BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: I decided to create my own Android: Netrunner tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back, I created my own Android: Netrunner tokens using a laser-cutter from a fablab.
This is essentially a lab where everyone can go and use things like a 3D printer, laser-cutter,... and so on.

Here are some photos of my tokens. I made a lot of them :-)

(full size)

Tokens from top left to bottom right:

blue 1 credit/1 advancement token (front and back)
red 5 credits/5 advancements token (front and back)
blue click trackers for corp (front and back)

red virus token (front and back)
blue Corp token (front and back)
red click trackers for runner (front and back)

red 1 MU token (front and back)
red 1 brain damage token (front and back)
red 1 tag token (front and back)

Some additional pictures:

(full size)

(full size)

This is how I store the tokens.

(full size)

The design of the faction logos is by an artist called Prisoner543 and you can find them here.

The brain damage illustration is by an artist called Vlad Marin and can be found here.

The rest of the tokens are of my own design. If anyone is interested, I will gladly share the svg files.

I am really happy with my solution for click tracking. I made 6 click tracker tokens for each side and they are numbered from 1 to 6.
I made 6 of them just to be sure that I had enough of them. For complex turns, I use them and place them on the card(s) I played.
If I take a card, I place a token in front of the card pile. If I take a credit, I place the token next to the bank.
If I install Kati Jones and click her once, I place 2 tokens on her. For simple turns like a three click melange, I do not use them.

I recently converted a friend to Android: Netrunner and he found the click trackers really helpful to keep track of what he was doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. those look excellent. nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tnx a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raverken wrote:
Tnx a lot!

Those SIMM cards are located in Belgium if anyone wanted to look up the Lat/Long coordinates.

http://goo.gl/maps/cf8U1

Great designs on these tokens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Leuven, Belgium and the coordinates are indeed the center of Leuven :-). I thought no one would notice, let alone try to locate it.
Tnx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Was that cut out of opaque colored acrylic? Do you know where that material was sourced from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The material I used was bought in the fablab itself. On the site of Fablab Leuven they mention it is colored Plexi (PMMA) 3mm. That's the only information I have. The white areas on a token are the slightly melted parts of the plexi. The laser I used had two settings (cut and draw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Warren
United States
Ringold
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! Those turned out really nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Greetings, cosmic children of the universe. Welcome to my serenity circle. Please leave all bad vibes outside the healing vortex. Now prepare-I knew I should have got that warranty. (from Shrek 3)
badge
The days of our kind are numberèd. The one God comes to drive out the many gods. The spirits of wood and stream grow silent. It's the way of things. Yes... it's a time for men, and their ways. (from Excalibur)
mbmbmbmbmb

Those are fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I gotta look into how/where to do something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raverken wrote:
I live in Leuven, Belgium and the coordinates are indeed the center of Leuven :-). I thought no one would notice, let alone try to locate it.

Ha! This is the geek you are talking about. I immediately scrolled down to see who would be the first to locate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tnx John and Doug.
@Derek:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Quintana

Bayside
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are beautiful! Would you consider sharing the files? I totally understand if you don't want to but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will send you a PM with the files. I have absolutely no problem sharing the files because sharing and helping each other is what is cool here on boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a copy too, pretty please! These look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I'd like it as well. In addition, does anyone in the US have experience purchasing opaque acrylic? I think thinking of ordering some 2'x4' sheets from eplastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Rodney and Brian: PM'd both of you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Kenny for the hint to FabLab. I didn't know such things exist. And best of all: there is a FabLab opening where I live. I immediately thought "Possibilities for gaming related things are endless!". And guess what: one of the sponsors of the FabLab is the local gaming club

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself work at the university here in Leuven, Belgium and it was purely by accident that I came across the concept of Fablab. Best of all was the moment I realized it was 2 min. by bike of where I work.

I will also check if there are gaming related sponsors but I guess chances are pretty high cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Larsen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great! I'd be interested in the files too, if you're still sending them out.

Also, I imagine this varies from lab-to-lab, but would you mind if I asked about how much they cost you to fabricate, all together?

Alternatively, if you remembered how long it took? The fablabs I've found near me seem to charge on an hourly basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Quintana

Bayside
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I am taking a laser cutting course next month. I am so excited to bring these files with me and pimp my Netrunner

I too also am curious how long this took you to make. I imagine the time may differ depending on the equipment available, but I have no experience with laser cutters. So even a ballpark would be great.

I'll post photos when I'm done (may make a few adjustments) and give you your due credit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Quintana

Bayside
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, I'm really in love with those MU chips..

Any reason why you didn't put the corp logos on the back of the corp click trackers? Too much acrylic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll send you the files through PM.

I only had to pay for the materials used. In total I had to pay 20 Euro (10 Euro per plexi plate).

As for the time it took me, that is tricky. The actual usage of the laser cutter took about 1 hour in total (for everything). I engraved my tokens on both sides and that cost me a lot of time.

Normally you would expect to engrave one side and then engrave and cut the other side. This was also my plan but... the laser used in the Fablab leaves burn marks where it cuts. So together with the people of the Fablab we came up with a solution.

The backside was covered with a protective plastic wrapping (it was there when you bought the plexi plate). We left the cover on the backside and engraved and cut the pate. I then removed all the cut and engraved tokens from the machine. All these tokens had protective film on the backside (which was not yet engraved). I removed the protective film form all the individual tokens.

I put the plate (filled with holes) back in the machine in the exact same position and inserted all the individual tokens in the holes with the engraved side down. Next I ran the same svg file again but with the red lines hidden. The red lines in the drawing are the ones being cut. The black lines are the ones that are engraved. So the backside of the individual tokens was now engraved.

There were indeed burn marks on the cut tokens but these were located on the protective film. After removing the protective film, the backside of the tokens was intact.

The process of removing the protective film from the individual tokens was time consuming and took about 2 hours in total. I had to figure out an efficient technique and finally I used my nails because other sharp object damaged the tokens with scratch marks.

If the laser cutter at your fablab doesn't leave burn marks, then it is a lot simpler. First engrave and then engrave and cut the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Keiryn: I did put all the corp logo's on the corp click trackers but because I made 6 of them and because there are 4 identities, click trackers 1-4 contain the individual corp logo's and click trackers 5 and 6 have a netrunner logo.

In the pictures in the first post I show the front side of click trackers 1-3 and the backside of click trackers 4-6.

I decided to show the front side of click trackers 1-3 so you could see I numbered the click trackers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valeria Vetrova
msg tools
Great idea) I suppose you need also to create a logo or more perfect sign
Try Logaster, really cool thing or smth like that, just to set up interesring image fot your tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aynsley Judson
msg tools
Amazing work!

To my shame i've just realised we have a fablab very near. Would I be able to get a copy of the files too? Would make an excellent addition to A:NR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.