David NeumannUnited States
WisconsinIn life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
Brand New Small World App In the Works
Days of Wonder has announced a new Kickstarter project that begins today which involves a from-the-ground-up rewrite of the original Small World 2, creatively titled Small World 2.
Finally, you'll be able to play Small world on the 3-5 player maps and with asynchronous online multiplayer. If the Kickstarter reaches its goal of $190,000USD, all existing Small World for iPad owners would get these updates for FREE. Also, if the funding goal is surpassed, stretch goals would be added to generate funding for other platforms (PC and Android Tablets have been mentioned).
Days of Wonder is incorporating a bunch of goodies for the physical game to go along with certain pledge levels, as well. They are calling it a hybrid Kickstarter, meaning you can pledge because you love the app or because you want the sweet physical game swag, or both. Check out the Kickstarter for all the pledge levels and rewards.
Small World 2 development is already well underway, with an expected release date of July 2013.
Additional information from Brad from a chat with Eric and Mark of Days of Wonder:
In connection with the news Dave has just shared with you above, I was able to speak with Eric and Mark of Days of Wonder this evening. Much of what we discussed can be found on the Kickstarter page but I just wanted so hare some of the highlights:
1. They are calling this a hybrid Kickstarter as it mixes a goal for a video game (Small World 2) with goals that involve components for the physical game. These include wooden tokens as well as a full blown deluxe edition of the board game. If you are a fan of one or the other or both, there is a possibility one of the reward levels will interest you.
2. For iPad fans, one of the reward levels includes 3 new digital only races and powers for Small World. These will be unique to Kickstarter backers. They were not saying much, but they did mention some of the races would really only work in a digital format.
3. New features planned for Small World 2 include support for up to 5 players as well as online multiplayer. They ensured me that they have been working hard to create an online system that can work both synchronously and asynchronously. This is a feature that has been desired for a long time and it will be great to see it arrive. They have noted that with expansions, as long as the game creator has the expansions, any players who joins that game will have access to them in that game.
4. Stretch goals are certainly planned by will not be released until they see the initial results of the Kickstarter. I have been told that the first stretch goal will be a "Mystery Platform" which will be announced when the stretch goal target is announced. Could it be Android, PC, console? My money is on PC/Mac but that is just my guess.
5. Another stretch goal mentioned is additional expansions for the game. They would not confirm exactly which expansion(s) but Small World Underground seemed to be a likely candidate.
6. Small World 2 will launch with Be Not Afraid as a possible in app purchase.
7. Days of Wonder has great fans all over the world, but the cost of some rewards will make them only be available for shipping in the US. Also the deluxe Small World will be in English only. The rewards are marked on the Kickstarter page as to where they can be shipped.