Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
DH is the only expansion I have, and I like the new board and locations and all the features it adds... it just seems like there's little activity up there in our games.

I was thinking about shuffling the DH mythos cards into the top half of the mythos deck. Has anyone tried anything like this? Does it work well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "official" variant is to keep the two decks separate and alternate drawing them, making it every other turn a Dunwich event...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t diddy

California
msg tools
mbmb
shnar has a good one but we play with a very simple one that doesn't involve as much deck manipulation.

Simply, monsters in Dunwich DO count towards the monster limit. This makes gates that pop up in Dunwich more necessary to deal with since monster surges can hurt if you don't have one or two people up there do deal with it.

The great thing about AH is it's very customizable and many house rules we use are both thematic and make the game more difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now probably isn't the right time to do it, but we found that adding Miskatonic pretty much fixed the problem of the sleepy expansion board - plus you get more Location Encounters too. As I say though, you probably want to wait until you have more expansions so you get better value from MH (especially as it's meant for multi-expansion games - though we never multi-expansion and still appreciate what it brings to the party).

An alternative would be to build a Mythos deck for each game (you only need about 30 cards really: 20 Arkham, 10 Dunwich). You could make slight adjustments to the proportion of Arkham vs. Dunwich Mythos to suit your preferences (bearing in mind DH Mythos are about 30% Arkham Gates, mainly to add Gate Bursts to Arkham). This approach has the benefit that you can easily archive off the Mythos that got played during the game so that you can work through the complete set over a number of games. It also has the benefit of being less "streaky", the issue with massive Mythos stacks is that although the average proportions are the same as in my Variant, there's more room for clustering of cards from a particular expansion to occur in the first 30 cards, my Variant more or less guarantees a particular level of activity in Dunwich (you could get unlucky and get all the Arkham Gates from Dunwich)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Messing with the mythos deck can be dark alchemy, though... the gate frequencies are obvious, but there are also the matters of monster movements, environment balance and rumor balance. (Clue frequency pretty much follows gate frequency.)

Of course, discrepancies can come up just due to random chance with a full deck, but you want to be careful not to build any biases in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Messing with the mythos deck can be dark alchemy, though... the gate frequencies are obvious, but there are also the matters of monster movements, environment balance and rumor balance. (Clue frequency pretty much follows gate frequency.)

Of course, discrepancies can come up just due to random chance with a full deck, but you want to be careful not to build any biases in...
Agreed. But if you just deal 20 off the Arkham stack and 10 off the Dunwich stack and then shuffle them to make the Mythos deck for the game, I guarantee that there is no greater chance of such an effect being observed in the game than if you were working with the combined complete decks. You are, however, much less likely to see extremes of streakiness and much less likely to see a somnolent Dunwich board (or, on the down side, a freakishly active one either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your responses... you all contributed good ideas. I think the next time we play we will try the seperate Mythos decks variant, and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.