Andrew MorganUnited Kingdom
I've been bit by the Arkham Horror bug recently, or maybe it was a shaggoth? It all started with the purchase of a second hand copy of the game on ebay. I'm a terrible completest, I always have to collect ‘the whole set’. I joked with the staff in my LFGS that it’d be dangerous for me to get hold of Arkham Horror as I’d immediately get Dunwich Horror at least but the price of the base game always put me off delving into expansion and Arkham chrome. Well I got hold of a cheap copy and now, Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion, Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion, Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion, Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion and Arkham Horror: The Black Goat of the Woods Expansion later (all combined) I thought I had the complete set.
I even made some custom dice
Then I bought my first miniature…
and my second…
then I thought I should get the Dunwich Horror as it’s the only monster figure that is practical enough to actually use…
and then I thought I was only going to get the whole set eventually and my local store gave me a decent discount as I’m in there all the goddamn time I now have a complete set of investigator figures (minus the 8 from Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion, an expansion I’ve stopped myself from owning as I really like the balance the game has at the moment, same goes for the other two small expansions).
Now I used to paint a lot when I was younger and I still have a lot of my old Games Workshop paints. I delved back into it a couple of months ago when I was bored and my Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game figures were looking a little bare. I’m rusty but the turned out ok :
The Arkham figures are nice but only painted very basically. I don’t have the time and/or patience to sit down and repaint the 40 figures I have but I just wanted to show you all what they look like washed. I used Citadel’s Badab Black wash. I wouldn’t usually recommend going straight for a black wash when finishing your painting but I wanted quick, simple and ultimately effective results; besides the dark finish suits the game.
All I did was gave each figure a quick wash using a 1cm flat brush, if you do this watch out for clumping around the eyes whilst it dries as it always looks a lot more dramatic than you’d expect in comparison to the “nothing is happening” effect you get as you first paint on the wash. It took an hour. I also painted the Dunwich Horror figure. Below are the results. Obviously a lot depends on how the figures are painted and some of mine look a little like Kinder Egg toys but I all in all they look a lot more professional and finished and I’m a lot happier.