Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi, I'm Mike Selinker, a game designer and president of Lone Shark Games. We're a small company founded by me and James Ernest, with a handful of employees in the Seattle area. We've designed the games Pirates of the Spanish Main, Unspeakable Words, Lords of Vegas, 12 Days, and the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, among many others. I've been active on BGG and gone to BGG.Con, because it's a community that I like quite a bit.

I've seen the HeroQuest 25th anniversary game get booted off of Kickstarter, get booted off of Verkami, and then respawn on Lanzanos. It's unclear to me whether they'll get booted off Lanzanos as well, but it's no given. There's a very good chance Gamezone will get their money and (at least try to) make their game.

It's a fairly simple situation to me: The rights holders for HeroQuest have not given permission to Gamezone to make this game, at least in English. The naming rights holders have also not given that permission. As far as I can tell, there isn't anyone who's given Gamezone permission except a legion of crowdfunding backers.

So if you support this game, what you are saying is that you don't care if the rights holders of games get paid for their work. That's a tenuous position for me. It means you don't care if I and my coworkers are able to make a living off what we do without fear that our works will be stolen. I don't expect everyone to hold that value uppermost in their minds, but that value -- that I can make something, sell the rights to someone else if I want, and then make an income off the sales of that item -- is what keeps me making games that people seem to like. Activity that undermines that principle is very damaging to me, even if it occurs on a game I didn't write in a country I don't live in.

So if you're supporting this blatant ripoff of Heroquest, I hope you'll reconsider your pledge. Thanks for listening.

Mike
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Oh hello.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bad precedent for everyone, if it gets funded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent Lanzanos an email with a copy of the copyright dispute notice from Kickstarter's site urging them to remove the project. If others would do so as well, they might agree if they get enough complaints.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
I have sent Lanzanos an email with a copy of the copyright dipute notice from Kickstarter's site urging them to remove the project. If others would do so as well, they might agree if they get enough complaints.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Mike!

I would like that very much. Thanks for your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mike,

My son is approaching the age I was when I first played Heroquest. My father and I played together, and I would love to get to play it with my son.

However, I will not be backing this project until and unless they can resolve the rights issues. Proof that they have obtained permission from Hasbro is a must before I will even consider backing the project.

If we, as gamers, fail to consider the rights and needs of the game designers, we will begin to see fewer and fewer designers creating new games.

Board Gaming as a hobby requires *both* gamers and game designers. If the gamers begin to see game designers as "enemy" and trying to short-circuit their hard work just to get a cheaper product, then there will be no new games to play.

Everyone loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brind
United Kingdom
Bonnybridge
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hear what you're saying, but as far as I can see Moon Design Publications never declared any intention to create a board game until the Gamezone debacle. My worry there is that they've seen the demand for a HeroQuest board game and will jump on the band wagon because they own the name, producing a game that is nothing like the old game that people are wanting to celebrate. The whole thing is a bit sad. :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a funny position for a game company that bases its livelihood off the SRD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
RanDomino wrote:
That's a funny position for a game company that bases its livelihood off the SRD.

Well, first off, I'm neither Wizards of the Coast nor Paizo, both of which I've worked for. I was in WotC R&D when the SRD was created, and at Paizo when they launched Pathfinder. But Lone Shark is neither of those companies, and these are my opinions, not theirs.

But regardless, the d20 System was created to enable this form of copyright license. HeroQuest has never been part of such a thing, so I don't see the connection.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
mike selinker wrote:

It's a fairly simple situation to me: The rights holders for HeroQuest have not given permission to Gamezone to make this game, at least in English. The naming rights holders have also not given that permission. As far as I can tell, there isn't anyone who's given Gamezone permission except a legion of crowdfunding backers.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your opinion, to which I'm sympathetic (and no longer a backer, I dropped out while the KS project was in dispute prior to the move to Verkami.)

But I don't think it's quite so simple. It seems that GZ does have the rights, in Spain, to make the game (regardless of language). It also seemed as though they were in communication with Hasbro, something they claimed but so far have been unable or unwilling to produce proof. It seems highly unlikely they would use the old Hasbro commercial without having spoken with someone first (the old commercial was included in the video from the original KS, but is now conspicuously absent from the current crowdfunding effort! I suspect Hasbro recognized a poisonous situation when they saw it, and dropped their support)

Despite this, I still feel this wasn't a well run campaign, with too many unanswered questions even for me to back it (I have a much lower threshold for risk; e.g., I eagerly backed Up Front, and can't wait for it to get here!). I just wish GZ had been much more transparent and diligent with their efforts to secure the rights to produce this game, from both a legal and ethical viewpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
But I don't think it's quite so simple. It seems that GZ does have the rights, in Spain, to make the game (regardless of language). It also seemed as though they were in communication with Hasbro, something they claimed but so far have been unable or unwilling to produce proof. It seems highly unlikely they would use the old Hasbro commercial without having spoken with someone first (the old commercial was included in the video from the original KS, but is now conspicuously absent from the current crowdfunding effort! I suspect Hasbro recognized a poisonous situation when they saw it, and dropped their support)

Despite this, I still feel this wasn't a well run campaign, with too many unanswered questions even for me to back it (I have a much lower threshold for risk; e.g., I eagerly backed Up Front, and can't wait for it to get here!). I just wish GZ had been much more transparent and diligent with their efforts to secure the rights to produce this game, from both a legal and ethical viewpoint.

As far as I can tell, at best they have the rights to the use of a name in one country. They do not have the rights to the game.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
It seems that GZ does have the rights, in Spain, to make the game (regardless of language).

There is an entire thread dedicated to the legal aspect, and I know you participated in a multiple threads here, so you must realize this statement is misinformation.

A trademark alone does not the grant one rights to produce a derivative work. A trademark is all GZ has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dorward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brindy wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but as far as I can see Moon Design Publications never declared any intention to create a board game until the Gamezone debacle.

Most companies don't announce projects until they are well into development.

There have been Glorantha boardgames before. It's not unsurprising that a new one might be in the works.

brindy wrote:
My worry there is that they've seen the demand for a HeroQuest board game and will jump on the band wagon because they own the name, producing a game that is nothing like the old game that people are wanting to celebrate.

I wouldn't worry. I doubt Moon Design are cynical enough to rush out a game to fleece people like that, or that they would want the negative feeling that taking such a course would generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brindy wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but as far as I can see Moon Design Publications never declared any intention to create a board game until the Gamezone debacle.

What does this have to do with anything? Regardless of whether they had announced a board game or not, they do have a product line in place under this name already and did so well before the GZ debacle.

Quote:
My worry there is that they've seen the demand for a HeroQuest board game and will jump on the band wagon because they own the name, producing a game that is nothing like the old game that people are wanting to celebrate. The whole thing is a bit sad.

Why is this a worry? If Moon Design makes a game it's going to be based on the setting they're already producing RPGs for (Glorantha). I don't see why that should be an issue for fans of the MB game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rank Zero
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

For reference:
The only thing they own is the TM for the name alone (and only in Spain). They do not have a license to reprint the game from the right holders of the game. A TM is also what Moon Design own in the US for the name HeroQuest, which would enable them to create their own board game called HeroQuest (based on their own world, characters, etc.), but in no way means they are allowed to reprint the same game that was also called Heroquest (which would be the IP).

They also have changed their statement in regards to their communication with Hasbro multiple times.

At first they said there was an agreement with Hasbro Iberia.
Then someone who worked with GZ posted how GZ had a phone call with Hasbro, talking about the situation and how they all had a good laugh about it that could be heard "kilometres around". This statement was later removed.
Then, in an interview, GZ confirmed they have never actually spoken with Hasbro, because they don't think they need to in order to reprint the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
brindy wrote:
they've seen the demand for a HeroQuest board game and will jump on the band wagon because they own the name, producing a game that is nothing like the old game that people are wanting to celebrate. The whole thing is a bit sad.

In point-of-fact, this is *exactly* what GZ is claiming to be doing. At the very bottom of their lanzanos page:

GameZone Miniatures on Lanzanos.com wrote:
All illustrations, board, miniatures, rules and any other components are brand new and property of Gamezone Miniatures.
(emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
mattprice wrote:
It seems that GZ does have the rights, in Spain, to make the game (regardless of language).

There is an entire thread dedicated to the legal aspect, and I know you participated in a multiple threads here, so you must realize this statement is misinformation.

A trademark alone does not the grant one rights to produce a derivative work. A trademark is all GZ has.

Yea, and I stand by my opinion. They've acquired the rights to produce the game in Spain. They can't use original art, minis or anything from the original game, but my takeaway message is that rules aren't protected.

And though it was initially interesting for a while, those threads got so trollish I've left long ago. (and accusing me of spreading "misinformation" is just silly, given that nearly all of this is conjecture anyway. I was hoping this thread would remain more civil, but there's the internet for you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Houle
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, did you personally contact Stephen Baker? Hasbro? If not, you only speculating. You are just like Gamezone, with no proof of nothing.

Doing what you doing and being a professional can bring you trouble for defamation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

Yea, and I stand by my opinion. They've acquired the rights to produce the game in Spain. They can't use original art, minis or anything from the original game, but my takeaway message is that rules aren't protected.

And though it was initially interesting for a while, those threads got so trollish I've left long ago. (and accusing me of spreading "misinformation" is just silly, given that nearly all of this is conjecture anyway. I was hoping this thread would remain more civil, but there's the internet for you.)

Not trying to make this un-civil, but rights =/= trademark. It's not really a matter subject to opinion. They have the right to produce a game named HeroQuest, yes, but not a reprint of MB/GW's HeroQuest, or a work considered derivative of the same; but the way you have stated it leaves it open to too many incorrect interpretations.

With a subject that has as many rumors as this one, I think being a bit on the pedantic side serves everyone best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistersam wrote:
Mike, did you personally contact Stephen Baker? Hasbro? If not, you only speculating. You are just like Gamezone, with no proof of nothing.

Doing what you doing and being a professional can bring you trouble for defamation.

Eh? How is Mike just like Gamezone? I don't seem to be able to find his crowdfunded campaign for a country specific TM'ed name related to an older OOP yet much beloved franchise. Gotta link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
If this were any of today's smaller publishing companies, I'd feel a lot more sympathy toward them, but Hasbro? They can bugger off.

Where does this attitude come from? You know that large companies are run by real humans too, right? Real humans with real families that are just doing their jobs better more successfully than people at smaller companies are, right?

Working for a large company hardly makes someone a tool, it may just mean that they care about giving their family the best lifestyle they can, and their best opportunity was at a large company.

Talk about being prejudice to a segment of the population, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, another thread with comments base on assumptions. yeey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
wow, another thread with comments base on assumptions. yeey.

Well, the last one was slowing down, so, you know...

... stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Houle
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Pinkymadigan

shake Gamezone say they have approval of Hasbro but not giving proof...
Just like Mike tell thing he can't prove.

But I think you know that and just trying to make me look stupid? typical shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistersam wrote:
@Pinkymadigan

shake Gamezone say they have approval of Hasbro but not giving proof...
Just like Mike tell thing he can't prove.

But I think you know that and just trying to make me look stupid? typical shake

What exactly does Mike need to prove? He wrote an opinion post which contained well sourced links backing his opinion. Please cite what you would like proof on exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brindy wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but as far as I can see Moon Design Publications never declared any intention to create a board game until the Gamezone debacle. My worry there is that they've seen the demand for a HeroQuest board game and will jump on the band wagon because they own the name, producing a game that is nothing like the old game that people are wanting to celebrate. The whole thing is a bit sad. :(

Problem here is... By Gamezones own admission. Their HeroQuest game might not be HeroQuest either. They specifically stated they were not going to recreate the game.

But as said elsewhere. No rules have been shown yet. What this game will really be is a total cypher reguards the rules and gameplay. Alot of fans and backers seem to be leaping it with absolute wishful thinking that this will be a one for one reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.