$10.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dash question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use Dash and switch sides twice and end up on the same side prior to my Dash, can my opponent still hit me this turn?

Also, what if I move and not switch sides, then my opponent's Before Activating ability moves him past me (thus causing a switch of sides), will he still be able to hit me?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
If I use Dash and switch sides twice and end up on the same side prior to my Dash, can my opponent still hit me this turn?

Also, what if I move and not switch sides, then my opponent's Before Activating ability moves him past me (thus causing a switch of sides), will he still be able to hit me?


I think to answer both of your questions, you have to resolve each phase sequentially. If you are the active player, and you use Dash, you would resolve your After Activating effect BEFORE your opponents Before Activating ability. Your ACTUAL "dash" would have to be the move that switches sides for you to have the opponent not hit you.

So, you would resolve whether or not your opponents attack will hit you or not by that stage, irregardless of movements that change the status quo before or later.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But this was how I interpreted the rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I guess the 2nd question is a bit out there, and probably won't work, since the wording of the Dash is "After Activating: Move 1, 2, or 3 spaces. If you switch sides with an opponent during this move, that opponent's attacks do not hit you."

That leaves my first question then. Can I, as the Dashing player, hop one step over my opponent, and then hop 1 step back over my opponent to my initial spot, and end my move there? Will he still be able to hit me in this case, i.e. did what I do qualify as 'switching sides'?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rereading my reply, I think I'm might have worded it wrong. The after activating effect (move 1,2,or 3 spaces), is the move itself that determines whether or not your opponent's attacks hit you.

Any reveal/before activating effects that get you into at least the range of 3, will allow you (if you choose) to switch sides.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read it: [edit] I was mistaken
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
That leaves my first question then. Can I, as the Dashing player, hop one step over my opponent, and then hop 1 step back over my opponent to my initial spot, and end my move there? Will he still be able to hit me in this case, i.e. did what I do qualify as 'switching sides'?


Note that you can't use Dash itself to hop back and forth in this way. Once your direction is set for a move action, it doesn't change, you keep moving (1,2, or 3) in the same direction, even beyond your opponent.

To hop back and forth, you would need to have another movement ability separate from the Dash (from your Style card, most probably). In this case, you will be protected, because the Dash ability itself caused you to switch sides, regardless of what happened before/after.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaron wrote:
crushedguava wrote:
That leaves my first question then. Can I, as the Dashing player, hop one step over my opponent, and then hop 1 step back over my opponent to my initial spot, and end my move there? Will he still be able to hit me in this case, i.e. did what I do qualify as 'switching sides'?


Note that you can't use Dash itself to hop back and forth in this way. Once your direction is set for a move action, it doesn't change, you keep moving (1,2, or 3) in the same direction, even beyond your opponent.

To hop back and forth, you would need to have another movement ability separate from the Dash (from your Style card, most probably). In this case, you will be protected, because the Dash ability itself caused you to switch sides, regardless of what happened before/after.

Hmm, is that so? I guess the rulebook was never clear about this (and also about the 'Advance more than 1 space' business when you're directly beside an opponent.

If your answer is correct, that I have a satisfactory answer to my question, thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines » Forums » Rules
Re: Dash question
crushedguava wrote:
If you're answer is correct, that I have a satisfactory answer to my question, thanks!


Upon further reading, he is correct.

Quote:
Move – You may choose either direction for this movement. (i .e. "Move the opponent 1 space")


Either is not the same as both - it is ONE direction.

Note that you can change directions with each separate source of movement, but each time you move, it is in a single direction.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:

Quote:
Move – You may choose either direction for this movement. (i .e. "Move the opponent 1 space")


Either is not the same as both - it is ONE direction.

Note that you can change directions with each separate source of movement, but each time you move, it is in a single direction.


This is indeed correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.