you'd think they would be connected settlements, but that's already been done with the Citizens. So I'm not sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
JeffyJeff wrote:
add 3 settlements to a given terrain type (I see one all the terrain types)
move existing settlement exactly 4 hexes in a straight line
add 1 settlement to any terrain type
4th type of ability I've no idea... circled + signs 3 orthogonal adjacent but not straight line

also looks like settlements for a 5th player!? (red)... unless they are some kind of neutral color that work with the new boards abilities?

According to one knowledgeable source, yes, the expansion includes components for a fifth player.

But why would these tiles allow you to place three houses on a terrain when normally you can place (or move) only one with the bonus tiles? My wild speculation is that in games without a fifth player, players somehow acquire these tiles (or start the game with one) and they can use this action to fill up spaces with the neutral red houses to block off territory, whether to block opponents, allow yourself to expand into new locations, or both.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
W Eric Martin wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
add 3 settlements to a given terrain type (I see one all the terrain types)
move existing settlement exactly 4 hexes in a straight line
add 1 settlement to any terrain type
4th type of ability I've no idea... circled + signs 3 orthogonal adjacent but not straight line

also looks like settlements for a 5th player!? (red)... unless they are some kind of neutral color that work with the new boards abilities?

According to one knowledgeable source, yes, the expansion includes components for a fifth player.

But why would these tiles allow you to place three houses on a terrain when normally you can place (or move) only one with the bonus tiles? My wild speculation is that in games without a fifth player, players somehow acquire these tiles (or start the game with one) and they can use this action to fill up spaces with the neutral red houses to block off territory, whether to block opponents, allow yourself to expand into new locations, or both.


That sounds a lot more likely to me. I couldn't figure why one location would allow placement of three houses. This would make quite a bit more sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)


That is true, but you're assuming that there would need to be different locations on each side of the board. I would love to see the same location on both sides of the board (Harbor, Oracle, etc.) but with different terrain configurations.

Problem solved.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)


That is true, but you're assuming that there would need to be different locations on each side of the board. I would love to see the same location on both sides of the board (Harbor, Oracle, etc.) but with different terrain configurations.

Problem solved.


But then that still doesn't solve the problem that Donald brought up: the boards wouldn't necessarily fit with each other geometrically if you used the flip side. So then you'd have to use either all "side A" or all "side B" to make it work. Or stagger the boards so it's not a perfect rectangle (and that would confuse things like the Discoverers).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
W Eric Martin wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
add 3 settlements to a given terrain type (I see one all the terrain types)
move existing settlement exactly 4 hexes in a straight line
add 1 settlement to any terrain type
4th type of ability I've no idea... circled + signs 3 orthogonal adjacent but not straight line

also looks like settlements for a 5th player!? (red)... unless they are some kind of neutral color that work with the new boards abilities?

According to one knowledgeable source, yes, the expansion includes components for a fifth player.

But why would these tiles allow you to place three houses on a terrain when normally you can place (or move) only one with the bonus tiles? My wild speculation is that in games without a fifth player, players somehow acquire these tiles (or start the game with one) and they can use this action to fill up spaces with the neutral red houses to block off territory, whether to block opponents, allow yourself to expand into new locations, or both.


What if they were one-time use abilities? Maybe you draw one tile when you reach the location allowing you to at one point in the future place 3 settlements on the depicted terrain type. The idea of more powerful abilities that are limited in their use sounds like a fun idea to me. It would be hard to decide which locations I'd go for first.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
It looks like the tiles pictured are not location tiles, they seem like something totally different. The back side of the tiles shows a picture of Nomad Tents, and each board has 1 or more Nomad Tents instead of Castle locations (they are grey bordered). And the ability side of the tiles has a faded-out Nomad tent in the background, which is different from the Location tiles in the base game which have a plain background.

My best guess would be that you collect those Nomad Tiles by connecting to the Nomad locations, and you can use them instead of playing your Terrain card for the turn. They would be too powerful if you can use them every turn, but I suppose they might also be used some other way (e.g. one-time use).

I can see the following abilities:

1. Add 3 Houses to one specific terrain type (e.g. one tile each for Forest/Flowers/Water/Mountains/etc)
2. Add 1 House to any terrain
3. Remove 1 house and put it back into your supply
4. Move a single House 4 spaces in a line, and/or move 4 different houses 1 space each
5. Score 3 Victory Points (the tile with the 3 circled "+" symbols, shown on the VP track)

I'd guess that the red houses are support for a 5th player, but they might also be something else (e.g. a neutral player).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Faranim wrote:
I'd guess that the red houses are support for a 5th player, but they might also be something else (e.g. a neutral player).


It seems odd to me that the fifth player color would match the color of the settlements on the special action tiles.

I'd have to lean towards some sort of neutral/blocking mechanism.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Faranim wrote:
My best guess would be that you collect those Nomad Tiles by connecting to the Nomad locations, and you can use them instead of playing your Terrain card for the turn. They would be too powerful if you can use them every turn, but I suppose they might also be used some other way (e.g. one-time use).


I think they'd probably go the simpler route of just building next to the nomad tents to get the bonus tiles. But the thing about nomads is that they are constantly on the move, so you don't know exactly which power you are going to get by building next to a nomad tent.

It adds a bit of a gamble to it, since you don't really know if the nomad power you draw will be helpful for your long term strategy.

...That's what I think, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Dexter345 wrote:
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)


That is true, but you're assuming that there would need to be different locations on each side of the board. I would love to see the same location on both sides of the board (Harbor, Oracle, etc.) but with different terrain configurations.

Problem solved.


But then that still doesn't solve the problem that Donald brought up: the boards wouldn't necessarily fit with each other geometrically if you used the flip side. So then you'd have to use either all "side A" or all "side B" to make it work. Or stagger the boards so it's not a perfect rectangle (and that would confuse things like the Discoverers).


True, but I am a fan of options and variability, so I (personally) would gladly put up with those issues for more variety. I imagine a lot of other people would too. There is no incentive for the publisher to do so, however, as it decreases the ability to sell more expansions in the future.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)


That is true, but you're assuming that there would need to be different locations on each side of the board. I would love to see the same location on both sides of the board (Harbor, Oracle, etc.) but with different terrain configurations.

Problem solved.


But then that still doesn't solve the problem that Donald brought up: the boards wouldn't necessarily fit with each other geometrically if you used the flip side. So then you'd have to use either all "side A" or all "side B" to make it work. Or stagger the boards so it's not a perfect rectangle (and that would confuse things like the Discoverers).


True, but I am a fan of options and variability, so I (personally) would gladly put up with those issues for more variety. I imagine a lot of other people would too. There is no incentive for the publisher to do so, however, as it decreases the ability to sell more expansions in the future.


I sort of doubt that. You're suggesting that we will see an expansion in the future that uses existing location tiles but has different terrain setups than what already exists? That would hardly change the game at all, and I think most people would pass on something like that, unless it were a couple-dollar expansion board.

Also, as far as options and variability goes, it would only increase your options by a factor of two, which in a game with thousands of potential starting setups, is pretty negligible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: four new single sided boards or 2 double sided boards? how many new scoring cards? us availability and MSRP?
Dexter345 wrote:
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
raile wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably four single sided boards. The problem with double sided boards (and I believe the reason the base game has eight single sided boards) is that you wouldn't be able to play a game with certain combinations.

If, for instance, the base game came with four double sided boards, and the Harbor were opposite the Oracle, you would never have a game containing both the Harbor and the Oracle. Single sided boards allow for more combinations. (It also makes it much easier to count the number of combinations.)


That is true, but you're assuming that there would need to be different locations on each side of the board. I would love to see the same location on both sides of the board (Harbor, Oracle, etc.) but with different terrain configurations.

Problem solved.


But then that still doesn't solve the problem that Donald brought up: the boards wouldn't necessarily fit with each other geometrically if you used the flip side. So then you'd have to use either all "side A" or all "side B" to make it work. Or stagger the boards so it's not a perfect rectangle (and that would confuse things like the Discoverers).


True, but I am a fan of options and variability, so I (personally) would gladly put up with those issues for more variety. I imagine a lot of other people would too. There is no incentive for the publisher to do so, however, as it decreases the ability to sell more expansions in the future.


I sort of doubt that. You're suggesting that we will see an expansion in the future that uses existing location tiles but has different terrain setups than what already exists? That would hardly change the game at all, and I think most people would pass on something like that, unless it were a couple-dollar expansion board.

Also, as far as options and variability goes, it would only increase your options by a factor of two, which in a game with thousands of potential starting setups, is pretty negligible.


To each their own then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the desreption says, the red houses are for a fifth player

Quote:
Kingdom Builder: Nomads provides more options and more variety for Donald X. Vaccarino's Kingdom Builder, with four new game boards - and consequently four new powers associated with their respective game boards, such as the power to remove stone from a quarry. Additional Kingdom Builder scoring cards are included to provide new scoring opportunities, and red houses are included to allow for up to five to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder: Nomads » Forums » General
Re: Details on this 1st expansion (4 new boards, 3 new scoring cards, bits for possible 5th player support, ...
Jack Spirio wrote:
Like the desreption says, the red houses are for a fifth player
Quote:
Kingdom Builder: Nomads provides more options and more variety for Donald X. Vaccarino's Kingdom Builder, with four new game boards - and consequently four new powers associated with their respective game boards, such as the power to remove stone from a quarry. Additional Kingdom Builder scoring cards are included to provide new scoring opportunities, and red houses are included to allow for up to five to play.

lol, Eric edited the description (check the wiki "history") to add that after the above discussion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online, you can get the base game for about 40 bucks. I wonder how much this expansion is going to sell for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.