Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to give a quick overview of some of the visual differences between the 2012 4th Edition and the 2014 5th Edition of the game. The rules, though re-written with all the new graphical changes, are the same from what I've noticed. From what I can tell, all of the monster stats are identical across both versions. The only change I've noticed so far is that the Purple Worm has been demoted from a level 6 to a level 5 monster with the same statistics - I wonder if that's a typo or intentional.

A visual comparison of the two boxes: the newer 2014 version is on top and the 2012 version is on the bottom. The new box is thicker, though I'm not sure why as the amount and thickness of the components is the same as the 2012 version. However, there is just enough room in the new version to leave some minis in the box as replacements for the cardboard standees.

The boards are identical in size and design except the text for each room and chamber on the 2014 board have been rotated 90 degrees. The 2012 4th edition is on the left and the 2014 5th edition is on the right.

As was the case for the new box cover, they went with a more cartoonish look throughout. Here are the new 2014 cardboard character standees (aka the player pieces) compared to the 2012 version. The newer versions are on the right side of each pair. All of the other iconography remains unchanged.

A comparison of card backs for level 1 Treasure and Monsters. The newer 2014 version is on the top and the 2012 version is on the bottom.

Some monster art comparisons. The newer 5th edition is on the top and the equivalent 4th edition versions are on the bottom. Notice the illustrator credits are now gone. Maybe all of the new monster and treasure art are done by the same illustrator now?

Just some more monster comparisons. The 2012 4th edition is on the top and the 2014 5th edition is on the bottom. The newer Mind Flayer looks particularly cartoony and hilarious to me.

Some of the dragons. The 4th edition ones are on the top and the 5th edition dragons are on the bottom.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that there have been a few questions about the Loot step of a player's turn based on the way the rules were written for the 2012 4th Edition. The clarified rules (which is how we've always played it anyway) read as follows:
Dungeon! 2014 5th Edition Rules Book wrote:

Step 4. Loot for Treasure
If you defeated the Monster in a room, draw 1 Treasure card matching the Level of the room. Collect any other Treasures dropped there. If the Monster was in a chamber, you can't draw a Treasure card, but you can collect any dropped Treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thaks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HANJEL wrote:
Thaks for the post. :)

Ditto. I own a copy of every edition of the game so nice to see a comparison. Since I play this with kids the more cartoony version is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solomani wrote:
HANJEL wrote:
Thaks for the post.

Ditto. I own a copy of every edition of the game so nice to see a comparison. Since I play this with kids the more cartoony version is perfect.

This is one of the games I play with my little girl and not that the previous version had scary art or anything over the top but the cartoony art is a lot more attractive to her. We're happy for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't like the character art but I much prefer the art of this version to the previous version. Glad I waited to buy this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Joe Joe
msg tools
Female warrior with a bow? Clerics with swords? What in the hell??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jackson
United States
Ostrander
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for taking the time to do such a complete comparison. I was wondering what the differences were going to be. The photos were a real nice touch. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the comparisons! I was given 4th edition, but hadn't tried it with my young'uns due to the more realistic art. This would be perfect for them -- big improvements, given the game play and target age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
Mesa
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated.

I do wish the board saw a matching art treatment. I will probably hold off on this version.

Does anyone know if they improved the standee quality? Do they fall apart by just picking them up like the 4th edition ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The standee quality is identical: same cardboard, same size. My daughter and I tend to use minis borrowed from other games instead and put the standees in front of us as a reminder of our class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a few more pictures per user request. In the following pictures, the 2012 4th edition cards are above and the 2014 5th edition version of the same cards are below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
The standee quality is identical: same cardboard, same size. My daughter and I tend to use minis borrowed from other games instead and put the standees in front of us as a reminder of our class.

This reminds me: what is the story with the "now usable with Kre-O!" for the new edition?

Thanks for all the picture comparisons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
This reminds me: what is the story with the "now usable with Kre-O!" for the new edition?

Thanks for all the picture comparisons!

No clue. There is nothing in the 2014 edition rules or box about being able to use KRE-O figures or anything else. In the box is an advertising insert/sheet for a KRE-O Dungeons and Dragons playset, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you for taking the time to post this. I was curious on what the change was. My 2 cents is the 4th edition 2012 looks much better than the 2014 5th edition. But the 2014 art is most def more kid friendly. Have a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat offended at the thought the undeniably-better (realistic) art in the 2012 version is worse for kids than the cartoony 2014 version.

Just because they are kids doesn't mean they prefer worse art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
I'm somewhat offended at the thought the undeniably-better (realistic) art in the 2012 version is worse for kids than the cartoony 2014 version.

Just because they are kids doesn't mean they prefer worse art.

Yeah, I'm not getting that sentiment at all. It would be one thing if the 2012 art was scary, gory, or offensive, but it's not. It may be a little plain, generic fantasy art, but it's far superior to the incredibly poor cartoon art of the 2014 version. What exactly is so bad about the 2012 art that kids need to be protected from it, or what is so superior about the 2014 art that would make kids prefer it? (Cartoony is one thing yes, but this is BAD cartoony.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.