(from MMP website:)
ASL Starter Kit #3 is a self-contained ASL module which will give players the opportunity to start playing Advanced Squad Leader almost immediately. A liberally-illustrated rulebook teaches gamers ASL using a conversational style to teach the concepts of ASL. If you own and play ASL Starter Kit #2 you will be pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is to spot the new rules in ASLSK#3 - we've highlighted the new rules so that you can skip rereading what you've learned in ASLSK#2 and get right to the new rules!
What does ASLSK#3 add? TANKS! The famous and deadly German "Tiger". The reliable "Sherman". The tank which won the east - the T-34.
We know we'll get the inevitable question "Do I have to buy ASLSK#1 and/or ASLSK#2 to get ASLSK#3?" The Starter Kits are self contained. Each has everything you need to play what's in the box, with the higher numbers adding to the ASL knowledge you'll have from playing previous Starter Kits. We do not anticipate changing what you've learned from prior Starter Kits (for example, ASLSK#3 adds about 6 pages of rules to the base built by ASLSK#1 and ASLSK#2). A better question would be "Do I need ASLSK#2 if I buy ASLSK#3?". The short answer is a resounding no! You can dive right in with ASLSK#3. But if you do, and you like the game, ASLSK#1 and ASLSK#2 both add more boards and scenarios for you to enjoy. We know it's a little confusing, we hope this clears it up a bit.
- 3 8x22 Geomorphic Maps (t, u, and v) for the ASL System
- 1 full Countersheet of 1/2" counters
- 1 full Countersheet of 1/2" and 5/8" counters
- 1 half Countersheet of 5/8" counters
- 8 scenarios printed on 4 individual cardstock sheets
- 2 quick reference charts printed on cardstock sheet
- 1 28-page rules booklet (about 17 pages are rules) with plentiful color illustrations
- 1 12-page vehicle and ordnance notes booklet
- 2 dice
- S20 Joseph 351 Pointe de Corsen, France, 28 August 1944
- S21 Clash at Borisovka Borisovka, Russia, 14 March 1943
- S22 Another Summer's Day Niscemi, Sicily, 10 July 1943
- S23 Monty's Gamble Oosterbeek, Holland, 20 September 1944
- S24 Sherman Marches West Krupki, Byelorussia, 28 June 1944
- S25 Early Battles Kaunas, Lithuania, 26 June 1941
- S26 Last Ally, Last Victory Puspokladany, Hungary, 10 October 1944
- S27 Stand For New Zealand Galatas, Crete 25 May 1941
Time Scale: 2 minutes per Game Turn
Unit Scale: 5 to 10 men, plus individual leaders, vehicles, guns
Map Scale 40 meters per hex
Players: 2 (also suitable for solitaire or team play)
Solitaire Suitability: Medium
The final in the three part series of starter kits for Advanced Squad Leader
. The goal of these is to introduce the rules of the massive World War II wargame in more manageable pieces. While the first focused on small infantry-only skirmishes, the second is based around confrontations involving infantry and the use of field ordnance, the third introduces the world of tanks and other fighting vehicles.
The box is a complete game, including rules (complete with updated rules from Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 & Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #2), counters, eight scenarios, (S20-S27) and three new maps (boards t, u, and v).