$10.00

Pimp my Game

An infrequent blog, which usually contains lots of photo's, just to fill in the lack of information, and make it look nice and pretty. Which details how I pimped out some of my games and components.
Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide

Try the New Foam-Core Monolith Sandwich

Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pity the newer Fantasy Flight edition of Nexus Ops didn't come with a raised Monolith section...

Yesterday I threw a load of foam core in the dustbin, after just finishing my new Zombie Plague board. I was certain I'd never need those bits of offcuts again. I've just had an idea! "Sh@t!!!!" time to race downstairs and hope my wife hasn't scraped any food leftovers in the bin, along with the offcuts. Luckily the foam core bits weren't covered in baked bean juice, or gravy and mash. So I began to assemble the piece.

The process was easy. After plopping one of the games hexes on top of the piece if foam core, I drew around it with a Biro, then using my trusty metal ruler and cheap-tack Poundland craft knife, scored deeply straight through the shape. Repeat again and presto I've got two hexes; comprising a base and top section.

Next I took a small rectangle lump of foam core, and applied a piece of double sided sticky tape to the top and bottom and sandwiched it all together.



Hmm not bad. Maybe it could've done with being just a touch higher. So I had another bash...

For my second attempt, I sandwiched two chunks of foam core in between the hexes. This gave a better overall effect height wise, but the edging on the central column looked a little rough around the edges.

Looking around for something more suitable for a centre column section, I first thought about using a little plastic storage box. The lid being openable, allowing me to store some extra Nexus Ops bits inside, like my extra Human pieces, chits, etc. The trouble with the box idea was the locking clasp. It would be a nightmare to squeeze my sausage fingers between the hexes.

Then my gaze fell on what's left of my olde set of black Backgammon pieces I have in one of my many stackable jars of game bits.



Two of these were stuck together, then sandwiched on the centre point in-between the hexes, all using double-sided tape. The result seems to be strong, and pretty much spot on for my Nexus-needs.



Just place the Monolith tile on top, build around it, and away you go!
Twitter Facebook
0 Comments
Subscribe sub options Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:50 pm
Post Rolls
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loading... | Locked Hide Show Unlock Lock Comment     View Previous {{limitCount(numprevitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}
{{error.message}}
{{comment.error.message}}
    View More Comments {{limitCount(numnextitems_calculated,commentParams.showcount)}} / {{numnextitems_calculated}} 1 « Pg. {{commentParams.pageid}} » {{data.config.endpage}}

Subscribe

Categories

Contributors

Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.