$10.00

Pimp my Game

An infrequent blog, which usually contains lots of photo's, just to fill in the lack of information, and make it look nice and pretty. Which details how I pimped out some of my games and components.
Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide

Powerboats - Boy oh Buoy

Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, I absolutely hate the buoy tokens that come with Powerboats. Made from layered cardboard, they are very unevenly balanced, and are prone to toppling over, and rolling around at the slightest table bump. Also, more often than not, they need to have the fins glued on, to stop them falling apart.

I'd been thinking of a better buoy method for some time, and thought red wooden discs with some kind of numbered sticker slapped on would be a better option, with maybe a row of arrows around the side to illustrate boat direction. Unfortunately I could never find any ideal arrow stickers in the hobby shops, and the numbers always seemed to be glittery arty-farty things.

After scrounging through my box of old bits, I decided my trusty bunch of old plastic Backgammon pieces were more or less the perfect size for the job.



I'd also acquired loads of different coloured L.E.D lenses, which I found handily laying around in a box at work.



They snapped perfectly over the top and bottom of the counters, so I figured clear ones would be ideal for sandwiching the images in between.

I printed off some images onto plain paper, which I'd knocked together in photoshop, and cut them out using scissors.


Sandwiching the images between the discs and the L.E.D covers they looked pretty good, if a little choppy around the edges, and the slight frosting wasn't perfect.





Still I thought they functioned a lot better than the original buoys.



A good few months later, I pimped some tokens for Letters from Whitechapel.
So armed with some newly acquired sticker paper, and a 15mm paper punch, I decided to have another bash at creating a leaner version.

There was no need for the frosty lens caps anymore, those will still come in handy for other pimps, so have been thrown back in my bins.

I re-designed the images from scratch:



Printed them off on glossy sticker paper, and popped them out using my lovely little 15mm paper punch.

Version 2.0 of my buoys can be downloaded here
, and look like this:



They're a darker red than the photo shows, and look a lot better for it. I'm more than pleased with the result, and the glued up cardboard buoys, and odd bits of unglued fins can remain bagged up for the rest of their miserable existence.
Twitter Facebook
0 Comments
Subscribe sub options Sat Jun 9, 2012 4:31 pm
Post Rolls
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}

Subscribe

Categories

Contributors

Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.