$10.00
Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
114 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » News

Subject: A few acres of snow 2nd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been saying for a long time now that the main part of the solution is to penalise the thin deck in this way: don't allow the discard deck to be shuffled until after you pick up cards at the end of the turn. This leaves a player using a really thin deck, which is being pushed to yield lots of money for instance, short of cards on the next turn, as well as less able to counter raids and ambushes. It also stops you drafting cards and getting them to hand in the same turn with the same rule.

Negative comments for my suggestion have included that "its against the spirit of the game", but from what I have read of Martin's comments it is the ultra-thin deck that was unanticipated and therefore in a sense "against the spirit of the game". Until you kill the ultra-thin strategies I think the game will just continue to be problematic.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I have been saying for a long time now that the main part of the solution is to penalise the thin deck in this way: don't allow the discard deck to be shuffled until after you pick up cards at the end of the turn. This leaves a player using a really thin deck, which is being pushed to yield lots of money for instance, short of cards on the next turn, as well as less able to counter raids and ambushes. It also stops you drafting cards and getting them to hand in the same turn with the same rule.

Negative comments for my suggestion have included that "its against the spirit of the game", but from what I have read of Martin's comments it is the ultra-thin deck that was unanticipated and therefore in a sense "against the spirit of the game". Until you kill the ultra-thin strategies I think the game will just continue to be problematic.


Hey Mike, that's a clever idea. I had not seen that previously but it's intriguing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Charles, see the thread "Countering Ultra-thin Deck Abuse" under Variants for further discussion of this. I have played it that way for all my recent games.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I have been saying for a long time now that the main part of the solution is to penalise the thin deck in this way: don't allow the discard deck to be shuffled until after you pick up cards at the end of the turn. This leaves a player using a really thin deck, which is being pushed to yield lots of money for instance, short of cards on the next turn, as well as less able to counter raids and ambushes. It also stops you drafting cards and getting them to hand in the same turn with the same rule.

Negative comments for my suggestion have included that "its against the spirit of the game", but from what I have read of Martin's comments it is the ultra-thin deck that was unanticipated and therefore in a sense "against the spirit of the game". Until you kill the ultra-thin strategies I think the game will just continue to be problematic.


Mike, how to proceed in this case: I have 2 cards in the draw pile, I use 2 cards in my turn. I draw 2 cards, now the draw pile is empty, but I don't "need" more cards. I shuffle now? I think we should.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the draw is now empty and at the end of the turn the discard shuffles and is ready to draw from in your next turn. So if you use exactly the same number as are in your draw you don't suffer. If you use more than is in your draw you are going to go through the opposing player's turn with less than 5 (could hurt against raids and ambushes) and enter your turn with less than 5. Still worth doing in some circumstances... but the efficiency of the British ultra-thin deck money engine is dented significantly.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow » Forums » News
Re: A few acres of snow 2nd edition
Mantuanwar wrote:
Yes, the draw is now empty and at the end of the turn the discard shuffles and is ready to draw from in your next turn. So if you use exactly the same number as are in your draw you don't suffer. If you use more than is in your draw you are going to go through the opposing player's turn with less than 5 (could hurt against raids and ambushes) and enter your turn with less than 5. Still worth doing in some circumstances... but the efficiency of the British ultra-thin deck money engine is dented significantly.

I actually like the way it affects the flow of the game... There's something very seasonal to it. Getting close to the end of your deck is almost like seeing winter coming, and having to prepare for it knowing the resources may be limited
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I have been saying for a long time now that the main part of the solution is to penalise the thin deck in this way: don't allow the discard deck to be shuffled until after you pick up cards at the end of the turn. This leaves a player using a really thin deck, which is being pushed to yield lots of money for instance, short of cards on the next turn, as well as less able to counter raids and ambushes. It also stops you drafting cards and getting them to hand in the same turn with the same rule.

So the question is: does it really make HH a considerably less viable strategy, that can be sensibly discarded in favour o different one?

It'd be such a simple and elegant fix if it does.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it that way quite a few times. But I have not tested it hard and repeatedly against an opponent determined to try to implement the HH in spite of it. You are right that this would need to be done. At this point I am just happy to have gathered a little interest, whereas back in November the idea was just dismissed out of hand, or went unnoticed with so many other proposals being made.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
I have played it that way quite a few times. But I have not tested it hard and repeatedly against an opponent determined to try to implement the HH in spite of it. You are right that this would need to be done. At this point I am just happy to have gathered a little interest, whereas back in November the idea was just dismissed out of hand, or went unnoticed with so many other proposals being made.


The issue is finding a way to test these online. It may be a combination of a few small tweaks that can not only fix the HH but also not make the French too powerful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
Yes, the draw is now empty and at the end of the turn the discard shuffles and is ready to draw from in your next turn. So if you use exactly the same number as are in your draw you don't suffer. If you use more than is in your draw you are going to go through the opposing player's turn with less than 5 (could hurt against raids and ambushes) and enter your turn with less than 5. Still worth doing in some circumstances... but the efficiency of the British ultra-thin deck money engine is dented significantly.


I agree with that suggestion.
This seems an easy option to be put on test on Yucata, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hav'nt played on Yucata at all so I don't know how easy it would be to implement there. I also have not played AFAOS in over a month. My son is burnt out on it, and if I want to play somebody else there is the usual variant problem of "and by the way, we need to use these extra little rules here..." met by raised eyebrows and deep suspicion in the eyes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sheola
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luish wrote:
Mantuanwar wrote:
Yes, the draw is now empty and at the end of the turn the discard shuffles and is ready to draw from in your next turn. So if you use exactly the same number as are in your draw you don't suffer. If you use more than is in your draw you are going to go through the opposing player's turn with less than 5 (could hurt against raids and ambushes) and enter your turn with less than 5. Still worth doing in some circumstances... but the efficiency of the British ultra-thin deck money engine is dented significantly.


I agree with that suggestion.
This seems an easy option to be put on test on Yucata, no?


Well, the game interface handles things the drawing and shuffling automatically, so you wouldn't be able to test this on Yucata unless they reprogram the game, which probably isn't going to happen unless MW makes more official changes to the rules, so no, you couldn't test this on Yucata. It's an interesting idea though. I played one game that way and it seemed to have potential.

I have been playing with a house-rule that CAN easily be tested on Yucata, and so far I am encouraged by the way it seems to break the HH strategy. Details and discussion at this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/reply/8753147
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back to the original post in this thread, any word on an approximate release date. In Feb. the site listed May/June as the likely release but someone else mentioned that GenCon (August) was the new release according to Mayfair. Any more solid in on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ICV2 has announced that Asmodee will be distributing the 2nd edition of AFAoS.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/24393.html

Releases in January, 2013.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.