$10.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: what theme for a new game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been asked to design a card game, and I actually have, but I cannot come up with a definitive theme.

I don't want to skew your opinions by giving away information about what the game is, but I am beat about these themes:
-generic fantasy: the usual classes and races, fighting an evil villain;
-sci-fi: hackers trying to infiltrate an corporation main frame, to steal its evil plans of mass destruction
-far-west: you're outkasts and thieves, that want to steal and rob gold
-pirates... pretty much the same as the far-west theme

I am open to other themes.

please, state which theme you like best, in a card game:
Poll
What theme would like to see in a card game?
generic fantasy
sci-fi/hacker
far west
pirates
other (please elaborate)
      36 answers
Poll created by Ikim
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you should create is a game about zombies racing diggers over the breasts of a giant woman.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Ask your publisher what will be more popular. Chances it's not pirates.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Ask your publisher what will be more popular. Chances it's not pirates.


He told me to stay away from sci-fi, as it sells a lot less, than other themes, but I like it so much, I included it in the poll anyway.

He likes fantasy, western and pirate just the same...

I already wrote the game in all these themes, so it's just a matter of choosing, only thing is that the publisher told me to publish the game in PnP format, to see how it goes, and if it goes well, he'll pick it up.
Therefor, I cannot make mistakes, and have the game get less views, only because of theme issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
I should say: Steampunk, that would be a great theme.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is 'far west'?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
What is 'far west'?


cowboys, spaghetti western, indians, horses, sherifs, saloons, and all this stuff
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy/SciFi/Western/Pirates whatever.

Do a game that's about being an old hag who tries to do something really crazy but can't because she's getting heart attacks and back aches all the time.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek, but still… the ones you're choosing between is "either". Doesn't matter. They're all run-of-the-mill themes. If you really care about the theme, then do something special.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is 'far west'?


cowboys, spaghetti western, indians, horses, sherifs, saloons, and all this stuff

Ahh I see, I thought thats what you meant, but have never seen it (well outside of the Far west theater of the ACW) referd to in that way.
By the way there's a theme, the far west threater. Not only historical, but also with refeances to the Good the Bad and the Ugly. ACW gun fights.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is 'far west'?


cowboys, spaghetti western, indians, horses, sherifs, saloons, and all this stuff


So the American West. We call it the Old West.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you announce your PnP here so we will know when it's available.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
Ikim wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What is 'far west'?


cowboys, spaghetti western, indians, horses, sherifs, saloons, and all this stuff


So the American West. We call it the Old West.


Or the wild west.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still all for something set on post-apocalypse Earth.

Failing that, I want someone to make a game about getting Audited. Nobody says getting Audited is fun...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something biblical.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Fantasy/SciFi/Western/Pirates whatever.

Do a game that's about being an old hag who tries to do something really crazy but can't because she's getting heart attacks and back aches all the time.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek, but still… the ones you're choosing between is "either". Doesn't matter. They're all run-of-the-mill themes. If you really care about the theme, then do something special.


True, they are pretty avarage, but are the ones that appeal the most and more people.
I am at a stage my design alone won't appeal much.
I mean: I'm no Friedman Friese, that can make a game about Friday heliping a stupid Rob Crusoe, and still "get away with it".

Excuse the analogy with books, but to be able to appeal the most people, I need to have a good cover: when these people have actually opened the book, they can appreciate the design; but I have to get them to open the book first.

As I said: the pubblisher will evaluate how the PnP goes, and then, if it goes well, he'll think about picking it up, maybe changing the theme, if he wishes... ; but to do so, the game has to appeal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
The wild old far west
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mace92 wrote:
The wild old far west


The Wicky Wicky wild wild west?
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a mashup?

Like: Dwarfmarines battling Pirates in the Far West?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The sci-fi hacker setting sounds an awful ot like Infiltration
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
I'm still all for something set on post-apocalypse Earth.

Failing that, I want someone to make a game about getting Audited. Nobody says getting Audited is fun...


As in the game Fallout. That would be great too!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just go through all my themes again and see if one integrates particularly well with the mechanics. If you can find one then pick that.

Beyond that I'd look for options to introduce some tongue-in-cheek humor and pick a theme that lends itself to that.

Barring that, draw one from a hat...

I can see all kinds of arguments against all those themes. Going with what is (currently) popular and going with something unexpected both has it's advantages and disadvantages. For all you know in two years someone could make a trilogy of block buster movies with that theme and suddenly your game is hot shit. Or they'll think it's a cheap rip off and shun it...

Focus on making the theme as good as you can. The publisher will probably ask for a lot of changes anyway when he picks it up...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, I don't think FF just "got away" with Friday, I think it's got the best deckbuilding mechanic in any game ever made (though I still, irritatingly, have not played Mage Knight so can't fully qualify that statement), where it feels like your character is getting more powerful and not your deck.

Having said that, why not go for a science non-fiction theme? I think Hackers trying to infiltrate a corporation in a real world setting can be very interestingly done. Or heck, why not go for the old bank robbery setting (in a modern bank with modern security systems that need to be hacked)? Or an Oceans 11 (clone) theme?

I think a game like Flash Point: Fire Rescue has shown that jobs around today do work as a theme
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
Tegre wrote:
I'm still all for something set on post-apocalypse Earth.

Failing that, I want someone to make a game about getting Audited. Nobody says getting Audited is fun...


As in the game Fallout. That would be great too!


Yes! That can have a lot of the advantages of sci fi, fantasy, wild west, zombies, and higwaymen (pirates on land). Great way to do a mash up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek » Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming
Re: what theme for a new game?
Ikim wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Fantasy/SciFi/Western/Pirates whatever.

Do a game that's about being an old hag who tries to do something really crazy but can't because she's getting heart attacks and back aches all the time.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek, but still… the ones you're choosing between is "either". Doesn't matter. They're all run-of-the-mill themes. If you really care about the theme, then do something special.


True, they are pretty avarage, but are the ones that appeal the most and more people.

You are absolutely right there. As I said, it's tongue-in-cheek. If you want your design published, then go for any of the above. Or actually, better still, don't care at all. Let the publisher decide. He probably knows his market best (with emphasis on "probably").

Asking me won't do any good, as I'm tired of standard themes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Ikim wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Fantasy/SciFi/Western/Pirates whatever.

Do a game that's about being an old hag who tries to do something really crazy but can't because she's getting heart attacks and back aches all the time.

Of course, this is tongue-in-cheek, but still… the ones you're choosing between is "either". Doesn't matter. They're all run-of-the-mill themes. If you really care about the theme, then do something special.


True, they are pretty avarage, but are the ones that appeal the most and more people.

You are absolutely right there. As I said, it's tongue-in-cheek. If you want your design published, then go for any of the above. Or actually, better still, don't care at all. Let the publisher decide. He probably knows his market best (with emphasis on "probably").

Asking me won't do any good, as I'm tired of standard themes


what he said.
even within these themes I'm not seeing a lot of creativity.
why not the Sorcerer's apprectice trying to get control of the mayhem he created by doing the classic spell to help him do his chores?
why not a bird building a nest?
why not trying to graduate from college (beer, babes, bad grades)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.