Subject: Settlers, Seafarers, Cities, & Knights of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really a question to locate rules rather than a clarification.

For the first time in my gaming groups history we finally decided to mix Settlers, Seafarers, Cities, and Knights of Catan last night. Thinking, "Oh yeah there must be at least a paragraph in one of the rule books to give good clarification to crossing over all three." Sadly we were wrong and the night resulted in a trial and error session to try to figure out the best way to mix all three resulting in a bad taste in our mouth for even bothering again.

So, as my skill is apparently limited. Is there a good, clear, concise, and difinitive set of rules out there some where explaining how to mix all three? Otherwise too many things seem left unknown. We don't like scenarios, we like random, so we end up in statistical discussions of how many dessert, gold, 5 tokens, victory points and so forth. It would be nice to have something difinitive rather than oh look there turned out to be two islands this time so lets play to 14 points this time.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the Cities & Knights rulebook, it specifically states that playing scenarios with random aspects will cause trouble, and it is absolutely correct. It gives 3 or 4 recommended Seafarers scenarios. If you pick a compatible scenario, there are no rule complications. You need to pick a Seafarers scenario and stick to it, adding 2 more VPs to the scenario requirement (recommended by the publisher/author).

It is my experience, after giving it many tries, that shoehorning Cities & Knights into a fixed scenario makes the game very long and tedious. The major problem is that the cities only produce one resource, which slows the game down immensely. The scenarios just are not designed for this, especially "Greater Catan". Keep C&K very far from that one. I still have nightmares about that game session.

I strongly suggest you use only one of the expansions at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the Almanac book (not the Game Rules book) for Cities & Knights includes about a page on using it with Seafarers. They recommend against having unrevealed portions of the board or many small islands, so that it isn't too hard to fight off the barbarians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Klaus Teuber's website has a FAQ at http://www.klausteuber.com/en/index.php?page=seefahrer_staed... with a few questions that might not be answered by the Almanac.

1. The double hex for the barbarian ship should be placed outside the map so it doesn't interfere with a line of ships.

2. The victory point goal should be 2 more than in the Seafarers scenario.

3. A city on a gold field just produces 2 resources, not a commodity.

4. A Diplomat can also be used on a ship at the end of a line.

5. The Merchant can't be placed on a gold field.

6. An opponent's knight in the middle of your ship line breaks it for "longest trade route" but doesn't turn them into endpoints for ship movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Seafarers is my group's favorite way to play Settlers, we always include it when playing C&K. I did a write-up for the particular scenario we play here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=12697

In fact, I just recently got a GG tip for it. Basically, it adds a little exploration to the basic C&K game. I'm particularly fond of the 3-player map, which was designed to be more confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.