Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent plaidhat podcast, they discussed what they would do to make pandemic a legacy game.

I wanted to bring that disscussion here & get everyone's opinion on this. How would you make pandemic a legacy game?

*for you who don't know what a legacy game is see: Risk Legacy *

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the starting research centre location
Change the cards in the draw pile (maybe a city has been wiped out, or a is more prone to infection - add another copy of that city to the pile)
Add Virulent Strain effects to other diseases as they mutate
Remove player city cards (travel bans, airline closures)
Change/add the event cards
New hotspots/cities (and corresponding cards)
Cities gain an extra colour (showing they have been infected by another strain so often)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Rose
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic really isn't that far from a Legacy game already, if you choose to play it that way.

Starting with the basic game, you can always add, in small increments, all of the possible roles and event cards from On the Brink and In the Lab. Different modes can be like the larger "bin" openings in Risk Legacy as well, radically changing the game. The question really would become more of "what gets added when". I mean, you'd like players to be rewarded when they win, but at a certain point, difficulty levels (meaning more epidemics, mutation/5th disease, and virulent strain) have to have a "trigger" to add them to the campaign.

The only real problem I see is in spacing out the "rewards" and the "penalties" so that some early wins don't result in just more easy wins because the group has become more powerful (and, conversely, losses that would just make the game harder). Finding that balance is what would turn Pandemic into a better Legacy style campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Thornton
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I guess it's a semi real thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/256jrd/protospie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cai T
Netherlands
flag msg tools
That sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing.

One thing that puts me off Legacy elements is the idea that it needs to be the same group playing to gain the full value: but still I'm very interested in this Pandemic lagacy variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you like Pandemic even a little, this game is going to appeal to you. If you don't like Pandemic, the Legacy elements of this game may change your mind. Very excited for this one.

I like Pandemic a lot, but this doesn't appeal to me at all.

I don't see the point in buying a game as good as Pandemic and then only playing it X number of times with the exact same people, and having to buy it again if you want to play it more or with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan O'D
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Risk Legacy, it doesn't have to be the same group, just the same group will probably want to play it. I can't speak for Pandemic, but after you open all the packs on RL, you can still play regular Risk with you now crazy board. I totally would, except Risk is horrible, but if the same elements are in Pandemic Legacy then I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
Greenland
Thule AB, Greenland
SC, MO, or APO AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds kind of cool. I love Pandemic, so I am definitely interested in more info whenever it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Quote:
If you like Pandemic even a little, this game is going to appeal to you. If you don't like Pandemic, the Legacy elements of this game may change your mind. Very excited for this one.

I don't see the point in buying a game as good as Pandemic and then only playing it X number of times with the exact same people, and having to buy it again if you want to play it more or with others.

That's not how the Legacy-style games work. The board stops changing after X plays but the game is still playable. You can have a varying group as well, though it's less than ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Quote:

That's not how the Legacy-style games work. The board stops changing after X plays but the game is still playable. You can have a varying group as well, though it's less than ideal.

Yeah, I know, but the main unique selling point of Legacy games is the process of playing the X number of games. And you can only do that once per copy. All you have after those X plays is some Risk, or Pandemic, variant that would be better implemented in a non-permanent manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Harrison
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you had a chance to go through an full round of Legacy yet? I am not a big risk fan, and the Risk:Legacy game was amazing. I got more out of those 13 gaming experiences than i have out of any other game.

And lets be honest, most of us buy so many games, or trade games that 13x played (not an LCG or card game that you can fly through) is pretty damn good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, yes, I'd love to buy a game that I can only play once and then need to buy a new copy of to play again!

No, wait, actually that sounds completely frickin' awful.

Quote:

The whole cool part is changing the board and the ongoing campaign isn't it? That IS the game.

There's no reason you couldn't have the exact same game while making it replayable. "Legacy" is just a cash grab to get customers to buy multiple copies of the same game.

Quote:
And lets be honest, most of us buy so many games, or trade games that 13x played (not an LCG or card game that you can fly through) is pretty damn good

I've got over a hundred plays of Pandemic and expect to get more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Gosh, yes, I'd love to buy a game that I can only play once and then need to buy a new copy of to play again!

Quote:

The whole cool part is changing the board and the ongoing campaign isn't it? That IS the game.

There's no reason you couldn't have the exact same game while making it replayable. "Legacy" is just a cash grab to get customers to buy multiple copies of the same game.

Quote:

I don't think I've heard, even anecdotally, of a player who has purchased a new copy of Risk Legacy in order to replace a 'spent' copy. Closest I've heard of is someone buying two copies to play with two different groups. If it's a "cash grab" in the sense you describe, to get the same customer to buy multiple copies, I'm not sure it's working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think I've heard, even anecdotally, of a player who has purchased a new copy of Risk Legacy in order to replace a 'spent' copy. Closest I've heard of is someone buying two copies to play with two different groups. If it's a "cash grab" in the sense you describe, to get the same customer to buy multiple copies, I'm not sure it's working.
I've bought 4 copies. Three were played with the same group, and everyone loved every game of every campaign. The boards and narratives produced were quite different eaxch time. I'd argue that the game state was different to a large extent tooo. There was a marked fifference between Campaign 1 and 2, for example, because for the second game we knew what was in the packets before we opened them, so tactics changed as people did or didn't want to open them etc.

The fourth is being played with a completely new group, and it's still awesome lol.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.