1 Posts

Atlantic Storm» Forums » Sessions

Subject: How to ruin the game by messing up a rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Berry
United States
flag msg tools
First off this session report should be considered more of a confession than a session repor. I pulled this game from my closet after not having played it for two or three years and proceeded to take it to our gaming group to be played without brushing up on the rules.

I got my brother Jim, and Tuesday night gamers Barry and Allen to agree to play. I proceeded to explain the rules. I covered most of the rules fairly well but confused the other player briefly with my explanation of the possible battle areas (I said Arctic, North Atlantic and South Atlantic befor realizing that their was only Artic and Atlantic with the rainy looking cards usable in either of the two fronts.) Most of the rules I got right unfortunately ... I made one key rule mistake. I told the group that whoever first declared for a side would get to divide the spoils if their side won. This is incorrect as it should be the player who most contributes to the win divides the spoils.

This single rules error caused the game to be quite lifeless as many rounds players simply discarded a card instead of joining in the fight. gulp

Barry jumped off to an early lead in convoys, followed by Allen and me. The early lead translated into a bigger hand size that kept Barry in front the whole game. For about half the game Jim had no points at all. Eventually Jim gained some points when he was determined to be a non-factor by the leaders and thrown some scraps.

The game took over an hour and a half and suffered from much analysis paralysis and little deal making. It's amazing to me how much screwing up one rule can ruin a game. Lesson to the wise (and me) in the future is to re-read all the rules for a game that you have not played in years before teaching it to others who have never played.

I will have to apologize to my group next week and will endeavor to do better in the future.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.