Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geek-of-the-week [+] gotw [+] [View All]
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week's Geek of the Week geek is Scott Nicholson--scholar, gentleman, and video blogger/reviewer extraordinaire. His bio:

Quote:
By day, Dr. Scott Nicholson is a professor at the school of Information Studies at Syracuse University. He is a library scientist and his main research area is "bibliomining" (a term he coined), which is the combination of bibliometrics and data mining used to provide librarians with the evidence needed for better decision-making and justification of their services.

By night, Scott is the producer-editor-host of Board Games with Scott, a bi-weekly Internet video show where he explores a different game in each show. He also is the co-designer of "Call of Cthulhu Live, 1st Edition". Gaming has been his primary hobby all of his life, starting with board games as a child, moving through RPGs, LARPs, CCGs, and now back to Board Games. He also plays electronic games in various forms.

His other hobbies include playing the saxophone, kayaking, and throwing pottery.

Three library/blogger types in a row, in three different flavors...

Let me just (be the first to) say that I find the video explorations to be a wonderful resource when I'm trying to decide if I'm interested in a game. They give a great picture of how the game works and moves.

Scott also starts us off with his Two Truths and a Lie:

Quote:
1. I have a small speaking part in a motion picture that you can now find in most video stores. I grew up on a large horse ranch and farm in Oklahoma and was a farm boy, and they filmed a scene out on the farm.

2. One of my published journal articles was copied and published in two different journals by a full professor of computer science under his name with no acknowledgement or credit for me.

3. In downtown Oklahoma City, I wedged a baritone saxophone in a revolving door of a bank such that the neither the door, the saxophone, nor I could easily move.

Scott won't be back on BGG until later tonight, so get those questions started...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott -- you're a gaming exemplar! Glad to see you get your turn at GotW... Well deserved.

A few questions:

What made you decide to go the video route over just blogs or podcasts for your game insights?

How much planning, time and effort goes into each video review? And how much ends up on the cutting room floor?

If you could see a video review of any game, done by any one of your fellow BGGeeks, what would the game be, and which geek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Avatar source: Revolt in the East
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott

A sampling of soft-ball questions to get you started:

- Left handed or right handed?

- Mac or PC (or Linux)?

- Always bearded or off and on?

- How many game plays do you average a week?

- Does your preference lean toward highly interactive or deep thought games?

- For game days where you're introducing a new game, how much prep time do you put in prior to the get together?

- What is your game churn rate (buy/sell turnover per year) as a specific ball-park number or percentage?

- Do you play on-line games (such as BSW) frequently, infrequently, never?

- You're going on a business trip; what games, if any, do you pack?

- What's the right amount of time to play a game?

- What makes a game fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido von TricTrac
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Scotts vlog and am looking forward to each new episode.
- Scott, what would your perfect-10-game be like? Generally spoken, what themes/mechanics do you like most? What should a game offer to you to be top-rated?
- How did you get the idea of vlogging about boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:

What made you decide to go the video route over just blogs or podcasts for your game insights?

In my job as a professor, I teach a number of courses over the Internet. I've found that making videos brings life into the material that isn't there in any other format. I wanted to develop my skills with video production and editing, and I know that such skills only grow through regular practice. So, I decided to start making board game videos as a way to learn more and get better at video production.

ynnen wrote:

How much planning, time and effort goes into each video review? And how much ends up on the cutting room floor?

Planning time - Very little. Some times, when I go down to film, I don't even know what game I'm going to cover. This does show up in that I'm not always consistent in what I present about a game.

Filming time - I try to film everything straight through, and if I make mistakes, I pause and just pick up from there. It takes a lot more time to set up all of the board scenes and the cut scenes where I show pieces. Setting up the sample turn in Die Macher took a long time, as I had to plan out what would happen during the turn; most of the time, when I do an example, I just wing it. In my own shows, only about 10-20% of the content doesn't make it in, simply becuase I'm the editor and producer, so I only film that which I intend to put it. When I work with guests, I end up dropping much more, simply becuase I try to get a lot of footage to work from.

Editing time - This is the hard part. It took me about 10 hours to edit my first 10-minute show; it's now down to about 1-2 hours per 10 minutes. That's gotten better, but it's still very time-consuming to edit each show. It also seems like it's a never-ending process, as there's always something more that can be tweaked or improved. I'm putting out a DVD to raise money toward a better camera; my current camera is older and doesn't have a microphone jack. This means that I have to manually sync video and audio for every scene, and this is quite time-consuming.

Rendering and distribution - It takes about 8 hours to render and upload all the various formats. Now, this isn't time I have to spend working constantly, but it's a lot of starting processes and programs.

ynnen wrote:

If you could see a video review of any game, done by any one of your fellow BGGeeks, what would the game be, and which geek?

I enjoy watching someone who is passionate about something, so no matter what the game was, it would need to be someone with passion.

One game that continues to vex me is Polarity. I have it, but I just can't "get" it beyond very simple leaning. It seems that every attempt I make ends up snapping the target to my piece. I've tried "easing" it in, which will allow me to get one balanced, but I can't figure out how to do this thing where you pass a piece over quickly to make other pieces fall. I think if I could see some of it, it might help me figure out how you are supposed to manipulate the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
Congrats Scott

A sampling of soft-ball questions to get you started:

Quote:
- Left handed or right handed?

Right-handed.

Quote:
- Mac or PC (or Linux)?

PC. Even though I have a Powerbook, and that what I do BGWS on, and I got that machine fully intending to switch, there's too many problems I have with the Mac that I'm not compentent enough to solve easily. So, it's now used for video production (and a little World of Warcraft).

Quote:
- Always bearded or off and on?

Always beareded. I shaved once after growing it, and never again...

Quote:
- How many game plays do you average a week?

It's easier to talk about time, as I mix up short and long games. I usually get in about 5 hours of boardgaming during the week, and once a month or so, I'll get in a longer weekend event or game for 8ish hours. I spend another 10ish hours on video/computer games spread throughout the week.

Quote:
- Does your preference lean toward highly interactive or deep thought games?

I prefer more interactive and social experiences. I don't mind a deep thought game occasionally, but I get tired of them quickly (becuase I think deeply for a living)! Caylus, for example, is a game that requires more thought than I wish to dedicate to a game; I prefer games with shorter spurts of thinking and planning, and then time spent in execution with breaks between thinking. I like the balance of thinking/planning/executing in Puerto Rico or an 18xx game.

Part of this is that gaming, for me, is a social experience. If there are times of up and down thinking in a game, that also leaves time to be social and chat during the game. I like to get to know people at the table, so I tend to ask questions of people at events where I'm gaming with new folks.

Quote:
- For game days where you're introducing a new game, how much prep time do you put in prior to the get together?

Quite a bit, usually. I'll physically prepare the game, doing all the punching and major sorting. I'll read the rules slowly twice through, usually, and then check BGG to see if there are any player aids that seem useful. My big gaming night is Tuesday nights with the Syracuse Boardgames, and Monday night, I'll bring up any new games I want to bring and spend the evening going through them while watching TV.

Quote:
- What is your game churn rate (buy/sell turnover per year) as a specific ball-park number or percentage?

Before I had a basement, it was much higher.

Now, I tend to keep more than I used to. Of games I buy, I sell less than 10%. That will change now that I'm getting copies of games from publisher to consider reviewing; I'll be getting rid of a much higher percentage of those as gifts or prizes.

Quote:
- Do you play on-line games (such as BSW) frequently, infrequently, never?

Before I had a regular group, I played quite a bit on BSW. Now with a weekly group, I don't need to do that. I usually have one or two play-by-e-mail games going with friends. I spend more time with World of Warcraft online than board games online.

Quote:
- You're going on a business trip; what games, if any, do you pack?

The only time I would take games is if I knew I was meeting up with people who wanted to play games but who didn't have a collection. I'd much rather play games that are new to me, and so if I don't take any games, then the chance of that happening is higher.

Quote:
- What's the right amount of time to play a game?

It all depends upon the weight of the game. I'm very senstive to a game taking the "appropriate" amount of time. I played a protype recently that was a lot of fun for a 45 minute game - too bad it took over 3 hours to play. So, 20 minutes for Diamant is great, but so is 3 hours for Indonesia or 5 hours for Die Macher.

When I find myself getting bored with the game, it's taking too long. I also feel that the amount of control and luck invovled should correspond to the time it takes; I don't like games that take a long time but also are so luck-driven that you can't really control what you are doing.

Quote:
- What makes a game fun?

The people I'm playing the game with.

If I really enjoy socializing with the people, then even Killer Bunnies can be fun. One of my absolute favorite game experiences was a 3-hour game of Auf Acshe (a simple pick-up-and-deliver truck driving game) with fantastic people; we laughed until we hurt. It was nice to not play an overly serious game, as we could have fun with it.

Ignoring the people and looking only at the game, I've got a wide variety of what I find fun.

For "serious" games, I prefer planning and strategy to heavy tactical games; a game where I plan and puzzle out some ideas, and then put them in play and watch my "machine" run is pleasing to me. A game requiring constant management and tactics wears me out quickly.

For "silly" games, I enjoy things that allow you to get to know each other, create laughable situations, or tell a great story. These games are much more about the people than the game.

I also have spent much of my life playing role-playing games, so I've got a penchant for RPG-style board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
Mode: Nippon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott!

I always see your week video review and I'm always anxious waiting for the next one.

I'm interested to know how do you pick your games to review. I mean do you review your favorite games? What's your criteria?

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats scott, i too appreciate the video reviews.

How did you get into the hobby and if u were only able to play one game for the next year...which game would u pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,
Congrats on your "Geek of the Week" honor. This question may tie in with Jeremy's, but I'll ask anyway. In a geeklist earlier in the year about flaws in games(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12921) you mentioned a possible published variant for Castle of Magic. A "simultaneous selection of locations/ free move concept" to replace the roll and move mechanic the game now uses. Is there any news on that front? Can you share this variant with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

As an Oracle hax0r, I'm interested in your bibliomining work. How do you structure the information? Does your system mirror Project Gutenberg?

And with all this bibliomining and gaming, is there any time left for, uh, bear stuff? You know, fundraising calendars and suchlike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:

Ok.. I have one question.. if you could re-design any game that you've played.. what game would you select.. and what would you change about the game?

Tying this into a question asked by Chris Bernardi, Castle of Magic is the game that I'd like to see redone. I love the LARP-ish aspect of the game, but it's trapped behind an outdated roll-and-move system.

Donald Dennis (formerly of ICE, now of Second Rat Games) and I have worked on this. He's now doing artwork for a new board which we will test further. I'm not sure when something will happen with it, but it's not a dead project. We still have to figure out how we want to do licensing with the company who made Castle of Masic, so I'm not willing to release more details about it now.

Soledade wrote:

I'm interested to know how do you pick your games to review. I mean do you review your favorite games? What's your criteria?

Well, I try to vary the type of game that I talk about each episode. So, I keep in my head what I've recently done and try to do some other type of game. Sometimes, I'll do a new game that people are interested in. Other times, I pick one of my favorites. I always try to pick games that I'm passionate about and games that I know well enough to talk about.

No matter what, there are two things I always consider. First, I'm not going to do a negative video review, as one of my goals is to raise public awareness of these games, and a review of me grousing about a game isn't going to do it. Second, I need to be able to explain the game. I enjoy Puerto Rico, but I can't figure out how to explain it in a brief period; there's so much you experience in that first game.

darlok wrote:

How did you get into the hobby and if u were only able to play one game for the next year...which game would u pick.

I have always liked board games. Even as a kid, I would ask for boardgames for my holidays (even though I didn't have anyone to play them with). It's my oldest hobby.

One game? You are a cruel, cruel man. I am very much into playing a variety of games and couldn't think of just playing one.

But if I had to pick one, it would be Go. I've played enough Go to know how deep the game really is (and how little I know). I'd request one thing, and that is someone who is at my level, as the big problem with Go is that it's difficult to have a good game with someone who is better or worse than you.

sbszine wrote:

As an Oracle hax0r, I'm interested in your bibliomining work. How do you structure the information? Does your system mirror Project Gutenberg? And with all this bibliomining and gaming, is there any time left for, uh, bear stuff? You know, fundraising calendars and suchlike?

At this point, the model is more of a management information system. So, we collect basic demographics about a user and aspects of the work and information about when it was circulated/used, and my goal is to find patterns between these aspects. So, were I to work with Project Gutenberg, my work would focus on what works people are using, what type of people are looking at what works, and what we might be able to say about who is not using Project Gutenberg and what types of works the Project should find more of.

As far as time for other activities, work, gaming and the other hobbies fill up my time. The rest of my "lifestyle" consists primarily of sitting in the living room with my other half watching TV and working on a laptop. Crazy, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schreyer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott!
You certainly deserve this honour in my books. I found your podcast many many months back over on Chris Glass' Livejournal (http://chrisglass.livejournal.com/). I've found it extremely informative, insightful, and approachable. Not only has it made me rediscover how much fun board games are (The only gaming I've been doing in the past years is videogaming), it also lead me to this site!

My question for you (since everyone seems to be asking questions) is how would you get your partner into gaming? Any time I bring up the subject of trying out Settlers of Catan he just looks at me with horror in his eyes. I've suckered him into playing Carcassonne and he quite likes it, but he balks at Catan (I picked up the card game in the hopes he'll try that out). Gaming's become quite a part of my life and would really like to see him get as hooked as I am. Heck I'd like to see the rest of my friends get as hooked so I have people to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trachalio wrote:

My question for you (since everyone seems to be asking questions) is how would you get your partner into gaming?

I've been the most successful when I focus on games that feature activities that my partner enjoys. Garden Competition, for example, was a big hit (even though it's a medium-weight strategy game). Anything dealing with books or antiquities is bound (pun intended) to at least be tried. Pretty games like Mah Jong and Crokinole have been well-received. Focus on theme first and mechanics second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

congrats on your GOTW honors. I would like to echo the words of praise you're getting about your video blog. I'm trying to get through the Die Macher one right now.

I have another question for you. If you could have any OOP game reprinted, which one would it be?

Another question: What's your favorite theme in gaming? Is there a theme that piques your interest whenever you see it on a box? Do you disregard theme entirely and just go on reccomendations from other gamers and what BGG says about the game itself?

And finally...what game have you really wanted to play badly, but haven't yet?

Congrats again! Thanks for your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schreyer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

My question for you (since everyone seems to be asking questions) is how would you get your partner into gaming?

I've been the most successful when I focus on games that feature activities that my partner enjoys.

Yeah, I've had success that way with him with video games (he's quite apathetic about a lot of things). When I presented him with Guitar Hero he poo poo'd it as a game that he would "never ever try". One week later he was completely hooked and bragging about how he finally beat "Bark At the Moon" on Expert Setting.

Now, how to convince him that Catan is something he'd really like... *ponders*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:

I have another question for you. If you could have any OOP game reprinted, which one would it be?

Well, if the question is "Updated and Republished", it would be Tales of the Arabian Nights. I have the original one, and would love to see that one updated with modern mechanics. It's just a fun game (and cries out to my little thespianr inside).

As far as "Game that I would like to get", I thought about my shopping list for the Essen used vendors, and #1 on my list is Flower Power. Since Garden Competition was a hit, I hope this one might be as well.

Part of what tempers this is that I've pursued OOP games that I wanted, thinking that better now than later. I've bought most of the holy grail games over time or tried them and didn't find them to my liking.

unixrevolution wrote:

Another question: What's your favorite theme in gaming? Is there a theme that piques your interest whenever you see it on a box? Do you disregard theme entirely and just go on reccomendations from other gamers and what BGG says about the game itself?

New Games in general fall into this category. Themes that will appeal to me are non-trivia games about Music, Libraries & Books, anything "gimmicky" (like Omega Virus or Nightmare), and anything I think the spouse might enjoy. I've always had a penchant for the Steampunk/Castle Falkenstein/Victoriana stuff; I was really disappointed that I didn't like Red Planet better as it's one of my favorite genres.

I'm not a history or geography buff, so anything along those lines is lost on me.

If it looks like a "wargame" (meant in every stereotypical way), I'll probably put it right back.

unixrevolution wrote:

And finally...what game have you really wanted to play badly, but haven't yet?

I've just dipped my toe into the 18XX world, so there are many of those I'd like to try to figure out what I like and don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hieken wrote:
I like Scotts vlog and am looking forward to each new episode.
- Scott, what would your perfect-10-game be like? Generally spoken, what themes/mechanics do you like most? What should a game offer to you to be top-rated?

Variety. I am not someone who likes to play the same game again and again to master it. When I play Puerto Rico, for example, I still like to try new building combinations just to see how they work. I don't care if I win - I like to "play with the toy". I used to have PR at a 10, but took it down becuase of the number of players out there who now know it so well that they can't stand allowing other people to "play with the toy" because it messes with their game. (and yes, I understand how it does mess with your game when you are trying to predict what I'm going to do).

I had a very bad experience with some players like this once, and it really soured me on PR for a while.

I really like how Age of Steam rolls out the expansions. I'm impressed with games with a reasonably simple underlying system that has variety added through maps and things like that. I enjoyed Cosmic Encounters for the same thing.

For me, my favorite game is one I haven't tried yet.

Quote:
- How did you get the idea of vlogging about boardgames?

It started with my two visits on the local PBS live news show where I did segments about boardgames (http://scottnicholson.com/games/hourcny.html). After the second one, I got to thinking about how well that went over. Part of me wanted to get better at videos.

I was also a regular listener to GeekSpeak/BoardGameSpeak, The Dice Tower, and Boardgames To Go, and Mark talked about people "just making something". So, I figured I would.

I also watched The Board Room back when it was on and enjoyed that.

So, all of it came together into the idea of "trying this out over Holiday Break", and so Board Games with Scott was born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best game you have ever played? Why is it the best in your opinion?

JP LaChance
Madison, WI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Weller
United Kingdom
London
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just to say, I have just discovered your videocasts and they are a blast. Keep em coming Scott.
Congrats on this honour too!

Question: do you have a favourite Avalon Hill Game?

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott. A pleasure to meet you at The Gathering, even if very briefly! Congrats on the GotW, and thanks for all your effort in supporting the hobby.

Do you see vidcasts becoming the norm for game review and presentation, or do you think that audio and good old fashined text will retain a place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grats Scott! I can't think of someone that deserves it more than you. I have few questions to ask you.

1. "BGWS" Is very succesful at least in BGG and many people watch and enjoy the show, how did you come up of the idea? What are the future plans for "BGWS"? Do you know how many shows you'll do? How do you pick what games will be in the next show?
2. It seems that like many geeks you like euro games. What do you think makes a euro game good? What do you like to see in euro games?
3. When do you play boardgames? Do you have a playing group?

Cheers,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmb
Hey, congrats, Scott!

I just had the pleasure of meeting and gaming with Scott this past weekend at Dexcon.

What did you play, other then Antike, at the con?

June
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Not really any question here - just a 'thanks so much' and a 'job well done' for your efforts with your video reviews. They're just awesome, extremely informative, and very useful.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Congrats on your well-deserved honor. I just watched my first BGWS last night and was entranced by your obvious enthusiasm for the hobby. You are to be lauded for being an outspoken advocate of playing boardgames.

Which leads me to my questions. In a previous post you stated your long-time interest in both boardgames and RPGs. I share both hobbies, and have had to deal with the stereotypical perspective of "nerdy" or "geeky" when some people learn of my hobbies. Not that they are mean about it, they just don't want to be associated with something that "mainstream" society considers "nerdy". Do your students know about your boardgame hobby? If yes, do you sense any of this perspective in your students, or are they more open to learning about these new games? How do you handle this perspective when it comes up in conversation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
custom golf clubs wrote:
What is the best game you have ever played? Why is it the best in your opinion?

It's tough to say, as "best game" with "bad people" equals "bad game experience." The best game experience would be that game of Auf Asche I discussed earlier that I played at a house con.

The Euro I like and still like the best is Puerto Rico, but I don't like to play with people who are overly serious to the point of critizing my moves. I compare this to Bridge. I like to play "fun Bridge," and if you are a Bridge player, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For everyone to enjoy Bridge, everyone either needs to be willing to play Fun Bridge or Serious Bridge. PR is the same way, but folks haven't conceptualized it that way yet. It's becuase of this that a lot of people get turned off of the game becuase they play with a Serious PR player who gets upset.

Why? I like the combination of planning and versatility. I still enjoy trying different combinations of things just to see how it plays out. Once you have a plan, you can just let the plan run out, so it's not a constant brain-drain game.

DeanCornel wrote:

Question: do you have a favourite Avalon Hill Game?

Easy - Acquire. I really like Acquire with people who are willing to play with closed holdings and who don't care enough to try and count where every stock went. The excitement of "do I have majority" is a fun thing for me.

Note a pattern here? The people matter more than the game. Matching the game to the attitude of the people is essential to a fun game experience. At any gaming event, I see my role as facilitator, matching people to games and helping everyone to have a good experience, even if it means I don't win the game. This means that I do sometimes make choices and moves in games that are not optimal for points but will allow someone else to pull off something neat they are planning or to give them some footing in the game or something like that. I'm there to Have Fun, and it is not Fun for me to create a miserable experience for others.

I realize for many out there that this is sacrilege - I should qualify this statement with that it really depends upon the people I'm playing with. Some members in my group always want a drag-out throw-down fight, and with them, I let loose. But I don't start out that way with anyone; I wait until I figure out what they are seeking in a game, and then adjust my play style accordingly.

Winning a game lasts for a moment. Bad feelings last much longer. Board games are social experiences, and I have "won" the game if I had fun with the game. I could care less about a final point tally in games - by that point, I already know if I "won".

freezing chicken wrote:

1. "BGWS" Is very succesful at least in BGG and many people watch and enjoy the show, how did you come up of the idea? What are the future plans for "BGWS"? Do you know how many shows you'll do? How do you pick what games will be in the next show?

The idea really came out of what was going on - podcasting, videos, and my TV appearance all led me to think I could be pretty good at doing something like this. The podcasting style of the "Talk Show" wasn't what I wanted to do, and being on the local TV stations helped cement what I would be good at - teaching and PR.

The Future of BGWS? I'm going to experiment with DVDs and see how those go. I'll continue doing the show as long as I'm having fun. When I stop having fun, then I'll stop doing it.

Quote:
2. It seems that like many geeks you like euro games. What do you think makes a euro game good? What do you like to see in euro games?

As I mentioned earlier, I like variety. I don't like games that feel the same way every time with small differences; they get old to me quickly. I like to have a board at the end and say "Hey, look what we did!" I like social mechanisms, and I like games with "brain breaks" so that you can relax and chat during parts of the game. I prefer games with phases of planning and execution as compared to games focused only on tactical decisions every turn.

Quote:

3. When do you play boardgames? Do you have a playing group?

The Syracuse Boardgamers meets at the How you Play The Game game show every Tuesday from 5-10. I also have groups of friends I'll meet up with once a month or so in the evening, and on a Saturday once a month, we'll meet up for a Big Game.

sumo wrote:
Do you see vidcasts becoming the norm for game review and presentation, or do you think that audio and good old fashined text will retain a place?

This is a great question, Mike, and one that I will save for its very own discussion. I have an idea... so stay tuned.

Ludocrazy wrote:
I just had the pleasure of meeting and gaming with Scott this past weekend at Dexcon. What did you play, other then Antike, at the con?

Greetings!

Boardgame-wise, I played Imaginiff, Antike, Mykerinos, Manilla, Plunder, Tsuro, Puerto Rico, and three demos/prototypes - Easter Island, Explore! and the subtely-named Oh My God, There's an Axe in my Head. I also participated in three LARPS where I played a line cook wanting a better life for his daughter, Beast from Beauty and the Beast, and Quisp from the breakfast cereal of the same name.

mvettemagred wrote:

Do your students know about your boardgame hobby? If yes, do you sense any of this perspective in your students, or are they more open to learning about these new games? How do you handle this perspective when it comes up in conversation?

I offer to take students to board game night and run nights for students, so yes, they know about my hobby. In my life, I've had to deal with the fact that there are aspects of my life that people won't like. Gaming is one of them. Part of what this has done is helped me to develop the very healthy "If you don't like me, tough stuff" attitude that turns into self-confidence. I've decided that life is too short to worry too much about what other people think of me, so only when it matters (like for a career) do I work on that. In other ways, why bother? You can't control what others think - they will think what they want to think. So, just be yourself and let the world deal with you.

(note - 10 years ago, I would have given a very different answer to this question)

By the way, some people might feel that this statement is in conflict with the statements I made earlier. But remember - it is more important to me that everyone enjoy the game experience than it is that I win. So, that's who I am, and I know this will make some of you feel I have less credibility as a "gamer" becuase I will throw a game to ensure people have a good time (assuming they aren't people who want me to come after them without mercy).

And ya know what?

I don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.