$10.00
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished punching my entire World at War collection and it worked very well!

I found it best to slide the counters in by placing it on an edge and then sliding along the edge as opposed to putting it from directly in front.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered... I wish I had the fortitude to such overwhelming peer pressure. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Mihalarias
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My worry is that it would take forever to clip the chits corner-by-corner, one-by-one. What I like about the C4 thingamabob is that I can slice about 8 of those suckers at a time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamburlain wrote:
My worry is that it would take forever to clip the chits corner-by-corner, one-by-one. What I like about the C4 thingamabob is that I can slice about 8 of those suckers at a time.


I just clipped the counters for Right Fierce & Terrible: Sluys 1340 using the Oregon Lamination 3mm tool. The large, one-inch ship counters looked great and were not too numerous to do one at a time. The one-half-inch counters for the marines themselves, though, caused me to test an alternative. I tried the Oregon Laminations tool and was concerned that too much was being taken off: the counters were nearly circular.

I ended up using the C4 Counter Clipper for them and was happy with the results. I must say that in my experience, the C4 starts to be more trouble than it's worth for stacks taller than five counters (recuts necessary on the bottom counters, specifically), but that might say more to my faulty technique than to any inherent limitation in the tool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
I ordered from the Amazon link and got a product from Oregon Laminations, I'll have to check the product number later.

I was surprised to see the extremely cheap looking, "made in china" box the clipper itself came in (with a picture of clipping the corners on a credit card... um, what exactly is this product designed for?)

However I'm also willing to believe Phantom Fury has unusually thick counters, so I'm going to try with BoB like someone else here recommended...


Ok good news! It was all Phantom Fury's 'fault' for it's overly thick, disgustingly deluxe, glossy counters.

Tried punching my Band of Brothers counters and this thing worked like a champ!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
I ordered from the Amazon link and got a product from Oregon Laminations, I'll have to check the product number later.

I was surprised to see the extremely cheap looking, "made in china" box the clipper itself came in (with a picture of clipping the corners on a credit card... um, what exactly is this product designed for?)

However I'm also willing to believe Phantom Fury has unusually thick counters, so I'm going to try with BoB like someone else here recommended...


Ok good news! It was all Phantom Fury's 'fault' for it's overly thick, disgustingly deluxe, glossy counters.

Tried punching my Band of Brothers counters and this thing worked like a champ!


Argh, I already nail-clipped my BoB counters, but I still have to do my Phantom Fury counters. Sigh. . .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered one!


I bought the Crop-o-dile to clip my SE4X counters and it worked well enough but it took a LOT of careful positioning, many double-cuts where the counter didn't cut through all the way and lots of after-clipping cleanup on the edges.

$20 more to end the aggravation?
Considering the number of games I still have to clip?

It's a bargain.

-Thanks for the thread!-

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this on counters that were already clipped? I'm curious what the results of that are.

EDIT: I'm specifically wondering what it will do to a counter clipped like the one in this picture.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Has anyone tried this on counters that were already clipped? I'm curious what the results of that are.
Well, it depends a lot on how heavily clipped they were - but I did re-clip one game that had very lightly clipped 5/8" counters, and it looked just like the ones that had been clipped from new... If your counters are more heavily clipped beforehand, the results may look... odd...

EDIT: yeah, the ones I did, successfully, were much like those, but 5/8"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the consensus that these babies don't work very well with 1/2" counters?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They work just fine with 1/2" counters - but you have to be slower & more careful, as the shorter edges mean the counter is less securely located in the 'V' of the clipper. What I've noticed is you must make sure the clipper is fully opened between clips - I have big hands, and even so I find the odd time when I don't open the clipper legs fully, and the counter does not get all the way into the 'V' - that's a bigger problem with 1/2" counters, as bigger counters are easier to shove into place, and it's more visibly obvious.

I have now, however, clipped a few full games with 1/2" counters, quite happily. I don't even have to look, most of the time, I've learned how they 'feel'. I did produce some odd-shaped counters to get to this stage though... shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
So is the consensus that these babies don't work very well with 1/2" counters?


They work fine, but may be more rounded that you prefer. I'd buy a 2mm one if there was one. I haven't had any alignment problems as long as I use it where I can see the counter going in. Best to test on some blanks first to get the hang of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the tip I included in my review. The review is on page 4 of this thread.

-As mentioned above, take extra care to align the smaller counters. For me, instead of wedging the counter into the corner of the alignment guide as I had done on the bigger counters, I picked one side of the alignment head and held the sides of the smaller counters against that side for each corner clip. It seemed to produce the best results. Just slow down a bit when doing smaller counters and you should be fine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
So is the consensus that these babies don't work very well with 1/2" counters?


Ultimately up to you - here is the results



It does take a bit longer than the 5/8th - but not rediculously longer (say 15 to 20%) - oh and sorry for the crappy picture - was doing while I was on a conferance call. ninja
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't look bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:

Argh, I already nail-clipped my BoB counters, but I still have to do my Phantom Fury counters. Sigh. . .


Bummer...

Guess you'll need to buy something new so you have something to clip! :-D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly confirm the Phantom Fury countersheet (just the sheet edge - I didn't try any counters!) is too thick for this tool. It's the only one I've seen so far. I thought the card I use for pnP counters might be similarly thick, but it's OK - that's one damn thick counter sheet!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heath
China
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames » Forums » General
Re: Implementing the Perfect Solution... to counter clipping
5 pages?

5 pages?!?

shake
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We take our counter clipping seriously.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I can certainly confirm the Phantom Fury countersheet (just the sheet edge - I didn't try any counters!) is too thick for this tool. It's the only one I've seen so far. I thought the card I use for pnP counters might be similarly thick, but it's OK - that's one damn thick counter sheet!


On the other hand, since Phantom Fury doesn't have hexes, those counters only really need clipping if they punch dog-eared.

Heresy, I know!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
..., those counters only really need clipping if they punch dog-eared.

Heresy, I know!


All. Counters. Must. Be. Clipped!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Got mine today. Just clipped all my Space Infantry counters... they look fantastic !
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heath
China
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richdodgin wrote:

Got mine today. Just clipped all my Space Infantry counters... they look fantastic !


You know the internet rules: pics or it didn't happen.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:

On the other hand, since Phantom Fury doesn't have hexes, those counters only really need clipping if they punch dog-eared.


This is not about utility. Counter clipping is just good hygine!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It took almost two weeks, but I finally ordered the 3mm corner clipper from Amazon. blush

It would have been sooner but I had to wait for my shiny new Amazon credit card to be approved. This way I get $30 off my clipper. surprise

Best $4.95 clipper I have ever owned. arrrh
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [93] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.