Game description from the publisher:
In Urbania the city center has seen glory in its past. But the future calls to you for renewal! Build the new city upon the old, and forge ahead with progress, hammering new profits from those old foundations! Plan a new landscape and garner power and prestige to yourself!
In Urbania, players renew buildings and hire specialists while trying to accomplish goals set in their submitted projects.
On your turn, you can do 2 of the following 4 actions (you can pick the same action twice):
- Draw cards (from the resource/project piles or the resource pool)
- Renew a building
- Hire a specialist (from the pool or from another player)
- Submit a project (kept hidden until the end of the game)
Both renewing buildings and hiring specialists are done with the resource cards, which consist of construction helmet (renewing) or coin icons (hiring) - or both. After you have used cards for renewing a building, you get to keep the cards with coin icons left in front of you for later use in hiring a specialist. On the other hand, if you hire a specialist with cards from your hand, you discard the cards and lose the construction helmet icons.
You score in three different ways:
- Renewing buildings scores you points immediately based on the renewed building
- Specialists in your control score at the end of your turn based on the amount of built buildings of that type
- Project cards score you points at the end of the game in one of 4 different ways: buildings renewed in a specific area, specific type of buildings renewed and specialist values (either one or two specialists)