$10.00
Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Kingdom Builder» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another Terrain Card variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is inspired my Mission: Red Planet, though I think I've seen it in other games.


Give everybody a hand of 1 terrain card of each type. When you play a terrain card, you play it in front of you and leave it there. Once you've played a terrain card of each type, you can pick up the pile and again play any type of terrain card.

(Of course, in M:RP you can pick up your cards earlier for a penalty (the penalty is using a sucky character / almost skipping a turn), but I'm not sure how to work that into KB.)

I'm just riffing here - go try it and get back to me
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I personally would change it so you can pick up the cards once you have one hand card left. That way you aren't forced to play through every terrain again and again. That makes it less repetitive and also less predictable.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder » Forums » Variants
Re: Another Terrain Card variant
Kempeth wrote:
Interesting. I personally would change it so you can pick up the cards once you have one hand card left. That way you aren't forced to play through every terrain again and again. That makes it less repetitive and also less predictable.


Yeah, that's a good fix.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
(Of course, in M:RP you can pick up your cards earlier for a penalty (the penalty is using a sucky character / almost skipping a turn), but I'm not sure how to work that into KB.)
Here's a thought: for each card above 0, you play one fewer settlements. So if there's one card left in your hand when you reclaim, you play 2; with two left in your hand, you play 1, and with three or four, you play none.

(Obviously, with the above suggestion of raising the limit to 1, you'd adjust accordingly: with two in your hand, you play 2 settlements, with three you play one.)

(Disclaimer: I've played the game once, and was so frustrated by the "draw-one-and-play-it" mechanic that I'm not sure I'd play it again without a variant. So take this for what you will, but it's a thought.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
This is inspired my Mission: Red Planet, though I think I've seen it in other games.


Give everybody a hand of 1 terrain card of each type. When you play a terrain card, you play it in front of you and leave it there. Once you've played a terrain card of each type, you can pick up the pile and again play any type of terrain card.

(Of course, in M:RP you can pick up your cards earlier for a penalty (the penalty is using a sucky character / almost skipping a turn), but I'm not sure how to work that into KB.)

I'm just riffing here - go try it and get back to me


Kempeth wrote:
Interesting. I personally would change it so you can pick up the cards once you have one hand card left. That way you aren't forced to play through every terrain again and again. That makes it less repetitive and also less predictable.


My wife and I just tried this tonight. She hated it, I loved it. YMMV.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.