Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Davis
United States
Mt Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently presented preliminary research on Women and Gaming at BGG.Con 2013. This research is based on qualitative interviews with women boardgamers. Several individuals who were not able to attend the presentation asked me to post this research to the website. Sorry it has taken so long. Below is a link to the preliminary report.

http://goo.gl/gO7SXU

Thanks to all those who participated in this research project.

Erin
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, Erin, it's a valuable resource already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aimee Inglis-Lee
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great. If you ever need more people to interview, I'm more than happy to take part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful read, Erin!

I really enjoyed it!

Thank you, I especially liked the amount of consideration and work that you obviously used in doing this!

Congratulations!

(You had a typo on one page that I saw! you have FRO instead of FOR)

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlchimera wrote:
This is great. If you ever need more people to interview, I'm more than happy to take part.

Same here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Wonderful read, Erin!

I really enjoyed it!

Thank you, I especially liked the amount of consideration and work that you obviously used in doing this!

Congratulations!

(You had a typo on one page that I saw! you have FRO instead of FOR)

kiss

Page 12... blush

Really interesting research, and as other's have said if you want more interviewees... I found it particularly interesting because I am the only woman at our regular gaming group, but most of my friends generally do game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Holkar
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good material, thank you for gathering and presenting it!

I found the anecdotes about available time for gaming particularly interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moonika Laine
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting read. There were some things I can relate to and some things I found completely mystifying. Probably a cultural difference.

I'm also interested to hear what was the aim for this research. For me having 57 interviews sounds like a small sample group. Or was the focus really to be just women who participated in BGG.con 2013? Or was that just for convenience, knowing that there HAS to some women attending.

And echoing others, if you want more people to interview, contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so happy to see you working on this. There seems to be a lack of research in this area. (Or at least I don't know where to look!) I greatly, greatly appreciate your efforts.

I also volunteer to be a participant if you continue with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

I chuckled when I read this:

"One women noted that when she had kids all of her hobbies stopped but her (now ex-) husband still went out and played D&D."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three more typos:

P. 7: One felt that she as not very good

p. 13: Second, [there's an 'in' instead of 'an']

p. 14: One women [sic] said (about 3/4 of the way down the page)

Good article. I'm 66. I was hoping you might say something about gamers of different ages and how their responses differed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I like the article even if there are a couple of pitfalls. Nothing particularly groundbreaking but I truly appreciate the composed tone after weeks of gaming controversies on Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Davis
United States
Mt Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few people have inquired as to the aim of this research.  I am a sociology professor and gamer combining my personal interest in boardgaming with my academic interest in gender issues.  I decided to explore this topic since gender and gaming is an issue that occasionally arises in various forum discussions, but there is little data on boardgaming specifically.

So this is an exploratory qualitative study.  I was interested in hearing about women gamers’ experiences.  The interviews included open-ended questions that focused on womens' experiences gaming, the boardgaming community, and gender and gaming.

There also seems to be some confusion over the sample.   Women were interviewed between August 2011 and January 2012.  I used a snowball approach to seeking respondents which included posting requests for participants on BGG, attending several conventions and soliciting respondents, and asking for referrals from women gamers.  While I presented my findings at BGG.Con 2013, not all participants attended BGG.Con or are even members of BGG.  More information on the methodology is in the preliminary research report.  

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Willis
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really interesting to read. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erin,
This is very interesting and expands on many things (both good and bad) that I've noticed over a number of years in gaming groups, small game stores and large conventions such as Origins.

Since most of the gaming groups I'm in have a high percentage of women*, I am convinced I've been sensitive to some of the intimidating and condescending behaviors described in your paper and I hope I've avoided them. At the very least, I hope people call me on it if I ever do slip into such behaviors.

* I understand there is more to gender identity and related subjects than just "men" and "women". That's not the point of this thread though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.