La Grande Guerre 14-18 (The Great War 14-18)
The English rule set was released in 2002.
La Grande Guerre is a strategic simulation of World War 1. Two maps cover all of Europe. Off map boxes represent Asia / Africa.
Game year is broken down into 9 turns. Production takes place on the interphase every 3 turns. Either side may move first on a given turn. Two different combat systems are included. The initial combat system simulates the 1914 battles w/o trenches. Losses are lower and retreats are likely. In 1915 a new combat system is used. This new system is detailed, but does a good job showing the complexities of trench warfare (retreats are scarce and losses are real high). The game includes a limited fog of war. You may not look at opposing stacks, and units may be off board.
The game is very complete in its depiction of WWI. (Similar to how World in Flames recreates WWII).
Additional aspects of the game include:
- Limits on coordination between different armies
- General Counters.
- Naval War
- National Will - Leads to uprisings, mutinies, strikes even the dreaded revolution (likely to be Russia, but not necessarily them or a communist revolution). Note NW is lost on losing units and battles, so these effects are not random.
- Air / Armor
- 2 large map sheets (Europe, Middle East and World off-map boxes) - each map: 95 x 67.5cm (37.4 x 26.5 inch)
- 2 dices
- Loss charts (to be photocopied)
- 7 Armies Boxes charts (front/back) - 3 blue (Allies) & 4 brown (Centrals)
- Russie-Serbie-Roumanie (Russia-Serbia-Rumania)
- France-Angleterre (France-England)
- Italie-Etats Unis / Turquie-Etats Unis (Italy-United States / Turkey-United States)
- Autriche-Turquie / Autriche-Serbie-Grèce-Roumanie-Bulgarie
- Allemagne Ouest-Italie
- Allemagne Est
- Allemagne 1918
- 4 Rules & scenario booklets:
- Basic (for all 1914)
- Trench (for 1915+)
- Advanced (for Grand Campaign scenario: politics, diplomacy, technologies, air, production, naval)
- Scenarios (campaign scenario 1914-18, 6 scenarios for 1914, 6 scenarios for 1916-18)
- 8 Game Aid booklets:
- Entry into war (1914)
- Events & US entry chart
- Combat & movement (x2)
- Austria-Hungary & Turkey
- France & England
- Russia, United States & Italy
- 7 Counter sheets (1820 counters) :
- 1 France, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Holland, Russia, Belgium, United States
- 2 Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Rumania, Russia
- 3 Russia, United States, France, Germany
- 4 Austria-Hungary, Turkey, England
- 5 England, Italy, Turkey, United States, miscellaneous
- 6 Diplomatic (various)
- 7 Persia, Japan, technology sets, event chits