Subject: A losing battle against my 8-year-old son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel T. Georges
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Instead of reading together this evening, while Mama was traveling, we decided to have a manly evening together and play Lightning D-Day right before bed. So, at 9:15, we peeled out the wrapping and read the rules. It took us about 10 minutes to figure out the rules and 10 minutes to set up.

The bits

The box is small and compact,and contains a big deck of cards along with a 4-page set of instructions. The cards are somewhat flimsy, the art is OK.

The rules

They are quite ambiguous. You can make fairly high likelihood guesses as to how it makes sense to interpret them, but you are not sure and you end up somewhat confused. I was confused at the very beginning and several times afterwards. The FAQ on BGG makes a BIG difference: check it out before playing.

The play
At this stage I am not quite sure what to think yet. On the one hand, there is some good theme value. It is not clear to me yet how much tactics and strategy end up actually affecting the result in this game. How much does the strategy impact the outcome? Are there fairly obvious strategies or tactics, or are they difficult to figure out, or, worse, is it mostly luck with a fairly straightforward play? I am not quite sure yet. It seems that, with most of the hands you get, the moves are pretty obvious - but it is quite possible that I have not perceived the actual depth of the game.

As for our session:
I started with the Allies. Cams with the Boches killed one of my units even before it had landed. He quickly followed up on the next turn with a couple of attacks that depleted my forces in Sword and damaged my forces on Omaha. I started a war of attrition with him, attacking back. Over the next few turns, he succeeeded in focusing his efforts on a couple of beaches where my forces became very thin. As time went on, the momentum was progressively shifting from him to me. Eventually, in the last turn he took over full control of Sword but left the door open for some deep carnage with few defense cards left and several 1-troup beaches. Alas, my envisioned success was not to be, as he succeeded in canceling out my last attack on his third beach after I had been able to take over the first two.

Germany: 1
Allies : 0

As mentioned above, I am not sure how much my personal choices impacted the game's outcome. I reserve my judgement and assign a 6 to this game at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.