Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Sorry... not interested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Respectfully, was there any purpose for this thread? Has the OP actually played Rex and found it lacking compared to Dune? Has the OP read the rules and not liked the changes?

Or is this just a way to get a flame war started?

I'm very excited about Rex. Dune is expensive and hard to find and I love the TI universe. I love the Dune universe too, but we boardgamers should be happy to have a classic reskinned if that is the only way new gamers can have access to it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun S
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doctor_Zaius wrote:
shake

Dune without dune? I was looking forward to the remake and then they announced that it was set in the TI universe instead of the Dune universe. At least this retains the value of the original game since purists will have 0 interest in this version.

Let's just hope they don't lose the merchant of venus lawsuit and have to change it to merchant of mars...


Man, this is weak. If you're going to start a "I hate FFG" thread, you forgot "This game is going to have a FAQ", "Corey's games have too many cards", "FFG's games have too many pieces", and my all-time favorite, "I don't like the font they used on the box".

snore

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now own Dune and Rex. They're eyeing each other warily on the bookshelf, waiting for the other to make the first move. In a while, they'll realize they're brothers from another mother and then everything will be totally chill.
14 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire » Forums » General
Re: Sorry... not interested
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I now own Dune and Rex. They're eyeing each other warily on the bookshelf, waiting for the other to make the first move. In a while, they'll realize they're brothers from another mother and then everything will be totally chill.



Do you think the love child of Rex and Dune will become the Kwisatz Haderach?...Someone get the Jom Gabbar!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be a game kinda like Dune, only it's a party game where you play your treachery cards on your forehead, face out so only your opponents can see them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
It'll be a game kinda like Dune, only it's a party game where you play your treachery cards on your forehead, face out so only your opponents can see them.


So, basically Cosmic Encounter?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
I wonder what the Herbert Estate was unmoving on??


Unmoving on destroying his fathers legacy.


Frank Herbert's son has done more to destroy his fathers legacy than anyone, by far.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gowe
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
Doctor_Zaius wrote:
shake

Dune without dune? I was looking forward to the remake and then they announced that it was set in the TI universe instead of the Dune universe. At least this retains the value of the original game since purists will have 0 interest in this version.

Let's just hope they don't lose the merchant of venus lawsuit and have to change it to merchant of mars...


Thank goodness purists are few and far between...

I don't want to hear anymore debates about who shot first... who cares.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gowe
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
moony29 wrote:
Doctor_Zaius wrote:
shake

Dune without dune? I was looking forward to the remake and then they announced that it was set in the TI universe instead of the Dune universe. At least this retains the value of the original game since purists will have 0 interest in this version.

Let's just hope they don't lose the merchant of venus lawsuit and have to change it to merchant of mars...


Man, this is weak. If you're going to start a "I hate FFG" thread, you forgot "This game is going to have a FAQ", "Corey's games have too many cards", "FFG's games have too many pieces", and my all-time favorite, "I don't like the font they used on the box".

snore



Oh wait... you forgot "They made a typo... the word is in bold, it shouldn't be"...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Harmon
msg tools
Just chiming in that I would buy the shit out of Merchant of Mecatol Rex.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rozen wrote:
Just chiming in that I would buy the shit out of Merchant of Mecatol Rex.


From the back of the box: "Merchants of Mecatol Rex allows players to chose one of four exciting races: Hacan, Hacan, Hacan, and Hacan."
15 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
This isn't Dune, but neither are most games. Is that holding you back from buying any of those as well?


Every time I go to a game store I pick up a game and say, "Is this Dune?" And if the answer is no, I put it back on the shelf and slowly walk out of the store, shaking my head in anger.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
This isn't Dune, but neither are most games. Is that holding you back from buying any of those as well?


Every time I go to a game store I pick up a game and say, "Is this Dune?" And if the answer is no, I put it back on the shelf and slowly walk out of the store, shaking my head in anger.


"Do you have Battletoads?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. But that's just because the components piss me off.

And I have no friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've been following this game for a while, reading/listening to interviews of Peter Olotka (one of the original designers of Dune) for a long time, before Rex was even announced.

The last version of Dune released had art tied in with the movie, even featuring Sting on the box art. Of course the movie sucked and after it came out, sales of the game tanked. It went out of print and since then no publisher has been able to get Dune rights for the board game. Many have tried. If anyone could have done it, it would have been FFG - clearly they're no stranger to acquiring IP rights.


So either the Herbert estate is holding out for a ridiculous amount of cash, or they're just refusing to hand over the board game rights out of bitterness or something.

Yeah.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the op didn't buy which means it's one more copy in the wild for whoever really wants it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
I no longer have any idea where I came by this belief, so it's entirely possible (even probable) that it's utterly and completely wrong, but it's long been my understanding that the Herbert estate just isn't licensing rights to the Dune IP to anyone for anything these days.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord3125 wrote:
I no longer have any idea where I came by this belief, so it's entirely possible (even probable) that it's utterly and completely wrong, but it's long been my understanding that the Herbert estate just isn't licensing rights to the Dune IP to anyone for anything these days.


That was my impression as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
grummzaire wrote:

The last version of Dune released had art tied in with the movie, even featuring Sting on the box art. Of course the movie sucked and after it came out, sales of the game tanked. It went out of print and since then no publisher has been able to get Dune rights for the board game...

So either the Herbert estate is holding out for a ridiculous amount of cash, or they're just refusing to hand over the board game rights out of bitterness or something.


It was a sad day when a picture of Sting with dyed red hair in a plastic stillsuit could not galvanize the board game community. However I still love the extra long version of Dune that played on T.V. with the cheesy voiceovers/narration.

Maybe the estate is waiting for the right project to release the IP: BrigaDune the Broadway musical, Duneopoly, or maybe Arrakis Idol...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Maybe the estate is waiting for the right project to release the IP: BrigaDune the Broadway musical, Duneopoly, or maybe Arrakis Idol...


I hear "Settlers of Dune" is in the works.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
kaziam wrote:
Maybe the estate is waiting for the right project to release the IP: BrigaDune the Broadway musical, Duneopoly, or maybe Arrakis Idol...


I hear "Settlers of Dune" is in the works.


90% desert hexes, all producing spice! The robber is replaced by the sandworm. Each player represents a different faction in the books...oh, huh, we already have this game...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor_Zaius wrote:
shake

Dune without dune? I was looking forward to the remake and then they announced that it was set in the TI universe instead of the Dune universe. At least this retains the value of the original game since purists will have 0 interest in this version.

Let's just hope they don't lose the merchant of venus lawsuit and have to change it to merchant of mars...





One of these days I'll be able to delete my mocking Dune Kitty geekbadge and avatar that I set years ago, the week that FFG announced the reprint/retheme of Dune.

Today is obviously not that day.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Viimsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how am I supposed to play House Atreides in Rex? This is bullcrap! I wonder what hitler thinks about it in the youtubes.

Maybe the license was difficult to get because the upcoming movie in 2014?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Hromek
Czech Republic
Havirov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible.
Its not remake or reprint of Dune. Who wants remake of Dune, make Ilya Baranovsky design of Dune or Scott´s design of Dune. These are true remakes. Not this. Besides Baranovsky design of Dune looks much better than this.

This is jumble of Dune basic mechanism with TI universe, trying put some special advantages of Dune´s faction to factions from TI universe, Exchange storm for bombardment, spice for influence etc.
Put whole planet to one city - absolutelly nonsense. Game plane is terrible also, looks like Arkham horror gameboard .

Dune was game with basic mechanism for project from Ancient Rome period. But they put this mechanism to Dune and put another more special facts with brillant mechanisms to fit to Dune universe - worms, storms, factions, advantages of factions, spice blows, treachery cards (for example Family Atomic), game plane inspired by map of Frank Herbert with locations we know from planet arrakis and more other things fit to Dune, but only to Dune.

Trying put these things to another universe - Its like shame of Shannara books trying to be Tolkien´s Lord of the Rings.

Who dont know Dune universe would like this game, maybe. But I dont know why. There looks broken most of things trying to be similar and alongside different as phenomenal Dune.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.