Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shuffling the team deck when it's empty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
xan wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi


I 've played this game so many times without giving any attention to this.
The rules state that we MUST shuffle our discard pile into a new team deck when there are no more cards.
I always shuffled when i needed to draw tho.

And well , what is the point of this rule , seems to me that it feels like a strange gameplay mechanic .
Especially when you sprint your last card to avoid a "1 card" ...
making you shuffle a new deck with 4 "1 card" and other cards , for exemple .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xanwan wrote:
And well , what is the point of this rule , seems to me that it feels like a strange gameplay mechanic .
Especially when you sprint your last card to avoid a "1 card" ...
making you shuffle a new deck with 4 "1 card" and other cards , for exemple .

It's not that strange. The reasons you're supposed to shuffle the discard pile when out of cards is basically because:
1) To actually use the sprint action mechanic to breeze past the weaker cards in ur hand (in hopes of drawing a better one)
2) To help minimize the "luck factor" and increase the strategy aspect of the game -meaning- that if you keep shuffling the team deck whenever you draw; you may (or may not) keep drawing players with more star power than your team should really have on the field.
Mind you -by playing it your way, it does bring an interesting aspect to the game. Gonna give a try

(EDIT: Spelling mistakes)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xan wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe i didn't explain myself well
i only shuffle when i need to draw AND my team deck is empty

not whenever i need to draw

in the rules , they say you must shuffle when the team deck is empty even if you don't need to draw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I fail to see the difference...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
Frankly, I fail to see the difference...

The difference can be significant: if you get to discard your big players before you need to draw up, that means you'll reshuffle them into your deck before you draw up.

In other cases, it doesn't make much of a difference, no.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xanwan wrote:
Maybe i didn't explain myself well
i only shuffle when i need to draw AND my team deck is empty

not whenever i need to draw

in the rules , they say you must shuffle when the team deck is empty even if you don't need to draw.

Actually you did explain yourself well -but it was me who misunderstood. Sorry for that whistle I see your point now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Ronaldson
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a rule we missed for our first couple of games is that you shuffle as soon as your deck is empty. So if you sprint your last card into your hand, you then shuffle a new deck and THEN you discard. This means that nasty lineman you discarded isn't in the new deck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xan wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
jimolideen wrote:
And a rule we missed for our first couple of games is that you shuffle as soon as your deck is empty. So if you sprint your last card into your hand, you then shuffle a new deck and THEN you discard. This means that nasty lineman you discarded isn't in the new deck.


Are you sure about that ? i thought you had to finish you current action to shuffle your deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Ronaldson
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what we thought would be more sensible but the only rule we could find said "each time a manager's team deck becomes depleted, he shuffles his discard pile and places it facedown to form a new team deck" (page 8). We couldn't find an FAQ so we thought we better interpret the rule literally. If you have good reason to think we're wrong then we would be happy to change.
Do you think they'll ever make an FAQ btw? None of us can get our head round how (almost entirely) useless one of the dwarf team upgrades is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xan wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
jimolideen wrote:
That is what we thought would be more sensible but the only rule we could find said "each time a manager's team deck becomes depleted, he shuffles his discard pile and places it facedown to form a new team deck" (page 8). We couldn't find an FAQ so we thought we better interpret the rule literally. If you have good reason to think we're wrong then we would be happy to change.
Do you think they'll ever make an FAQ btw? None of us can get our head round how (almost entirely) useless one of the dwarf team upgrades is.


your playing way seems fine actually , didn't think of it .
But i was more asking why this rule is required ? in the gameplay mechanic view.


i went into this situation : playing the skavens , the week headline made me draw two more players . during the week i managed to discard 3 linemen.
Now there is one more card in my team deck and 3 linemen in my discard pile , and it seemed silly to sprint to avoid 1 cards and get 4 ( or 3 in your playing way ) in my team deck again ... whereas sprint is made to avoid bad cards.
If i didn't have to shuffle again when my deck is empty it would have been better .

Maybe the shuffling rule applies only in the maintenance phase ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Ronaldson
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are quite a few times when you don't want to sprint. But I still think it is a very good ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xan wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game » Forums » Rules
Re: Shuffling the team deck when it's empty
Okay =) , by the way , is there anybody else who plays like this ?

jimolideen wrote:
And a rule we missed for our first couple of games is that you shuffle as soon as your deck is empty. So if you sprint your last card into your hand, you then shuffle a new deck and THEN you discard. This means that nasty lineman you discarded isn't in the new deck.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.