2 Posts

Cape Horn» Forums » General

Subject: Gameboard Belies the Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
flag msg tools
Has anyone else had a problem with the way Cape Horn's game board belies its rules?

In at least a couple of places in the game's rules, it mentions that there are three nautical stations in each of the game board's three zones. Yet every time I look at the board, I see two nautical stations in the East, four in the South, and three in the West.

Maybe I'd better check again.

Yep. There they are again. Two in the East, four in the South, and three in the West.

Why this nit-pick? Because it's not a nit! This three-stations-in-each-zone baloney messed my group up!! We always played that you couldn't get a yellow token in the East! We'd race like hell to collect our red or green ones there, and then pick up an easy yellow token in the South, where there were two yellow nautical stations! If your wind cards didn't allow easy travel to the closer one, you picked up your yellow token at the farther one.

During our last game, somebody was perusing the rules and discovered all these references to "three nautical stations in each zone," and we eventually figured out that there were supposed to be three stations in each zone despite what the actual game board presented us. It will probably change our strategy quite a bit when we finally start playing the game right!

Don't get me wrong, we all like this game a great deal. And since we were all playing under the same misconception, no one was cheated by our mistake. But the game would be less confusing if the #1 yellow nautical station on the game board was located in the East zone, as the rules claim it is!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shaver
flag msg tools
I think the rules make this point pretty clear. I don't have my Rio Grande Rules here but the translation on the geek says the following:

rules translation wrote:
Note: although the zones and areas are similar, they are not exactly the same. Specifically, the yellow nautical station for zone I is in the second area (blue) as are all the nautical stations for zone II. All of the nautical stations for zone III lie in the third area (red).

Warning: total assumption on my part below
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I assume that "areas" and "nautical zones" were originally intended to be the same but in play testing it was found that the yellow station was too easy to get to so they moved it into the 2nd "area" (or some such)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.