$10.00
Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
315 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Building a seventh skill card deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BSG_variants [+] [View All]
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But there is already a "If it passes skip the activate cylon ships" step, it's called Roll the Hard Six...

EDIT:
But I really like the skip the jump step as penalty.

(However I already see the catastrophe when a revealed cylon plays Caprica on SoE, and it fails, and someone asks whether we should skip BOTH jump icons or only one of them...)

I don't know. Would the "Faith positive + Jump or Cylons skipped" thing work together?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer this to Roll the Hard Six... I don't like how Roll the Hard Six has two unrelated abilities that trigger at different times and have different triggers.

Not that I have any bright ideas on how to fix Roll the Hard Six. It might actually be fine simply with the "damage Basestar/destroy Centurion" ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need more opinions before I throw away Rth6, which has been used many games and I did receive positive feedback for it... (and it's my favorite homebrewn card)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RTH6 is needed, simply because it's a Piloting Reckless card. I've been wanting a Piloting Reckless card ever since I bought Pegasus. No, actually, since I read up on Pegasus and went "huh, why isn't there a Piloting Reckless card?"

I like the "roll to destroy Centurion/damage basestar" part of it, I don't see why it has to do so much when the other Reckless cards are quite simple. I know: if the Skill Check is passed, you may roll again!
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
if the Skill Check is passed, you may roll again!


Gods damn it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So one more thing.
Should I switch the names of Higher Power, Blind Faith, Leap of Faith around in any way?
Or I can come up with "Have Faith" or something.

Would you like to rename any of the cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose swapping Leap of Faith and Blind Faith around might make more sense, but I don't really care about that... make sure it plays properly before we care about trivial stuff like card names!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea of introducing "Faith" to the game. It has been one of the focus points of the whole series, for both the Humans AND the Cylons.

Having faith has helped both the Humans AND the Cylons. So faith shouldn't be a negative for Humans. Here's what I think:

- Give these skill cards a zero point value.
- Allow both Humans and revealed Cylons (or CL) to use the effect text.
- The text should focus on interaction between the Humans and Cylons, and:
- Influencing skill checks - same as making a skill check reckless.

I'd like to see the concept of faith in a next expansion! Let's hope FFG reads your idea or comes up with something similar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
markino wrote:
The deck is starting to look really good!

Blind Faith is fine, but as Ripshawd said (I should just let him do all the talking), having two cards that are so similar doesn't feel right to me. I'd like another card that deals with Cylon ship activations...

Blind Faith
Skill Check: If this skill check passes by 4 or more, skip the Activate Cylon Ships step of this turn. If this check fails by 4 or more, skip the Prepare for Jump step of this turn.

Sounds okay?


I really like this! (See, this is why I don't do all the talking! There are so many clever people here on the Geek!)


I also like this. Is it possible to fold Roll the Hard Six into this, then think of a new Red Reckless?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schmloof wrote:
Ripshawd wrote:
markino wrote:
The deck is starting to look really good!

Blind Faith is fine, but as Ripshawd said (I should just let him do all the talking), having two cards that are so similar doesn't feel right to me. I'd like another card that deals with Cylon ship activations...

Blind Faith
Skill Check: If this skill check passes by 4 or more, skip the Activate Cylon Ships step of this turn. If this check fails by 4 or more, skip the Prepare for Jump step of this turn.

Sounds okay?


I really like this! (See, this is why I don't do all the talking! There are so many clever people here on the Geek!)


I also like this. Is it possible to fold Roll the Hard Six into this, then think of a new Red Reckless?

Check into V17 in an hour, and you'll see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm gonna be silly for a second.

Declaration of Faith 0 Movement: Discard this card to take a Devotion title of your choice.

Polytheist On your turn, when a skill check is resolved, you may discard a skill card to reduce the value of one Faith card in that check by 2 (minimum 0), or to increase it by 2.

Monotheist On your turn, when a skill check is resolved, you may discard a skill card to reduce the value of one Treachery card in that check by 2 (minimum 0), or to increase it by 2.

Atheist On your turn, when a skill check is resolved, you may draw one trauma token to discard one card from that skill check. If trauma tokens are not being used and you are not in Sick Bay, send yourself to Sick Bay to use this ability instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you're silly
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought as this has been rattling around in my brain all day.

Higher Power cards are almost always positive. In a revealed Cylon's hand they are next to worthless. You have to hope one of the Humans makes the check Reckless to throw this card away, and when the check is Reckless, there's usually a Treachery card you'd rather throw in.

It's the only card in BSG Skill Cards that is nearly worthless for a Cylon player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
Another thought as this has been rattling around in my brain all day.

Higher Power cards are almost always positive. In a revealed Cylon's hand they are next to worthless. You have to hope one of the Humans makes the check Reckless to throw this card away, and when the check is Reckless, there's usually a Treachery card you'd rather throw in.

It's the only card in BSG Skill Cards that is nearly worthless for a Cylon player.


This... makes sense, and is a valid criticism. Thematically it doesn't make sense for Cylons to be unable to use Higher Powers either

Oh well, just let it rot in their hands so the humans can't get access to it. Unless someone has a bright idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Blind Faith - Consequence icon - Skill Check Ability: All faith cards in this skill check count as positive strength. If it fails by 4 or more, skip the Prepare for Jump step, if it passes by 4 or more, skip the Cylon Activation step this turn.


What happens if Blind Faith is played during a non-Crisis skill check, and triggers one of the +4/-4 conditions?
For example, it shows up during an Admiral's Quarters check.
Does the "skip X" effect linger until the end of the turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I don't play w/Opera House (I only play F2F and troll PBF ) so I can't comment with respect to interactions there, but it seems like that's covered.

As noted, the most common faith card is the most useless for Cylons, so a revealed Cylon is unlikely to draw faith except as directed by other abilities.

What if the card has a movement/action ability that only a Cylon (or an unrevealed Cylon) would want to use?

Movement or Action: Draw 2 Treachery.

My rough estimate is that 2 treachery is not too powerful... unless you commonly play with some sort of auto-reckless ability (such as Razor Cut's less-than-zero means reckless). There's so few reckless checks anyway, and treachery needs some love. If you add extra (especially higher) cards to treachery, this may need to be just draw 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion » Forums » Variants
Re: Building a seventh skill card deck
InfoCynic wrote:
Hm, I don't play w/Opera House (I only play F2F and troll PBF ) so I can't comment with respect to interactions there, but it seems like that's covered.

As noted, the most common faith card is the most useless for Cylons, so a revealed Cylon is unlikely to draw faith except as directed by other abilities.

What if the card has a movement/action ability that only a Cylon (or an unrevealed Cylon) would want to use?

Movement or Action: Draw 2 Treachery.

My rough estimate is that 2 treachery is not too powerful... unless you commonly play with some sort of auto-reckless ability (such as Razor Cut's less-than-zero means reckless). There's so few reckless checks anyway, and treachery needs some love. If you add extra (especially higher) cards to treachery, this may need to be just draw 1.

You're forgetting the also common Godsent, which can be strongly pro-Cylon (and is also a move action), the amazing Touch their Souls (Apollo, discard two cards at random and draw two Treachery... oh, and face this crisis... oh and I draw another Faith card) and the horrifyingly bad for humans Leap of Faith. (No, you don't need to be at jump prep 3, I think that what you really need is a +1 population, now you have 13!)

And Touch their Souls can also be used to make another Cylon draw treachery, as it doesn't state that they MUST have two cards. So if they only have 1 or zero cards, it's a net gain.

Edit: As a Cylon, I'd play with the draw just for Touch their Souls and Leap of Faith as this being my common draw, rather than piloting. (That is, on turns when I was moving, otherwise I'd just use my move to draw one.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I still think leap of faith is broken but I figured that was obvious and being addressed :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Play before or during a skill check? How do you play an interrupt during a skill check? Once you start the skill check, you'd technically be checking for the destiny in the next skill check. That brings to light a whole new twist to scouting the Crisis Deck.

I think you really want to remove the 'or during' part of this card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:

Play before or during a skill check? How do you play an interrupt during a skill check? Once you start the skill check, you'd technically be checking for the destiny in the next skill check. That brings to light a whole new twist to scouting the Crisis Deck.

I think you really want to remove the 'or during' part of this card.



Either use "Play before a skill check" or "Play before cards are revealed". I prefer "play before a skill check" or play before cards are played into a check ... etc.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant with Guide them to their Destiny is that you don't have to play it with the interrupts.
You can go: "Everyone passes, then first two players play in, then you check Destiny, then you play in, etc", but with the "play destiny's cards first" thing, the current cards are no longer on top, so I see the problem. Easiest fix is to probably remove the during, yeah.

I like InfoCynic's idea for Higher Power. Since my cards are going to the printer in an hour, I can't think much about it I'll just put it there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, was the intent of this card for one person to look at the Destiny cards, or for them to be revealed?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:

Also, was the intent of this card for one person to look at the Destiny cards, or for them to be revealed?


Originally it was for everyone. But that was a human-only interrupt, so based on Ripshawd's suggestion upthread (or was that in private?) I've changed it so only one person can look at it. This way it can be both pro-cylon and pro-human.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
LL6869 wrote:

Also, was the intent of this card for one person to look at the Destiny cards, or for them to be revealed?


Originally it was for everyone. But that was a human-only interrupt, so based on Ripshawd's suggestion upthread (or was that in private?) I've changed it so only one person can look at it. This way it can be both pro-cylon and pro-human.


can it be played multiple times to ensure that someone is telling the truth?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.