Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you get in a game a feeling you just don’t like. For my friend and I, this was the “race” feeling of WoW. So we made this variant where you can enjoy the game without spending the last third of it trying to outrun the other team in killing the Overlord first. There is still a lot of competition, and PvP is more interesting. And with those rules, there is a real motivation to get to lvl 5 and do some of the harder quests. Make some VP counters (or use those from Puerto Rico), and keep them hidden like in most euros. If a faction has 4 more VP at the end of the game than the other one, they win; otherwise, just do the final PvP to sort it out. Note that you don’t win by beating the Overlord here, but he’s still worthy of a fight… Have fun!

Successfully Completing a Quest
Quest level I: 1 VP *
Quest level II: 2 VP *
Quest level III: 3 VP *
Quest level IV: 4 VP *
Quest level V: 5 VP *

Beating the Overlord
10 VP

Winning a PvP combat
If you are the Attacker: 2 VP
If you are the Defender: 1 VP

Event Cards
Winning a War: 2 VP
Beating a Boss: 3 VP *
Completing a Quest through Subterfuge: quest -1

Killing an Independent (Blue) Monster
Wraith, Worgen, Wildkin, Ogre: 1 VP *
Drake, Doom Guard: 2 VP *
Infernal: 3 VP *

Every time a character reaches level 5
4 VP

Every time your faction is defeated
-1 VP for each defeated character

* : + 1 VP if completed by a single character, -1 VP if completed by three characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I like the sound of this a lot I'll have to see ifn I can convince everyone to play like this next time we try

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 5 games with them, and they seem to work very well. I can't really imagine playing the basic game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More discussion at: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else used this and find it good. I've yet to play the game, but it does seem like a rather good variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hdslj dsjkl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
LOL, I got this from you somewhere else it seems and couldn't find it again. I decided to repost this on the files page today and had to create a user acount to do so. Once i created the account now I can see the forums and started looking around and found this! Well, I hope with it being duplicated onto the files page more unregistered users will find it anyhow. I have really enjoyed this variant, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think you just sold me a game. You fixed what I knew I would loathe about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My only thought is that the '+1 VP if done alone' kinda skews the balance a bit, and encourages players to work separately, so you don't get the fun teamwork that you can get from the basic game.

For example, three players fighting a level V quest is worth 4 VP. One player doing two level I quests is worth 4 VP. Which one is harder?

I might recommend using the game's own XP bonus system for your VP bonuses. If a player on the team is eligible for an XP bonus, the quest is worth +1 VP. If a player would have taken an XP penalty, the quest is worth -that many VP. This encourages people to keep taking on harder quests, and seeing how far they can push before the game gets too hard for them - which is what I love about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I might recommend using the game's own XP bonus system for your VP bonuses. If a player on the team is eligible for an XP bonus, the quest is worth +1 VP. If a player would have taken an XP penalty, the quest is worth -that many VP.

Sure, try it if you want! If you do so, make sure you tell me how it went. Just know that we've played (probably) over 15 games with those VP rules, and they seem to work very well.

Quote:

This encourages people to keep taking on harder quests

Don't forget that the level 5 bonus and the "beating the Overlord" VP are quite significant. Usually enough for the players to want to try the most rewarding quests.

But if someone tries your suggestion (I might), I suggest keeping the modifiers for number of characters in the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, obviously because at the end of the game (after turn 30) both teams reveal their points. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lamberson
United States
Crestview
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Do you still apply the points when the mage polymorphs an independent? That seems a bit cheap to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lamberss wrote:
Do you still apply the points when the mage polymorphs an independent? That seems a bit cheap to me.

You're right. No point for polymorph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this need to be updated for the BC expansion? Maybe add 1 more VP for 6th level quests and make the 5th level bonus 6th instead? Also, with the "30 turns" rule ousted in the expansion, what should the time limit of the game be?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Vogel
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Also, with the "30 turns" rule ousted in the expansion, what should the time limit of the game be?...

I would think that would be up to the group, or use a real-time limit. (Useful when a store is closing and players need to clean up by that time.) I.E. Say the store closes in 3 1/2 hours, you could play a 3 hour game, determine the winner, and clean up in time for closing. This then makes shorter games possible! The actual time-frame is wide open with this optional rule, as long as you give both sides the same amount of turns and everyone knows well in advance how long they have to play. I love it!

Also, my son and I played today using the cooperative rules posted here on the 'Geek and included this VP variant as well. It worked really well. We tracked our score and plan to try to beat that within 15 rounds of co-op play next time. (10VP's for today; almost 22 but Kel beat us by 1 frickin' point!! Ugh!)

I tell ya, between the cooperative variant and now this VP variant, I see us playing this game a HELL of a lot more than I would have thought initially. I might even buy the expansions now that I know we'll get more play out of it!

God bless the 'Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Vogel
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea would be to have the game end at a certain VP total. Just off the top of my head, so I haven't given it any real thought as to a number, but I might think that you'd have to have a penalty factored in for quests below your characters experience level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
why do you have more VP for winning a PvP encounter as the attacker than as the defender?

usually I find it easier to win as the attacker, as one will often be at full resources fighting an unprepaired defender after they have expended resources on a combat.

If anything I would think the defender should get 2 and the attacker only 1 point.

-Kyrinthic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Prestonpans
East Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually love the look of this variant. I did like the basic game but I kinda felt there was something missing from it and I haven't played it much as a result... there wasn't a big "replay" factor for me. This variant looks like it'll bring a better feel to it, so I'm gonna force it on my cousin next time he comes round

Thumbs up from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrinthic wrote:
why do you have more VP for winning a PvP encounter as the attacker than as the defender?

usually I find it easier to win as the attacker, as one will often be at full resources fighting an unprepaired defender after they have expended resources on a combat.

If anything I would think the defender should get 2 and the attacker only 1 point.

-Kyrinthic

The attacker recieves more VP than the defender in PvP combat because they are the ones who actually had to spend a challenge action to start the fight (not to mention probably a Travel action to get there also). WoW is all about being efficient with your very limited actions (only 30 for the entire game!), to invest 1 (probably 2) actions in a PvP combat is a major investment and is worthy of greater rewards than if you are simply standing there and someone attacks you, earning you VP for doing nothing.

Also this encourages players to actually start PvP battles since the rewards are greater for the attacker. If you offered double the VP to the defending side, no one would want to risk attacking another player, the rewards would be too small and the risk too great.

To the OP: Do you play with Deadly or Normal PvP rules with this variant, and do you think it matters which you use? Also, have you ever tried the house rule where enemy players count as blue creatures for movement\challenge actions with this variant? Looks great, I hope to give it a try one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, a blast from the past! It's been a while since I played WoW:bg and I never got around to update those rules for play with Burning Crusade.

Kartigan wrote:
To the OP: Do you play with Deadly or Normal PvP rules with this variant, and do you think it matters which you use?

I only played with Normal PvP once (on my first game). Only Deadly PvP for sure. And no, I don't think it matters.

Kartigan wrote:
Also, have you ever tried the house rule where enemy players count as blue creatures for movement\challenge actions with this variant?

No, I never did. Sounds kinda dangerous. I don't think my gaming group would like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are assuming team play, right?

If you play this "every man for himself", how would you recommend dividing up the points among the players when more than one guy completes a quest?

I would prefer to try this as "EMFH" if you think it will work.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Leblanc
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, it's been so long since I played WoW: tbg that I don't feel any confident in giving out advice for variants. blush

However, if you do try it, please let us know how it went and how you adapted it for individual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.