Subject: Can you exchange a male card for a female joker. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Landis
United States
Middletown
California
flag msg tools
I just experienced the following on BSW.

A French table had 1 Frenchman, 1 Frenchwoman, and 1 female joker. My opponent was able to exchange a FrenchMAN for the female joker.

Do you think this should be allowed under the rules, or is it a bug in the BSW implementation?

The offical english rules do not seem entirely clear on the subject. I have not tried to make sense of the official german rules yet.

--SpaceSquirrel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting. i don't recall the english rules translation saying that you had to exchange it with a piece of the same gender, so perhaps you can do it so long as you don't violate the seating rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Das
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
My rules - from a Mattel copy - simply say that a Joker can be exchanged with any piece, as long as the seating arrangement is still valid.

The Dutch rules from my Mattel copy say exactly the same. The wording strongly suggests that gender-swapping is allowed without explicitly mentioning it.

I have to remember this next time, we've never played it like that. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
That doesn't seem right to me. We have the Amigo rules, which say that each joker is either male or female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hum..interesting, i have never thought of this before. I suppose it's legal, as long as the rule doesn't specifically say you are not allowed to use 1 joker to change another joker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Sutton
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't make sense. Otherwise why would the wilds have Gender? I have the amigo version that shows illustrated figures of exchanging jokers. Male fo male. Female for female. BSW has some known bugs on this game. I have seen alot of them in my 300 gameplays on there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Landis
United States
Middletown
California
flag msg tools

I'm curious what known bugs there are on BSW. I play CI for the my town in the StadtLiga, so "inquiring minds want to know" .

Giving wild cards a gender limits their flexibility and power. Allowing any legal card to replace and claim them (rather than just same gender) in a sense limits their power as well because your opponent will be able to immediatley claim a wild you just played in more instances.

For what it's worth, I believe the english translation I read says the joker can be replaced "by a corresponding card" or something like that. I'll try to ask one of my german speaking friends to help with the german rules (and possibly scan the forums at BSW).

Thanks for the inputs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone come up with an official or overall conclusion for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Voss
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The English "Mattel" rules state: "...joker....may be exchanged for a customer of the appropriate nationality provided that the seating arrangements are still legal." The latter part of this rule leads me to believe that gender doesn't matter. If one had to swap with same gender, one wouldn't have to worry about the seating arrangements being legal still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.