Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Travel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
I have just started playing this game and never played a Living Card Game before.I am playing single player to get used to the rules.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Necromancer's Pass. "Travel, The first player must discard 2 cards from his hand at random to travel here."

1) I only have one card left in my hand, am i allowed to discard that one card only to travel or must l wait till i have a total of two cards in my hand.

2) If l did have say, six cards in my hand, can i discard two that i don't want out of the six or must i actually choose two without looking.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan, I'm a relative newbie too, and really loving the game.

To your questions:

1. You can't travel to Necromancer's Pass if you only have one card, so you'd have to wait until you have two, according to BBG user kirkbauer's excellent and popular card reference.

2. Sadly, "at random" means just that, so you don't get to choose. It can be painful, I know... shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alboy01 wrote:
I have just started playing this game and never played a Living Card Game before.I am playing single player to get used to the rules.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Necromancer's Pass. "Travel, The first player must discard 2 cards from his hand at random to travel here."

1) I only have one card left in my hand, am i allowed to discard that one card only to travel or must l wait till i have a total of two cards in my hand.

You cannot travel there unless you have two cards to discard.

alboy01 wrote:
2) If l did have say, six cards in my hand, can i discard two that i don't want out of the six or must i actually choose two without looking.

"At random" means you don't get to choose.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game » Forums » Rules
Re: Travel
Thank you both for your quick replys. I have just checked out that card reference resource, i must say it will be of great help to me while i am learning the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wolve
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question with regards to Traveling in general.

Round one, I travel to Necromancer's pass and pay 2 random cards.

Round two, since my quest phase did not clear Necromancer's Pass, do I still pay 2 random cards as part of the travel cost?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwolve wrote:
Just a question with regards to Traveling in general.

Round one, I travel to Necromancer's pass and pay 2 random cards.

Round two, since my quest phase did not clear Necromancer's Pass, do I still pay 2 random cards as part of the travel cost?

No. Traveling happens when you move the location from the staging area to the active location area. You don't have to travel twice, unless some card effect moves that location back to the staging area.


The specific sections of the rules that cover this are (emphasis mine):

Page 15 wrote:
During the travel phase, the players may travel as a
group to any one location in the staging area by moving
it from the staging area and placing it alongside the
current quest card, causing it to become the active
location.

Page 23 wrote:
Some location cards have travel effects, which are
denoted by a bold “Travel:” trigger on a card. Travel
effects are costs or restrictions that some or all players
must pay or meet in order to travel to that location. If
the players cannot fulfill the requirement of a location’s
travel effect, the players cannot travel to that location.


1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wolve
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast response James.

That clears up the suspicions I had on traveling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.