Subject: Multiplayer: 6 bases and 3 Freezes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Shaver
China
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmb
My question is: When playing multiplayer with 3 bases on your left and 3 on your right, are you considered to have 6 freezes at the bottom of your deck? If not the game could end with bases unfrozen?

For example: People sitting A-B-C-D:
A
D B
C

and playing with only 3 freezes. If A and C play quickly and choose to freeze the three bases between A and D and the three between C and D, then B is free to play along by himself, possibly getting 6 points, because A and C ran out of Freezes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sort of go with your "6 freezes" line of thinking: when a person slaps down their three Freezes, we just say all bases to their left & right are frozen. "In theory" that could deprive someone of the opportunity to play a card on those last unfrozen bases in the second it would take the person to draw & play their fourth/fifth/sixth Freezes, but in practice we've never had a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Pirttimäki
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, actualy, there are enough freezes in the game to realy end it. Even tough every player is playing two games, there are actualy exactly as many games there as there are player, and thus, there are exactly enough freezes (3 per game) to end the games.
Of coure, there is the problem of ending up with up to 3 bases you can't freeze, even tough you wanted to.

So, what to do wi that? I haven't played that many multiplayer games, but here's a few suggestions:

1) "Not realy a problem"
Accept this, not as a flaw, but as a part of the game. This way, keeping the number of bases manageble has to become part of the game strategy.

2) "6 Freezes"
Just as Rusty suggested, if you use 3 freezes, all the bases surrounding you are considered frozen.

3) "Maxium of 2"
The one I perfer. The maxium number of bases isn't 3 but 2. It removes one way of protecting your base, but there also can only be 1 base you can't freeze, at max. Also gives you more room to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nakagawa
United States
California
flag msg tools
I prefer to see it as a strategic part of the endgame.

I also like to rule that if at any point, all of the bases between two players are frozen, then that particular match is over.

So if you have two bases between you and the player on your right and three bases between you and the player on your left, when you get to your freezes, you could choose to freeze both bases between you and your right hand opponent and look through your discards for some method for beating your left hand opponent (after you've frozen one base that you were winning).

My favored scoring system differs from the rules in that it gives 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie, regardless of the number of bases won.

This is to avoid the problems inherent with decks with a large or small number of bases are played. (as well as the influence of nulls and doubles) I changed the scoring because nobody would ever win if they were sitting next to a player playing Tess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.