Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. L. Garner
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would like to thank everyone for your interest and questions this week! It was a fun week!

Now it's time for me to pass the baton on....to the next GOTW.

It's my pleasure to introduce the next Geek of the Week - Ryan Sturm.

I don't know Ryan personally, but have enjoyed hours and hours of listening to his podcasts and I believe he is deserving of this honor....
Ryan has contributed a lot to the board gaming community in several ways, including hosting his very informative and educational podcasts "How to Play" and "Ludology". I have used Ryan's insightful comments many times to teaching games to newbies (and veterans) and they have helped me get them interested in this hobby without overwhelming them to much at first. I think Ryan is a great teacher and has done a fantastic job in breaking down the elements of complicated games to make them seem simple and easy to understand.

Please join me in welcoming Ryan to the podium .... let the questioning begin!

Enjoy the week ahead Ryan!

And keep those podcasts coming.....

My Intro:

Hello everyone! My name is Ryan Sturm I am an elementary school teacher from Western New York. Two passions are much of my life work; education and games. The intertwining of the two allowing me to make some contributions here to the BGG community.

A long journey began with the writing of this article, How to Teach Games. After becoming an avid podcast listener I thought a natural way for me to contribute was to start my own podcast using my teaching background to teach complex games. Well I am 44 games in with many special episodes as well that you can find here www.howtoplaypodcast.com I also created teaching guides to go along with the episodes.

I do segments for the Dice Tower Podcast and asked Geoff Englestein of GameTech fame to come on and do a bit at the end of my How to Play Dominant Species episode on how games have evolved. Well that bit became an episode and that episode led to Ludology. A podcast about analyzing games and what makes them tick.

But many people may not know that I am also just as passionate about using games to teach in my classroom as I am about teaching games. An episode I was most excited about was episode 40 of Ludology where we talked about using games in the classroom. I have units with role-playing elements about Native Americans, Lewis and Clark and government, a colony unit using role-playing and a settlersish economy, A community simulation unit and my favorite; a secret agent geography unit called "Fiona SanFrancisco" (you can probably guess the inspiration) I hope someday soon to be able to share these units with interested educators.

Since starting podcasting I have been blessed with two beautiful children Gwendolyn who is 3 (This is her when she was 1 in a funny shirt)

and Sven who is 1 (This is him when he was 6 months in a funny shirt)

This leaves less time for my podcasting projects as I love to spend as much time as I can with my beautiful wife (artist of this)

and my wonderful kids. But I still enjoy the hobby and look forward to spending many more hours on the mic talking about games and the wonderful hobby of gaming. Yet still find some time to play some games too!

Ryan

Poll: Two Truths and a Lie
1. 1 - My extreme love of the game Caylus caused me to go a bit overboard and purchase 4 premium limited editions. 3 of which are in shrink in my basement.
True
False
2. 2 - In college I undertook a 200-mile hike on a section of the Appalachian Trail. Afterwards one side of my face went totally numb, I had contracted Lyme Disease from a deer tick. This made being the song leader as a camp counselor that summer especially difficult. Most particularly the song "Stodily Poomba"
True
False
3. 3 - My father-in-law is a well known NHL player from the 1970s. I try to be very nice to him.
True
False
      333 answers
Poll created by cowhollow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulation Ryan,

Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Enjoy the upcoming week!

d10-1 – Do you have a favorite opera? If yes, which one?
d10-2 – What is the best city in the world and why?
d10-3 - What cd do you now have in your cd player?
d10-4 – If we would meet one day at the gaming table, what would you propose to play from your collection and what from my collection?
d10-5 - What do you plan playing this week?
d10-6 - What under- or unused theme would you like to see implemented in a game?
d10-7 - What is the best sketch in Monty Python?
d10-8 - You will be Geek of the Week during Spiel 2013. How does that feel? And what Essen release would you like to review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
Upper Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Ask me about Kanban:Automotive Revolution
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats Ryan !!!!

I would have picked you too if I didn't have to pick someone outside the US.

Well Deserved. Enjoy your week.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. L. Garner
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few questions from me also

d10-0 Why did you decide to start a podcast?

d10-1 How do you combine board gaming and and your profession...teaching kids? Do you find games accepted by the Education community as a bonafide way of educating kids?

d10-2 What does your wife think about your hobby? Does she also play games?

d10-3 Which How To Play podcast are you most proud of and why?

d10-4 How did you get involved in the Ludology podcast ?

d10-5 When do you plan to publish your first game? When will Trading in the Med be available for purchase ?

d10-6 How do you think board gaming relates to 'real life' skills? In what ways are games helpful in becoming a better person? Both as a child and as adults?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Congrats Ryan, enjoy your week!

I've really enjoyed your howtoplay podcasts in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Ryan. I love your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiwwh
Congratulations Ryan!
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiwwh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations on making Geek of the Week, Ryan!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy N
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ryan, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ryan - I'm looking forward to your responses over the week.

I've always wondered - do you secretly hope to meet someone called Drang one day in order that you can team up and, well, fight crime and stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ryan. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ryan. This is well deserved.

Your How to Teach Games podcast has been particularly useful for me, and I recommend it all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Your kids' names are awesome, like from a fairy tale or a Wes Anderson movie.

My question was ninja'd:

ravinck wrote:
d10-8 - You will be Geek of the Week during Spiel 2013. How does that feel? And what Essen release would you like to review?

Greetings from Essen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Blair
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to do it, Faye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ryan!
This is long over-due.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I think of Ryan Sturm...for some reason I start singing, "consume".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ryan, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ryan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ryan, this is very well deserved!
I'm a huge How to Play and Ludology fan so keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, you do a terrific job of summarizing a game's rulebook and feel in a wonderfully detailed way that never lacks momentum. You've got a gift for sure. Thanks for all you've done for all of us here at BGG!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ryan!

It is a great week to be The Geek of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"The actions that you're taking now… Are they based on the ideals you cling to? Or are they based on actual truths? And if they are…
badge
How much of the truth do you think you know?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats, Ryan! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marling
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Congrats - can't believe it didn't happen sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! GEEK! so, we're A-L-L desirous upon attaining your 'insight' as regarded your reply to the followings:

WHAT: is your favourite colors?

WHAT: is your favourite number of the alphabet?

WHAT: is the 'hairpiece atrocity' of a 'coconut-laden' swallow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody I am so proud to join the illustrious Geek of the Week Club!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravinck wrote:
congratulation Ryan,

Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Enjoy the upcoming week!

d10-1 – Do you have a favorite opera? If yes, which one?
d10-2 – What is the best city in the world and why?
d10-3 - What cd do you now have in your cd player?
d10-4 – If we would meet one day at the gaming table, what would you propose to play from your collection and what from my collection?
d10-5 - What do you plan playing this week?
d10-6 - What under- or unused theme would you like to see implemented in a game?
d10-7 - What is the best sketch in Monty Python?

1 - Jesus Christ Superstar, does that count?
2 - I don't really like cities, more of a suburb or Appalachian mountains kinda guy
3 - People still have cd players? What I play on my ipod recently is a fantastic artist for kid's songs Frances England, "Family Tree" and Gwen and I sing along to awesome songs like Tea Party and You & Me as I take her back and forth to daycare
4 - I'd try to lure you to playtest Trading in the Mediterranean, and then Id ask to play Manhattan Project, I haven't tried that one yet
5 - Playtest Trading in the Mediterranean, Canterbury, Keyflower
6 - Downton Abbey or Princess Bride
7 - Ugg this is tough, Im here for an argument please? ORRR I have had stuck in my head for the last twenty years Graham Chapman in a bizzare getup saying "FISHY FISHY FISHY FISH. It is a most elusive fish and it went wherever I may go...." It's so bizarrely insane.
8 - Sad that I won't get more attention as everyone will be so worried about Essen that they wont pay attention to a week that is supposed to be about me. ME ME ME ME Me Look at me! What game would I want to play? Lewis and Clark. I lOVE lewis and Clark, I sure hope the game is at least okay.

Phew this is only the first one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.