Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my fellow TOs and other purveyors of odd little known rules.

Did you know... if the Runner accesses NAPD Contract from R&D and chooses not to steal it that he/she must show NAPD Contract to the Corp?

Same scenario for the Runner accessing any agenda from R&D while The Source is installed and choosing not to steal it (or any other scenario in which an agenda might have an additional cost); he/she must show the agenda to the Corp.

A friend mentioned this curiosity in the rules that I had not noticed myself and I started digging. Not finding any answers, I went ahead and submitted it as a Rules Question. Here's my question and Lukas' answer below:

In the latest FAQ (v1.4) under the Card Clarification section, the clarification for Red Herrings states:

"If the Runner accesses an agenda from R&D, but is unable or unwilling to steal it by paying the additional cost, he must show it to the Corp."

Is this specific for Red Herrings or could it also be extrapolated to other cards? For instance, if a Runner accesses NAPD Contract from R&D ("As an additional cost to steal NAPD Contract, the Runner must pay 4.") and is unable or unwilling to steal it by paying the additional cost, must he show it to the Corp?

Thanks!

Lukas Litzsinger wrote:
Matt,

Thanks for the question. Yes, that would also apply to NAPD Contract, or any similar agenda. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

***EDIT***

As of July 21st, 2014 and FAQ v1.5, this ruling has been reversed, unstolen agendas are no longer revealed when accessed from R&D.

Quote:
91 Red Herrings
• If the Runner accesses an agenda from R&D and does not
pay the additional cost to steal it, he does not reveal it to the
Corp.

Quote:
119 NAPD Contract
• If the Runner accesses NAPD Contract from R&D and does
not pay the additional cost to steal it, the NAPD Contract is
not revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Unstolen Agendas Revealed During R&D Access
I did not know this! Thanks for the heads-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I caught this awhile ago & made sure my meta was aware. Seems to be the most forgotten rule.

Hoping those at regionals are up on this. Makes a huge difference as Corp when you know there is an agenda 2 cards down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I didn't know this one. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael De Coster
Belgium
Brasschaat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unstolen Agendas are Revealed During R&D Access
Thanks for mentioning this, even though I dislike the ruling:
A) Having learned this lesson with Red Herrings, they really should have printed this on NAPD Contract itself.
B) I don't understand why this rules exception even exists in the first place, other than to make Red Herrings and NAPD Contract slightly better. The game would function just fine without forcing the runner to reveal the agendas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just need to add a rule that agendas are revealed when accessed from R&D. Normally you steal it straight away, so it's not an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
They just need to add a rule that agendas are revealed when accessed from R&D. Normally you steal it straight away, so it's not an issue.

I think the idea is that since you must steal it, you must reveal it. Only then do you fail to pay the additional cost and your steal attempt fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to dig this up from the grave, but the latest FAQ has reversed the ruling that led me to create this thread in the first place - figured I'd update it. So for everyone who learned something new from this... You can unlearn it now.

Quote:
91 Red Herrings
• If the Runner accesses an agenda from R&D and does not
pay the additional cost to steal it, he does not reveal it to the
Corp.

Quote:
119 NAPD Contract
• If the Runner accesses NAPD Contract from R&D and does
not pay the additional cost to steal it, the NAPD Contract is
not revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait so you defo show an Agenda without a steal cost (NAPD + Red Herrings)?

But you dont show the agenda if it DOES have a steal cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:

Read it again - you don't reveal in either circumstance. This is a reversal of the previous ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:

...what?

If it doesn't have a steal cost, you must steal it.

If it does have a steal cost, you may opt to not steal it and put it back (without revealing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I had to double take it a few times to check but confused myself even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leeman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Keep in mind, this would NOT apply to Fetal AI, or any new agendas that may have damage upon access. You can't quietly put those back in the deck without suffering the pain of knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadjai wrote:
Keep in mind, this would NOT apply to Fetal AI, or any new agendas that may have damage upon access. You can't quietly put those back in the deck without suffering the pain of knowledge.

That doesn't really have anything to do with additional costs to steal and everything to do with the fact that Fetal A.I. says right on it, "If Fetal A.I. is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadjai wrote:

As an additional cost to steal this agenda, lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.