Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Gaming, Always a weighty problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never struggled with my weight, forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, but I would caution people about dieting in the normal sense of the word. Diets, as we use the term, are considered temporary. "Well, if I just diet for the next few months, I can lose these 10 pounds." The problem is the assumption is made that after "the next few months", I can go back to eating whatever I want. Losing weight involves a lifestyle change, whether it be eating better, working out more, or a combination of the two. In my case, I work out more so I can be a little more free to eat what I want. Now, I still don't eat poorly (I have never been much of a sweets guy, but beef jerky...mmmmm). You may want to eat healthier and work out less, to each his/her own.

I encourage anyone to take control of their weight and do what works for you. It takes courage to come on here and admit you have a weight problem and I admire those of you who have.

As a suggestion to combine gaming and weight loss, every time someone asks "Who's turn is it?", you get down and do 20 push-ups. At least in my game group, everyone would be fit in no time.

Good Luck!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some have said above, changing our bodies requires lifestyle changes that are often not easy. Some small, maintainable steps may help you build momentum.

For example, establish a personal rule to not eat 60-90 minutes before bedtime, when your body has less chance to work off the calories. If you need a bedtime snack to get to sleep, keep it very small and light.

Another idea: see if any of your gaming friends would like to take a walk between games. Play a game, then take a 10-minute walk before starting the next game. You might find that you have more mental energy for the second game as a side benefit!

When staring at the whole problem, it's not easy at all. Small steps that you can repeat and maintain can help you build confidence to try larger steps. Or you might find that a few small steps are enough to reach your "happy place". Set your own goals (along with your doctor, perhaps); don't strive for an image that others say is the ideal.

Blessings!
Phil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
I have never struggled with my weight, forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, but I would caution people about dieting in the normal sense of the word. Diets, as we use the term, are considered temporary. "Well, if I just diet for the next few months, I can lose these 10 pounds." The problem is the assumption is made that after "the next few months", I can go back to eating whatever I want. Losing weight involves a lifestyle change, whether it be eating better, working out more, or a combination of the two. In my case, I work out more so I can be a little more free to eat what I want. Now, I still don't eat poorly (I have never been much of a sweets guy, but beef jerky...mmmmm). You may want to eat healthier and work out less, to each his/her own.

I encourage anyone to take control of their weight and do what works for you. It takes courage to come on here and admit you have a weight problem and I admire those of you who have.

As a suggestion to combine gaming and weight loss, every time someone asks "Who's turn is it?", you get down and do 20 push-ups. At least in my game group, everyone would be fit in no time.

Good Luck!



This a thousand times over. You can lose weight by dieting, but you can only keep it off by changing your lifestyle.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossfit
Crossfit is a fantastic way to get in shape. It may look intimidating at first, but Crossfit is very scalable for all ages and fitness levels. The Crossfit community is great and very supportive. There are affiliates all over. If one is close to you, it can't hurt to take a look and see if it is for you.

www.crossfit.com

I love Crossfit and cannot see myself not doing it. If you are able to make the commitment, and it is a commitment, it will be well worth it.

*I have no business interest in Crossfit.

Hope it helps and good luck,
Mike
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably one of the fittest people on this site. I'm 6'7", 215lbs. at about 10-12% bodyfat. I fight competitively and work out hard.

The first thing I tell anyone looking to get in better shape, is "decide what your goal is".

Too often, people get on programs that are designed to achieve results far beyond what they are after. As a result, the programs are too intense, and the people fail and decide they just can't do it. If you're just looking to drop 10 pounds, you don't need P90X. You can drop 10 pounds by drinking water, doing squats, cutting out SIMPLE carbs, and doing some crossfit style training 3 days a week. It doesn't have to be insane (so no, you don't have to pay a visit to uncle Rhabdo).

However, if you're to be a swimsuit model, hey, get ready for hell.

Most people want to feel confident in a bathing suit. They don't really care how much they can bench, or whether they look nice and striated.

Here's a simple, idiot proof guide to looking and feeling better:

1. Eat more. You need to keep your metabolism going. Eat smaller meals, but eat 5-6 times a day. This takes a bit of planning and adaptation., but the difference is huge. In other words, rather then trying to cut calories, train your body to use them more efficiently.

2. Goodbye simple carbs. White bread, white rice, white pasta = GONE. Except directly post workout, where spiking your insulin is good for testosterone production which is an excellent fat burner.

3. Exercise with intensity. If you aren't sweating, you aren't working (So reading a book on the stair climber is a huge waste of time). However, remember this rule - Muscle pain = good, joint pain = bad. If it starts to hurt your joints, you need to scale back. Once the muscle is burned, so are you.

4. Learn as many exercises as you can, and mix up your routines. Body weight exercises are awesome. You can do them anywhere and you don't need to spend any money. This will keep you from getting bored.

5. Set realistic goals and go for them. First, benchmark yourself. How many push ups can you do? Now set a goal for double that number! Get there, and then set a new goal.

6. DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF!!! Take a picture. Then take another one in 6 months. Prepare to be amazed. You may only be 10 pounds lighter, but the extra 15 pounds of muscle you packed on off set the the 25 pounds of fat you lost. (Caveat: gains will be fast and furious at the beginning, but they WILL slow, you WILL plateau and you will have to dig deep and change up to keep progressing...IF you want to, if you're happy, then just maintain and enjoy your new body).

7. Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER buy the hype of diet and workout products. The pictures are bull shit on a level you can't imagine. At my old gym a few companies used to do photoshoots. Sure, the models are in shape, but the level of trickery and photo shop involved is staggering.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek » Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming
Re: Board Gaming, Always a weighty problem
I can add a couple of things here.

1. You can't eat what you don't have. Consciousness about good food choices start at the grocery store not at the kitchen table. You've already won the battle if there's no things to fight you.

2. Identify problem spaces. Where do you have a tendency to make bad food choices? Do you drink a lot of soda or find yourself buying bad stuff out of the vending machine at the office? Supplement a bag lunch from home with a couple of good snacks that you can eat at your desk (there are prepackaged 100 calorie snacks that are awesome for this). Do you get hungry on your drive home? Get some of those same snacks and leave them in the car.

3. Try new things. Once you've found a retinue of meals, snacks, and exercise that works for you, you may find that you hit a plateau after a period of success. That's not the time to get discouraged. It's time to shake things up. Changing the amount that you exercise, the types of exercises, or your nutrition makeup could get you back on track.

With all of this, be sure that you have a physician's advice to make sure that you're making the right choices for your current health outlook.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing weight gets harder the older we get. One of the big issues is time. You have to have enough time or make enough time in the day to be active. As people have mentioned, being active is easier said than done. "Working out" is often not much fun, especially for those who are already feeling self-conscious and then look around the gym and see toned and buff men and women sweating away. Some like to go to the local gym, but there's a reason so many are open and making money - people sign up, start, and then stop going while still paying their membership fees.

I'm an advocate of going outside and finding something you really enjoy doing. Hell, bird watching can be great exercise if you're outside for a full Saturday walking around a park. I cycle to work to get my exercise in each morning and afternoon because I know I'm not disciplined enough to exercise after getting home for the day.

Burn more calories than you ingest and you'll lose weight. That's the basic math, but oh, man, it can be so hard some days. Come home in a bad mood and it's so easy to eat for comfort. I know this too well.

Good luck with this. It's great that you started a guild; I hope it helps you and anyone else who joins it. It's very true that many boardgame fanatics could stand to lead healthier lifestyles. There's a lot of soda, chips, and pizza at boardgame conventions. Not judging - just an observation.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:

6. DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF!!!


I second this piece of advice. Don't get obsessed with the number showing on the scale. It can be discouraging when the number doesn't drop consistently. Just know that you'll start to feel better, have more energy, and feel different as the pounds drop.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought this was another thread about the weight of game mechanics!

I've struggled all my life with being overweight. I've had the most success recently, running that second marathon in a row. I still am repeating the gain, gain, diet, gain...etc. pattern but have made my peace with hit. I no longer have the big swings in weight and the more modest weight gain no longer carries that sense of disappointment it once did; it's more of a management issue now. I'll share what's worked for me in board game terms.

1. Know what you like: Don't try to make yourself like a game in the top ten if it's not you. Similarly, the skinniest "you" might not be associated with the lifestyle that would be enjoyable to you. I've lost a lot of weight - not all the weight I could lose - but enough to make me comfortable with myself - without worrying about eating foods I love. If I overdo it one weekend, I exercise more and cut back later. Decide realistically what kind of person you want to be and lifestyle you would enjoy.

2. Leveling up: Make incremental goals not tied to the scale. Pants sizes work well for me. With exercise, make realistic, incremental goals.

3. Theme wed to the mechanics: With exercise, find a way to enjoy it and make it meaningful. I bought mp3 college courses from the "Great Courses" company and listened to them as I ran. I got smarter as I ran and the left brain activity took my mind off the pain.

4. "It is the goal that is important": Set a goal (pants size, 10K, marathon, etc.) and make a calendar of stepping stones to that goal. Check off as you go. Consider giving yourself a reward for reaching stepping stones on the calendar, particularly the final goal.

Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:

6. DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF!!!


I second this piece of advice. Don't get obsessed with the number showing on the scale. It can be discouraging when the number doesn't drop consistently. Just know that you'll start to feel better, have more energy, and feel different as the pounds drop.


Not to mention that, if you're exercising along with nutrition changes, muscle weighs something too. So, you lose fat weight and gain muscle weight. Depending on the situation, you could run into some time where it doesn't seem like anything is happening if one fixates on the number on the scale.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Smith
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also been lucky enough to not get fat. I have made a few observations, so if these apply, take them to heart, if they don't apply to your situation, ignore them.

Learn to cook. Eating out is the worst thing you can possibly do to yourself. Also, most everything in a plastic tray is awful for you, regardless of how healthy it claims to be. Bags of steamed veggies are fantastic. Chicken and turkey makes for good protein. You also want complex carbs. So white bread and most pastries and cakes are out. Whole grains are where you want to get your carbs. Also, swap water for soda.

If you are so obese you have mobility problems, this won't be so relevant at the moment. But if you still have your mobility, find a physical activity you enjoy. Swimming, biking, hiking, rock climbing, martial arts, yoga, whatever. Is there anything you always wanted to do but always think to yourself "I'm too fat for that"? DO IT! Doing it, and doing it earnestly will fix the "too fat" problem.

If you have mobility issues, I would suggest swimming or Tai Chi actually. Swimming is known for being low impact. But Tai Chi is actually really good for becoming more aware of your body, how it moves, and getting all those muscles you forgot about to activate again. It's also low impact which is a huge plus. Yoga can also be quite good at helping you get your mobility back, although its emphasis on balance could be an issue.

And, this is the hardest part, make friends who also stay fit! The best way to stay motivated is to have a little healthy competition amongst friends. It also helps when you can consult each other about what activities you have discovered lately, and what has worked for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to add that there has been talk of a newer study done that shows that getting up and moving around very often (like at least every hour) is better than being sedentary all week except for three 45 min hard exercise periods each week.

You DON'T have to work up a sweat, just move. Take short walks even if it's just around the office or the house, take longer walks outside and don't worry about your speed. Just move as often as you can. I can't find the study right now but I will keep looking for the link.

It also said that people who exercise hard 2 or 3 times a week tend to undo all the good they did afterwards by rewarding themselves with some high calorie treat.

I think if you want dramatic and extremely fast weight loss you need to push hard with the exercise and diet, but if that's too much for you, don't despair, just start moving more and don't worry that you aren't an Olympic athlete. And of course, eat more healthfully.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
Losing weight gets harder the older we get. One of the big issues is time. You have to have enough time or make enough time in the day to be active. As people have mentioned, being active is easier said than done. "Working out" is often not much fun, especially for those who are already feeling self-conscious and then look around the gym and see toned and buff men and women sweating away. Some like to go to the local gym, but there's a reason so many are open and making money - people sign up, start, and then stop going while still paying their membership fees.

I'm an advocate of going outside and finding something you really enjoy doing. Hell, bird watching can be great exercise if you're outside for a full Saturday walking around a park. I cycle to work to get my exercise in each morning and afternoon because I know I'm not disciplined enough to exercise after getting home for the day.

Burn more calories than you ingest and you'll lose weight. That's the basic math, but oh, man, it can be so hard some days. Come home in a bad mood and it's so easy to eat for comfort. I know this too well.

Good luck with this. It's great that you started a guild; I hope it helps you and anyone else who joins it. It's very true that many boardgame fanatics could stand to lead healthier lifestyles. There's a lot of soda, chips, and pizza at boardgame conventions. Not judging - just an observation.


I'm sorry but I have to categorically disagree with almost everything you've said.

First, going to the gym is not required. You can have a super effective workout at home. No gym is required. Sure, if you want to be a bodybuilder then yeah, you need heavy weights, but for 99% of the population, bodyweight exercises are enough. Push ups, jumping squats, burpees, kickouts, planks, and the multitude of variations are more than enough to work you out viciously.

They will tone and sculpt you if done with intensity. Time is NOT the issue. Skip two sitcoms and you have time to do a serious workout.

Second, bird watching is not, and will not be great exercise. The increased caloric burn from birdwatching is just barely above breathing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't good for you, but it isn't intense enough for the purposes of weight loss.

INTENSITY IS KEY!

Bird watching will not spike your metabolic rate. You need to get your heart rate up and keep it up. Cycling is fantastic though. If more people biked to work we'd have vastly less obesity. Obviously, you don't want to knock yourself out on your way to work, but there's no reason not to work it hard on your way home and build up a good sweat.

Creating a calorie deficit is a terrible thing to do if you don't support it by increasing your metabolism. If you starve yourself, your metabolism slows down to conserve the energy it has. So eventually, when you do start eating again, you gain even more wieght, because your bodfy can't use the calories.

People have to stop thinking about this as "weight loss" and start thinking about it as "body recomposition".

Coming home in a bad mood is GREAT! I use it as fuel. Sometimes I get home after a brutal day and I go ATTACK the weights (yes, I use weights, but you don't have to). It gets my stress out. I have a nice meal after and take a shower and I feel great.

One good piece of advice I forgot to mention is this:

LEARN TO COOK!

Seriously. If you know how to prepare food, you can make healthy meals that are truly delicious. SO much of the "health food" craze is so over the top and militant that most people can't stick to it. Hey, if you want a ripped six pack, then yeah, you need to be militant. But most people don't care to go that far. They want to look good in their clothes and feel confident when they take their shirt off.

Some fat is ok! Go ahead, USE BUTTER! (But preferably Olive Oil). Just don't use butter, with a ton of cheese, and salt, and simple carbs and fatty cuts of meat. Now you have a problem. Remember, not all calories are created equal.

If anyone here wants some specific help, post up your goals and I'll design you a basic and simple plan top get you there. Given, nothing should be done without consulting a medical professional first.

Cheers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
I wanted to add that there has been talk of a newer study done that shows that getting up and moving around very often (like at least every hour) is better than being sedentary all week except for three 45 min hard exercise periods each week.

You DON'T have to work up a sweat, just move. Take short walks even if it's just around the office or the house, take longer walks outside and don't worry about your speed. Just move as often as you can. I can't find the study right now but I will keep looking for the link.

It also said that people who exercise hard 2 or 3 times a week tend to undo all the good they did afterwards by rewarding themselves with some high calorie treat.

I think if you want dramatic and extremely fast weight loss you need to push hard with the exercise and diet, but if that's too much for you, don't despair, just start moving more and don't worry that you aren't an Olympic athlete. And of course, eat more healthfully.


What you've talking about is what I'm talking about. If you stay sedentary, your body switches gears and goes into a sort of "hibernation mode". You need to get up and move around to stop this from happening.

However, it DOES have to be supplemented with intense exercise to create any real changes in body composition.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.