Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » General

Subject: AToE gameplay seems dull. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I added AToE to my growing list of games not too long ago. I was excited because I had played it once or twice before. I figured the dull atmosphere in some of my previous games (before I owned a copy of the game) was due to certain villains just being "dull."

However, we played the other day with my favorite villain (i.e. The Spectral Horseman). And to be honest, we were all bored out of our minds.

The games does not seem to have any point other than running around picking up investigation tokens. The "Elder's Secrets" don't add anything to the game. They really don't change the outcome of the game at all IMO. Most of the time people were foregoing spending investigation to look at them. The overall consensus was: What's the point?

I actually collected tons of investigation so I could hurry up and end the game by taking steps to initiate the showdown. The game seems like it could be fun; but it is suffering from lack of content. The theme is there, but nothing appears to be happening until the "showdown" begins.

I may have to give this game a lower rating.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
The "Elder's Secrets" don't add anything to the game. They really don't change the outcome of the game at all IMO. Most of the time people were foregoing spending investigation to look at them. The overall consensus was: What's the point?


Are you playing the competitive game? Particularly in the competitive game these are crucial. Without looking at them you could end up fighting extra evil elders instead of finding friends, and your opponents will bomb you with evil elders.

I tend to find the game pretty interesting and down-to-the-wire. In co-op play it does NOT scale well. I find that it's interesting with 1-2 players (in co-op), sometimes too easy with 3, and I wouldn't even try it with four or more. The competitive game actually becomes more difficult with more people (more negative events aimed at you).

The game is more difficult with the expansion, particularly in co-op mode. In general, the game is a combination of careful shopping plus visiting specific locations in a reasonable order to stock up on goods before the clock runs out.

Lee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I definitely disagree with you about the elders. It's the one thing that sets this game apart from others of it's ilk.

I somewhat agree with you about the dullness. I played a solo game just last night with the werewolf and 2 heroes. I think the biggest problem is that each game has 2 or maybe 3 minions and the repetition of the minions makes it a bit dull. Arkham has way more variety on the board at any one time.

I have yet to play a game of this competitively but I think it really is the way it's meant to be played. In co-op the final battle can take forever.

Also I have only played once with the expansion shadow track but that really killed the game for me. I found my elders killed off or revealed secrets had them join the villian before I had a chance to even check secrets and the extra rolling and checking slowed the game considerably. Also a surprise showdown with the end boss can be devastating and you might be surprised how often double 1's can show up.

I much prefer the first shadow track. It may make the game a little easier but there are enough new bosses that are plenty tough without the extra difficulty of the advanced shadow track. And like I said I just played the werewolf and even with the easier shadow track he is no walk in the park.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing competitively makes the end game drag on. The first player to try a showdown gets screwed by everyone else, and then successive players have more and more luck. It's a bit like what happens to the first few people to get to level 9 in Munchkin.

When we've played the game, I've enjoyed the theme and the mechanics, but there's no tension. The Shadow Track is supposed to provide that tension, but we found it way too easy to manipulate. The game basically devolves down to, "buff up as much as you want until you're ready for the showdown."

I agree, there's a great game in there somewhere, but the current set of rules just doesn't do it for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
hudarklord wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:
The "Elder's Secrets" don't add anything to the game. They really don't change the outcome of the game at all IMO. Most of the time people were foregoing spending investigation to look at them. The overall consensus was: What's the point?


Are you playing the competitive game? Particularly in the competitive game these are crucial. Without looking at them you could end up fighting extra evil elders instead of finding friends, and your opponents will bomb you with evil elders.

I tend to find the game pretty interesting and down-to-the-wire. In co-op play it does NOT scale well. I find that it's interesting with 1-2 players (in co-op), sometimes too easy with 3, and I wouldn't even try it with four or more. The competitive game actually becomes more difficult with more people (more negative events aimed at you).

The game is more difficult with the expansion, particularly in co-op mode. In general, the game is a combination of careful shopping plus visiting specific locations in a reasonable order to stock up on goods before the clock runs out.

Lee


We were playing cooperatively the last time. However, I have played the competitive game as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
jshaffstall wrote:
Playing competitively makes the end game drag on. The first player to try a showdown gets screwed by everyone else, and then successive players have more and more luck. It's a bit like what happens to the first few people to get to level 9 in Munchkin.

When we've played the game, I've enjoyed the theme and the mechanics, but there's no tension. The Shadow Track is supposed to provide that tension, but we found it way too easy to manipulate. The game basically devolves down to, "buff up as much as you want until you're ready for the showdown."

I agree, there's a great game in there somewhere, but the current set of rules just doesn't do it for me.


^^^This.

I agree. The entire game just felt like "get as much stuff as you can to fight the villain." The locations didn't seem to stand out (its all about stacking investigation tokens!), the minions just seemed like goons that sat around waiting to be killed.

There was no tension. In fact, one of the people I was playing with yawned and said "wow, this is a long game." Even though its actually not that long; the game is just dull (without tension or any action in-between the beginning and the end) so it seems extremely drawn out for nothing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
The entire game just felt like "get as much stuff as you can to fight the villain." The locations didn't seem to stand out (its all about stacking investigation tokens!), the minions just seemed like goons that sat around waiting to be killed.

There was no tension. In fact, one of the people I was playing with yawned and said "wow, this is a long game." Even though its actually not that long; the game is just dull (without tension or any action in-between the beginning and the end) so it seems extremely drawn out for nothing.


Well, I disagree with all of that -- I love this game. It's definitely in my top 5, and is pushing it's way toward #1. As soon as one game finishes, I'm ready to start another. Most games are tense, and I really don't see how you can think both tension and action do not escalate during the game.

But, to each his own. Judging by your ratings, it seems you like FFP's other games, so I guess this one is just not your cup of tea.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Rubric wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:
The entire game just felt like "get as much stuff as you can to fight the villain." The locations didn't seem to stand out (its all about stacking investigation tokens!), the minions just seemed like goons that sat around waiting to be killed.

There was no tension. In fact, one of the people I was playing with yawned and said "wow, this is a long game." Even though its actually not that long; the game is just dull (without tension or any action in-between the beginning and the end) so it seems extremely drawn out for nothing.


Well, I disagree with all of that -- I love this game. It's definitely in my top 5, and is pushing it's way toward #1. As soon as one game finishes, I'm ready to start another. Most games are tense, and I really don't see how you can think both tension and action do not escalate during the game.

But, to each his own. Judging by your ratings, it seems you like FFP's other games, so I guess this one is just not your cup of tea.


Last Night on Earth is amazing. Conquest of Planet Earth has potential, but could use some work. This game has potential too. Hopefully the expansion will improve AToE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Callahan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this (if I do say so myself)...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65094/hunting-the-nigh...


Coop, it allows for some more strategy and adaring...Competative, it allows for bargains to be made...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
mscjec wrote:
Try this (if I do say so myself)...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65094/hunting-the-nigh...


Coop, it allows for some more strategy and adaring...Competative, it allows for bargains to be made...


Looks nice, but that's way too much work to be putting into a game I paid $50 for. For that price, the game should be worthwhile without having to house rule things.

Its a beautiful game and I see the potential. However, as it stands; the game just seems bland. And if we need home made add-ons to make it a fun playing experience; AToE has failed in its objective to keep people entertained.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game » Forums » General
Re: AToE gameplay seems dull.
The gameplay's certainly not complicated. Speaking for myself, a lot of what's going on is the horror-fantasy adventure in my head. I see the game as a prop for that, and I enjoy it that way. I do understand that other people want something else in a game, though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

I play games because life seems dull. As far as ATOE goes, its a card driven game. Event card, Mystery card, and location cards. I find that the cards make the game exciting or dull. I have played the game enough to say its a 50/50 deal with the cards playing out to be a exciting showdown with the villian. I did however add Something Wicked expansion and the game has gotten better. The excitement level has really picked up. Its all in the cards. Every game is different and thats the way I like it. The Coast expansion is coming out soon. I believe this expansion will put the game over the top. More cards and locations should do it for me. Great gaming to all. By the way, did I say how much I love Flying Frog Productions. Guys, keep making great games.

Freebird out
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Freebird1956 wrote:
devil

I play games because life seems dull. As far as ATOE goes, its a card driven game. Event card, Mystery card, and location cards. I find that the cards make the game exciting or dull. I have played the game enough to say its a 50/50 deal with the cards playing out to be a exciting showdown with the villian. I did however add Something Wicked expansion and the game has gotten better. The excitement level has really picked up. Its all in the cards. Every game is different and thats the way I like it. The Coast expansion is coming out soon. I believe this expansion will put the game over the top. More cards and locations should do it for me. Great gaming to all. By the way, did I say how much I love Flying Frog Productions. Guys, keep making great games.

Freebird out


I like FFP games as well. I'll be taking a close look at AToE's The Coast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
And to be honest, we were all bored out of our minds.


I was rather disappointed with it too. As I look at your game rankings, it may be for the same reason.

I bought this game because it looked like a more accessible and shorter Arkham Horror, but it turned out to be a lot like Talisman. I never felt much of a story arc or momentum to the game. It starts, plays, and ends all on the same note.

I like Flying Frog Productions a lot, but this game was a miss for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
cookinjr wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:
And to be honest, we were all bored out of our minds.


I was rather disappointed with it too. As I look at your game rankings, it may be for the same reason.

I bought this game because it looked like a more accessible and shorter Arkham Horror, but it turned out to be a lot like Talisman. I never felt much of a story arc or momentum to the game. It starts, plays, and ends all on the same note.

I like Flying Frog Productions a lot, but this game was a miss for me.


I hate Talisman with a passion. That game is so boring that its ridiculous.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee McIntyre
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was extremely disappointed in the dullness of the game. I've only played once and it sounded like it would be fun from the rules, but it wasn't. We really did leisurely walk around the board, pick up items, bought a few town items and then I killed the villain. there was absolutely no conflict or tension in the game. Only one minion ever made it to the board. The mystery phase seemed more helpful than daunting because investigation tokens kept getting placed on the board and elders kept dying so we didn't even look at secrets much because there was a good chance they would die. I must have picked up 20 event cards and never used a single one exceptthe play immediately cards. Even fighting the villain was boring cause I had so much stuff, he wasn't scary at all. I only rolled dice to beat him, I didn't acrually need event cards the whole game.

I thought we must be doing something wrong for it to be so boring, but I checked the rules and its just boring. Im thinking of rolling from the villains minion chart every mystery phase if the card doesnt require it to see if the game would actually be challenging. Otherwise the game will go in the closet to never see the light of day again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Reneemc wrote:
I too was extremely disappointed in the dullness of the game. I've only played once and it sounded like it would be fun from the rules, but it wasn't. We really did leisurely walk around the board, pick up items, bought a few town items and then I killed the villain. there was absolutely no conflict or tension in the game. Only one minion ever made it to the board. The mystery phase seemed more helpful than daunting because investigation tokens kept getting placed on the board and elders kept dying so we didn't even look at secrets much because there was a good chance they would die. I must have picked up 20 event cards and never used a single one exceptthe play immediately cards. Even fighting the villain was boring cause I had so much stuff, he wasn't scary at all. I only rolled dice to beat him, I didn't acrually need event cards the whole game.

I thought we must be doing something wrong for it to be so boring, but I checked the rules and its just boring. Im thinking of rolling from the villains minion chart every mystery phase if the card doesnt require it to see if the game would actually be challenging. Otherwise the game will go in the closet to never see the light of day again.


I agree wholeheartedly. Its all about running around collecting investigation tokens and subsequently buying crap with them. Like some kind of Gothic Shopping Mall. Its incredibly boring; which is a waste because the game itself is beautifully designed. And they have the nerve to compare it to Arkham Horror. LOL.

See my thread: "Investigation Tokens of Evil."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.