United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Stop Mousing over me! :P
badge
Other movies available :P
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a drive by Message of "Kudos" for Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I'm loving a lot of your answers. It seems great minds think alike.

Just wanted to also leave a comment of general praise, then be a smartass.

I had no idea the standard uniform for a speederbike pilot was now a kilt, white shirt, white socks and sandals.

Keep up the amazing work with BGWS! And if you're ever near Waldorf, MD drop by, we'll do lunch and some games!

Another question for you, completely off topic: What's your favorite car? (as a car geek i like to ask this.)

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aristides mytaras
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mb
congrats, cheers and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:

What games did you like as a child?

Here are some of the games I remember having and really liking to play while living at home:
- Pente and another game put by the same group (before it got picked up by Parker Brothers) that had to do with connecting triangle tubular pieces across the board.

- Games with gadgets like Exit and one with a slowly spinning tower with a pattern that you had to match on your own set of blocks on a board.

- Party games like Pictionary and Trivial Pursuit

As I found more specialty shops in college, I played quite a bit of:
Cosmic Encounters, Talisman (2nd edition with all the boards), Grass, Dungeonquest, Heroquest & Advanced Heroquest, Chill, Chaos Marauders Nuclear War, Wizwar, and Illuminati. In fact, Talisman was so popular in the dorm full of Honors students where I lived that the running joke was that you just had to shake a Talisman box and people would come running.

Also during this time, I played a lot of video games. I loved going to the arcades to play video games and pinball machines. I still have a penchant for pinball, but there are not many machines in Syracuse.

I had an Atari 2600 as a kid and loved to play that - I recall Pitfall 2 as being one of my favorites. I also had a TRS-80 Color Computer Model I (the big grey one) where I programmed Logo and played text adventures.

Later on, I got the NES and spent too many hours on Mario Brothers, Punch Out, and The Legend of Zelda. I also got a Commodore 128 and fell in love with M.U.L.E., Archon, and the LucasArts adventures. Later on in college, I traded up to an Amiga 1000 before finally moving into the PC world. I still play video games both on the computer and the consoles, although of the nextgen consoles, the only one I'm really excited about is the Nintendo Wii.

I also played roleplaying games. In high school, I found some people playing Dungeons and Dragons. In college, I got involved with Warhammer Fantasy, Call of Cthulhu and Earthdawn. But my primary gaming timesink in college was IFGS, which is a foam-weapon based fantasy LARP. We would go out into the woods and have day-long adventures. I ended up writing many of these adventures and running groups through as a GM, and I enjoyed doing this much more than playing. It was writing I did for this group to create a non-weapon based combate system that got me noted by Chaosium, which led to my co-authorship of Call of Cthulhu live, 1st edition.

Quote:
Is there's something in the history of board games you think everyone should know, and if so, what would it be?

Yes - Everyone should know that Games Workshop used to put out an enjoyable line of board games in the 1980s, but it was dropped to focus on the money-making Warhammer machines. I wish they would return to board games, as I tended to enjoy what they did and they've certainly got the capital to support a line.

Quote:
What visions do you have for the future of board gaming?

I'll go with the future of what I would like to see -

I would like to see more crossover between board and video games that takes advantage of each. We saw 20 years ago with MULE that such games are possible. The exploration of technology-in-a-board with games like King Arther really interests me. I've also liked the Mario Party games, but those are focused too heavily on the video game and not much on the board game.

I still like the social experience of getting together, but would be fine with us all sitting at the same table with latops, each seeing a different view of the game through our screen. As a side note, we've actually done this with BSW, and it allowed us to play games in half the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thesama wrote:
Scott, your viedo on Mahjong was the reaosn I bought a set ( a musty old bone & bamboo one that I absolutley adore ). Why did you make me do that? The untold hours of fun! And it's all your fault!

If everyone else spends all their money on games, then it makes my professor's salary worth that much more! Bwahahahaha!

thesama wrote:

The one thing I respect about your vlogs are the depth of the presentation and the bulk of objective material. Indeed the amount of opinion you inject into your reviews is usually in the neighborhood of 60-120 seconds of speaking.

When it comes to the job of the reviewer which do you believe is more important the overview or the opinion? What are your opinions on the line between a Game Reviewer and a Game Critic? Is there one at all? Which do you feel is of greater value to the community, or are both equally important?

That's an interesting question. I think the distinction you make between Game Reviewer and Game Critic is an excellent one and helps me to better think of what my role is.

The term I've taken to use recently is Exploring (as compared to Reviewing). I see myself as taking the role of a tour guide through the game and inserting the occasional side comment. I treat my shows more like a Travel show or a Cooking show, with a focus on what you do and what you can experience. If you think about the amount of "review" done in these shows, it's very small - the focus is on the process.

Also, if you think of these shows, they don't talk about Bad places to travel or Bad things to cook; they don't get to the end of a segment, taste the food, and then talk about how bad it tastes. I use a similar model for my show and only foucs on things that I am personally enthused about.

As I've mentioned a few times here, the "game experience" is as much about the people you are playing with and the match of game to people as it is to the game itself. Therefore, I don't believe that a Game Critic's view with no background about the person is as useful in making decisions about the game as a critic might be in another genre like books or film. There are basic thing like rules clarity, components, and how the pieces fit together that someone can discuss, but when it comes down to the question - "Is this going to be a good game for MY group of players?" - that's something that only you can answer.

Now, one approach that can work is to find people who like the same games your group likes and then look to their advice. But without this context, it's difficult to know how applicable a review is to your group. Therefore, it's key that those who are game critics provide enough background about what else works and doesn't work in their group to give the readers the context needed to make a decision.

This is actually what happens when people are serious about music and music critics. They learn what types of things that critic likes and then can decide to take or ignore the advice of the critic.

Here on the geek, that's easy to do if someone has rated some games - you can read a review, and then check to see how their ratings match with yours.

One suggestion I would make to anyone writing critical reviews is to present your review from a the viewpoint of "this is how it worked for _our_ group, and this is what didn't work for _us_," as compared to saying "this is broken."

I will end this by saying that this is My Opinion about subjective critical reviews. I know there are those who disagree and feel we need more critical reviews. I do feel there's a level of objective critical reviews that we haven't unlocked yet, where you get into the science and math behind the game to talk about if a game is fair for all players and balanced based purely on the mechanics, but few people are ready to spend the time on a game to analyze it at that level. That would be a type of cricial review I would appreciate - a focus on the game without players to determine if the ruleset, cards, and battleground are fair and balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jvalj wrote:
My question is this: have you noticed an evolution in your philosophy, preferences, and goals with respect to your gaming hobby (and/or life in general if you wish to comment on that)? If so, what do you think influences these changes?

Many of my changes have come with me moving from a "job" into a "career" that I love. Until becoming a professor, everything I did was a "job" that I did to support everything else I did. But I love the career of being a professor, and that now takes priority in my life. I enjoy what I do, and while gaming is fun, it doesn't give me the satisfaction of helping someone else to realize their dream and move from their current life situation onto a new life path.

So, I've become much more sensitive to the time vs. enjoyment ratio of a game. I think about this much more than I ever did, and a game that takes longer than is enjoyable for me will not be played often.

Oddly enough, I've also gained much more tolerance for longer boardgames. I used to hate anything over 2 hours (but yet would play a roleplaying game for 8 hours). I think that went along with the type of games I was playing.

Now, I find that I do enjoy a game that allows for a more richer development and exploration and have no problem playing a 5 hour game if I am enjoying the experience. Part of that is I prefer games that are broken into different types of experiences and stages; a game where you do the same type of thing for most of it gets tiring to me quickly.

The other change along these lines is the money I can spend on games. With a "career" comes more money, so the cost of the game is no longer as much a deciding factor, and a cheap game is no bargain if it takes more time than gives enjoyment. I didn't mind paying $40 for Diamant becuase it's a 20-minute experience that I really enjoy.

Also, since I "think" for a living, I'm not as thrilled about games that have me "think" all of the time. Go is a great game, but requires constant thinking and processing, so I shy away from it. Games which rely heavily on constant tactical decisions are no longer as enjoyable for me as a break from my real life.

That said, I also don't like games that appear to require strategic and tactical work, but in reality, are based so heavily on luck that it's not worth the time to plan. I really didn't enjoy Thurn and Taxis the first time I played it, as I would try to plan out moves when it wasn't my turn only to have the cards swept away. After that, I put it in a different mental category where I don't worry as much about it and make do with the card choices I have, and enjoy it much more. I do enjoy some games that are heavily luck-based as long it's clear from the start that that's what the game is (and as long as they are very short).

I'm finding that, in general, I've become more picky about what I do enjoy. I don't hunt down every new game that's out, and I see that path continuing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I had no idea the standard uniform for a speederbike pilot was now a kilt, white shirt, white socks and sandals.

Well, obviously, I was in diguise! I needed to blend with the other tourists at Disneyworld. The kilt thing was a miscommunication from HQ. But then things got ugly, so I had to hop on my speederbike to get away.

By the way, those speederbikes get REALLY hot out there in the Orlando sun. Trust me on that. Park yours in the shade.

Quote:
Another question for you, completely off topic: What's your favorite car?

The one that gets me where I'm going and doesn't break down! Actually, I'm driving a Subaru Forester now, and that is what I will look at again when I sell this car. The Honda Element is interesting to me, especially if my Bike and Kayak would fit inside; that would make it a lot easier to haul that stuff around.

The one non-practical car I've always admired is the Plymouth Prowler. Something about that purple car appealed to me. I can't imagine it would be too good in the Syracuse winters, though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, since I "think" for a living, I'm not as thrilled about games that have me "think" all of the time. Go is a great game, but requires constant thinking and processing, so I shy away from it.

This is not intended to sound like a "gotcha" here, but wasn't Go your desert island game? It suprised me at the time, as most of your discussion had heavily emphasized social interactions. Two-player games of perfect information like Go or Chess are pretty barren ground for socializing, if either player prefers to concentrate on the game.

So, if you were allowed two games on a desert island (and suitable players) which would the other one be?

I'd discovered your vlog a few weeks ago. I've downloaded several of the older episodes. They all been informative and entertaining - your review of Friedrich convinced me to buy.

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get some kind of cosmic brownie points for wearing a kilt to disneyworld--I am in awe. How do you like your kilt? I ask because yesterday one of the campus maintenance guys was wearing one.

Also, if it hasn't been asked--are there any intersections between gaming and your teaching? And did we ever find out the title of the plagiarized paper? (if that was a truth, which I suspect it is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dr. Scott.
Dr. Scott is my wife's hero, so much so that she makes me wear a beard and dress in kilts (though my legs can't compare to his). With the adoration out of the way;

How does it feel to be the originator of "preferred target status"? And would you like the job back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
This is not intended to sound like a "gotcha" here, but wasn't Go your desert island game? It suprised me at the time, as most of your discussion had heavily emphasized social interactions. So, if you were allowed two games on a desert island (and suitable players) which would the other one be?

I thought about that for a while, and needed to come up with a game that I thought would last me for a _very_ long time. Many of the games that I enjoy are ones that I couldn't see enjoying if I played them again and again and again with nothing else to play. Go is the only game that I've dipped my toe in and realized just how absolutely deep it is, so if I was forced to play just one game for a year, it would be that one. I think it would hold up to a year of play and still offer interesting explorations.

(and there are other ways to socialize other than a game!)

So, most games that I have are great to play every few months, but wouldn't hold up to a year of constant play.

The other games I thought about were:
- one of the 18xx titles, but I feel that if you played a single 18xx title many times, you might "figure it out" and get fairly bored with it.
- Indonesia, as the city placement and limited moves on the R&D track makes a game that feels very different each time I play.
- Deck of Cards, but that's a cheesy answer.
- Antiquity, as the wide variety of buildings makes this game feel different each time.
- Die Macher, but the procedural nature might get old quickly.

Modern Art is a game with a very subtle bidding mechanism and would probably mature very well, as would Medici. I think it would be one of those two, and between them, I'd give a slight nod to Medici due to the fact that cards are worth different amounts to different players. (although I really like the Modern Art bidding where the auctioneer gets the money; that adds a level of interest to the game that makes it tough to puzzle through).

craniac wrote:
How do you like your kilt?

Kilts are wonderfully comfortable to wear; I really enjoy the freedom of wearing one. You do have to learn how to smooth it down properly before sitting and take care when you get out of cars.

And, should you be so inclined, it gets a lot of comments from "the ladies."

Quote:
Also, if it hasn't been asked--are there any intersections between gaming and your teaching?

I've used a few games in the classroom for teaching, but nothing has really stuck. I did use a library management simulation game once that worked well, and I'll do that again. I more use a gaming way of thinking when I approach lessons and assignments to make things more interactive and interesting.

Quote:
And did we ever find out the title of the plagiarized paper? (if that was a truth, which I suspect it is)

Well, now, that would be spoiling the fun!

But, you could take a look at this article, which appeared in the Khaleej Times online, to learn more about statement #2...

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data...=

(as an aside, I never talked to the folks at this paper and certainly didn't say the quote attributed to me; that doesn't even sound like me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I more use a gaming way of thinking when I approach lessons and assignments to make things more interactive and interesting.

Ooooh, I would love to hear more about this at some later date if/when you have the time and means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
Scott, I'm loving a lot of your answers. It seems great minds think alike.

Just wanted to also leave a comment of general praise, then be a smartass.

Keep up the amazing work with BGWS! And if you're ever near Waldorf, MD drop by, we'll do lunch and some games!

Another question for you, completely off topic: What's your favorite car? (as a car geek i like to ask this.)

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions!

Scott, I hope you take this as the compliment it is meant. That is perhaps the geekiest picture I have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott wrote:
Later on, I got the NES and spent too many hours on Mario Brothers, Punch Out, and The Legend of Zelda. I also got a Commodore 128 and fell in love with M.U.L.E., Archon, and the LucasArts adventures. Later on in college, I traded up to an Amiga 1000 before finally moving into the PC world. I still play video games both on the computer and the consoles, although of the nextgen consoles, the only one I'm really excited about is the Nintendo Wii.

you're my hero! I loved M.U.L.E.! Assess! Assess! Assess!

Scott wrote:
I still like the social experience of getting together, but would be fine with us all sitting at the same table with latops, each seeing a different view of the game through our screen. As a side note, we've actually done this with BSW, and it allowed us to play games in half the time.

With the wonders of Skype, I now will pop open a beer and game while talking to people on BSW... it suddenly brings back the social aspect which is something I love about gaming.

You're a great guy! Thanks for your answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
SkunkyBeer wrote:
This is not intended to sound like a "gotcha" here, but wasn't Go your desert island game? It suprised me at the time, as most of your discussion had heavily emphasized social interactions. So, if you were allowed two games on a desert island (and suitable players) which would the other one be?

I thought about that for a while, and needed to come up with a game that I thought would last me for a _very_ long time. Many of the games that I enjoy are ones that I couldn't see enjoying if I played them again and again and again with nothing else to play. Go is the only game that I've dipped my toe in and realized just how absolutely deep it is, so if I was forced to play just one game for a year, it would be that one. I think it would hold up to a year of play and still offer interesting explorations.

(and there are other ways to socialize other than a game!)

So, most games that I have are great to play every few months, but wouldn't hold up to a year of constant play.

The other games I thought about were:
- one of the 18xx titles, but I feel that if you played a single 18xx title many times, you might "figure it out" and get fairly bored with it.
- Indonesia, as the city placement and limited moves on the R&D track makes a game that feels very different each time I play.
- Deck of Cards, but that's a cheesy answer.
- Antiquity, as the wide variety of buildings makes this game feel different each time.
- Die Macher, but the procedural nature might get old quickly.

Modern Art is a game with a very subtle bidding mechanism and would probably mature very well, as would Medici. I think it would be one of those two, and between them, I'd give a slight nod to Medici due to the fact that cards are worth different amounts to different players. (although I really like the Modern Art bidding where the auctioneer gets the money; that adds a level of interest to the game that makes it tough to puzzle through).

A fair answer. Yes, there are other ways to socialize besides playing a game, but if socializing is central to your gaming enjoyment, how well will you enjoy a game without it?

For example, I used to play Chess competitively (er, that is, I went to tournemants, but only won a few small local ones). I'm an introvert by nature, but even I found a 3-hour game too isolating. I eventually gave it up in favor of Bridge which I found every bit as challenging, but you get partner, two opponents, and some room for a little banter while remaining focused on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Congrats!!! Sorry I'm a little late since I am in your BG Group here in Syracuse.

You are very open minded about games - a big plus. Everyone has genres they don't care for and specific games they abhor but you do give a fair hearing to all games from what I've seen.

No questions...

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
By the way, those speederbikes get REALLY hot out there in the Orlando sun. Trust me on that.

Well, if you had just as little underwear beneath that kilt, as is usually the tradition for the Scots, I believe you now have a really good idea about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there's a lot of talk about Game Collections, I took some pictures of mine and thought I would share.

I've posted all of the pictures over at

http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/48636.a6d6f9f0ef9/overview

You'll WOW at the amazing (lack of) organization.

You'll OOH at the many elastic bands used.

You'll AAH at the Portable Game Collection that I keep in my car.

And finally,

You'll EEW at the Board Games with Scott Set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimbus wrote:
Dr. Scott is my wife's hero, so much so that she makes me wear a beard and dress in kilts (though my legs can't compare to his).
How does it feel to be the originator of "preferred target status"? And would you like the job back?

Heh, no, I think I prefer that job going with someone else.

{Preferred Target Status was the name given to Dimbus's wife's decision-making process in games. Any time someone had to be chosen to take a negative effect in the game, she would award that honor to whomever earned Preferred Target Status. I think she has an internal list that is the default, but spiting her in a game would earn you a temporary bump up to the top of the chart for the games for the evening. Do something bad enough, and you might see yourself moving up for good!

So, it was certainly a metagame activity, but as long as you knew of it, you knew who not to cross. Hell hath no Preferred Target Status like a Cathy scorned....}

Jormi_Boced wrote:

Scott, I hope you take this as the compliment it is meant. That is perhaps the geekiest picture I have ever seen.

Well, then, hooray for being Geek of the Week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

That's me exactly. Except it was a Commodore 64. And that instead of Atari I began with ColecoVision at 4 years old...

And as of the last 4 or 5 years...I've become disillusioned with videogames...they all seem like boring FPS's...but the Wii...gives me hope...

Quote:
Many of my changes have come with me moving from a "job" into a "career" that I love. Until becoming a professor, everything I did was a "job" that I did to support everything else I did. But I love the career of being a professor, and that now takes priority in my life. I enjoy what I do, and while gaming is fun, it doesn't give me the satisfaction of helping someone else to realize their dream and move from their current life situation onto a new life path.

I'm currently finishing up my MBA...and I find it dreadfully boring. I'm thinking of teaching English in China for a while, coming back and teaching highschool or college in Canada...

I'm becoming Scott! Quick, someone get me a videocamera

Oh I think I'm supposed to ask you a question. I think you've said you've been to China...did you teach there? What cities/places did you see? How did you find the experience? Any tips?

Thanks! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions so here's the slightly modified GeekSpeak BoardGameSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game for d10-2 players
Favourite game for d10-3 players
Favourite game for d10-4 players
Favourite game for d10-5 players
Favourite game for d10-6 players
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple - my other confession is that I would be hard pressed to list just one game for most of the above)

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why. Mostly the same list as before.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyCircus wrote:

Oh I think I'm supposed to ask you a question. I think you've said you've been to China...did you teach there? What cities/places did you see? How did you find the experience? Any tips?

I taught part of a two-week seminar on digital libraries, and then had 5 days with a car and driver to see the sights.

I blogged about it pretty thoroughly while there. If you go to my LiveJournal blog at

http://snicholson.livejournal.com/2005/05/18/

and then follow it forward for about a week, that will give you considerable detail about the trip.

You can also see about 300 pictures at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scottnicholson/album?.dir=2e68...

like this one:

The short answer?
I didn't enjoy it. I was constantly harrassed to buy things, and I really got tired of this. Even with a guide who tried to keep people away, I was barraged with people trying to sell me things. The tea and the food were fantastic, and it does really make you realize how old this world is (and how young we are).

A number of faculty have gone, and I've found a pattern. Middle-aged men had the same experience I did. Older men and women did not get barraged in the same way.

Walsfeo wrote:

To turn this into a question, what the heck do you think player piece color makes in the way a game turns out?

Well, obviously..
Red is the mean guy.
Blue is the sad guy.
Yellow is the coward.
Purple is the weirdo.
Black is the evil one.
White is the good one.
and Green?
Don't eat the green one. It's not done yet.

Quote:
Hook time...

I'm going to go with my gut on these, and answer them from the perspective of X people for whom I don't know their tastes. Again, good game + bad peeople = bad game experience, and bad game + good people = better game experience than the game provides. So, if I were packing a bag for a game night, what would go in?

Favourite game for d10-2 players = Shotten Totten. With the frisky Scots in kilts, and without the special cards. They ruin a very elegant game.
Favourite game for d10-3 players = Carolus Magnus
Favourite game for d10-4 players = Himalaya
Favourite game for d10-5 players = Puerto Rico
Favourite game for d10-6 players = I'm the Boss
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players = How about a 3 and a 4? No? How about ..no, you don't want a party game. And you? Nothing too long. Well, perhaps Citadels?

Note - these preferences will change regularly. This is based on the my feelings right now.

Space ships - Starfarers of Catan.
Witches - Technowitches
Trains - First thought was Ticket to Ride.
Transport (may include trains) - Roads & Boats
Workers (paid or otherwise) - Puerto Rico
Trading - Funny enough, Medici came to mind, even though there's no trading! Perhaps it's the whole "merchant" connection.
Building - Puerto Ricoooooooo
Pink - Panther. Wait, that's not a game. Pepto Bismol. That's what I have after too many snacks at a gaming session. Well, piggies are pink. There's that Roll the Pigs dice game.
Theme - Funniest = "Oh My God, There's an Axe in my Head, the game of International Diplomacy". Shadows over Camelot with the traitor hunt is right out of an Arthurian Tale. Castle of Magic really forces you to think like you would if you were in the situation.
Ships - Cape Horn!
Money- Manilla and it's great in-game coins.
Purple - The Count of Carcassone.
Government - Diiiiieeee Maaaaacherrrrrrr
Vampires - The Furries of Dracula
Infrastructure - Power Grid
Dice - Fuzzy, on a window. Das Spiel.
Dinosaurs - Evo
Gemstones - Basari
Dragons - Talisman
Beer - Beer, beer, beer, tiddly, beer.. What do you have that's Amber? Oh, a game.. that beer garden game...what is that.. Goldbräu
Wands - Cape Horn. No. Technowitches. Wait, there's no beer in that. Are there wands? Ack, I don't know.. Puerto Rico!!!

And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?
I'll stick to boardgames:
- Indonesia
- Explore! (a prototype)
- Tsuro
- Easter Island (upcoming game by Twilight Creations)
- Antike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
East Greenbush
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Scott also starts us off with his Two Truths and a Lie:

1. I have a small speaking part in a motion picture that you can now find in most video stores. I grew up on a large horse ranch and farm in Oklahoma and was a farm boy, and they filmed a scene out on the farm.

2. One of my published journal articles was copied and published in two different journals by a full professor of computer science under his name with no acknowledgement or credit for me.

3. In downtown Oklahoma City, I wedged a baritone saxophone in a revolving door of a bank such that the neither the door, the saxophone, nor I could easily move.

OK, I'll go with #3 -- it just sounds a little too contrived. I've heard you talk about #2, though it's possible you changed some some details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
East Greenbush
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The best game experience would be that game of Auf Asche I discussed earlier that I played at a house con.

Wow, Scott, that must have been an awesome house con. Do tell us a little more about it! (Giggle...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
East Greenbush
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It must be very rewarding to introduce people to gaming by the use of videos (none of which I've yet been able to see, by the way). Do you actually know of many people who have become gamers as a result of your efforts? Do you game with any of them regularly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.