Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's really sad that we haven't heard anything about how this game plays. Everyone who purchased it is either holding on to it for its collector's value or selling it for the princely sum of 85 freakin' Euro. I guess this is what a renowned designer like Mr. Breese gets for publishing only 500 copies of his game.

It's really sad that he could publish an absolutely terrible game (I'm not saying this IS one. How would I know?) and no one would ever because everyone who bought it refuses to crack the seal. What a waste!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the one game I did play at Essen. I really enjoyed it, it was a solid 8 and would probably creep up to a 9 with repeated play. I was immensely tired at the time, jet lag and 10 hours of work right before, luckily my opponents were also jet lagged, and had worked their asses off, so I pulled out the win. The game was pretty deep, there is a lot to keep track of, and lots of potential for screwage which is a bit different then the usual German games. I want to try it again when I'm more alert.
We actually brought back a couple of copies for our website, I may end up picking up one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frouvne had the good fortune to obtain a copy at Essen, and I know he has unpacked it, so I would expect to see it hit the table in a not too distant future. I will try to remember to put up a sessionreport/review once it happens, in case noone else has done so by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be opening and playing my copy. Oh yes. A game is meant to played darn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not one of those people that hoards games for reselling later or collecting. As soon as I get my copy I'm going to open it and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today and had a read of the rules. From the box cover the game appears to be a simple game but after reading the rules it is actually a tactical brain-burner. It can be played as a family game if you want, but there's a lot to think of if you play it from a gamer's standpoint.

You have to rescue animals with specific characteristics that give you bonus points at the end of the game while you try to eat as many other animals as you can with your fox. Meanwhile you have to guess what animals your opponents try to save...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Of course, I'm opening a copy.

Then I will take out the game board, the bits, and the rules and replace them with a similar weight of Fluxx cards.

Then I will reseal the game and sell it to a collector who is so proud of his shrink-wrapped game but will never verify the contents of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
After reading a rather critical first-impressions post on Spielbox which (for me) mentions all the wrong things, I think I'm going to let go of my sealed copy. And not because of its collector value, but simply because the game was darned expensive to begin with, and that I think I'm entitled to some good game play at that price. Better that it makes someone else happy than that it's sitting idly in my closet. I've also decided that I'm not going to buy such games anymore in the future, unless their rules are available in advance. Matagot can do it, the Lamont brothers can, then so can Mr. Breese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it. At this stage, with only about 30% of my Essen purchased played, it is my favorite Essen 2006 game that I bought. It's a nice middle-weight game that you can either just play and enjoy or try and really deduce what is going on. The scoring is complex, but you can enjoy the game without worrying too much about it.

It is very different from other Breese games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opened, applied the stickers and read the rules. Unfortunately this weekend we had 5 players, so we played Graenaland instead. The scoring looks a bit complex but I look forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is on the way (cost me US$80 or so...ouch) and it's already opened because I asked Richard Breese to rip the shrink and sign the game. : )

It's meant to be played so yes, I'll be applying the stickers and playing it.

Who knows, it might go the way of Reef Encounter and see it picked up by a larger printer.

Costs per unit is extremely high for Richard with a 500 copy run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Mine is on the way (cost me US$80 or so...ouch) and it's already opened because I asked Richard Breese to rip the shrink and sign the game. : )

I was not aware that he would sign a copy if you asked him. That's nifty, I should have asked him. The only autograph I have is a drunken sharpee something that I made during a frustrating game of Poisson d'Avril.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Adam, I've posted a review of Fowl Play! at my site, FunandBoardgames.com (http://funandboardgames.com/site/comments/fowl_play/). As you can see from the picture, I opened my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be opening this the moment its in my hot little hands. It may be worth more unopened, but I want to play it. Plus, Richard doens't sell them for others to make more money with them. He wants them to be played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Denny
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played this on Friday last week. My wife is not a gamer gamer but is a big fan of Reef Encounter - go figure. When I phoned home from Essen she was really excited that I had got a copy of this.

We read the rules - very straight forward - and got stuck in.

As I said in my rating comment we started way too slowly and the game looked as if it would be an awful grind. The fact is that almost any fowl you consume will have a detrimental effect on your "Fowl escaped" score. As a result the tendency for AP is massive. As soon as we realised this however we self imposed a loose time limit per turn and the game flew by. We both enjoyed it immensely.

I lost by about 4 points. Man I could have sworn I had the game sewn up.

A lovely game. Could be one of those that need a timer on players turns though.

Is this the beginning of the Richard Breese backlash we see developing, I wonder?

The pricing issue is interesting isn't it? The author knows what he can charge, he charged it and sold out. Seems like he got it spot on.

I recall the massive debate on here last year complaining about people who bought Shear Panic just to sell on at a premium. Given that Richard Breese was author and producer, why shouldn't he benefit from the full market price instead of selling all his stock low, just to see it selling for much higher.

On that point, by way of example, I paid 60 euro for my ist edition Reef Encounter. Anyone know how much Richard Breese sold it for initially?

Anyway, great game. Don't believe the backlash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE had a print run of 1024 copies and cost EUR40 I belive. It has a lot more bits to it but had the benefit of a larger print run. : )

I don't think that Richard is doing this to get rich. He obviously doesn't want to lose money either! Cutting out the middle man and selling direct at his cost works so he does it. I don't think he can afford to discount too much for retailers with such a small print run!

The review on http://funandboardgames.com/site/comments/fowl_play/ is great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pallidcreatures wrote:

The pricing issue is interesting isn't it? The author knows what he can charge, he charged it and sold out. Seems like he got it spot on.

I recall the massive debate on here last year complaining about people who bought Shear Panic just to sell on at a premium. Given that Richard Breese was author and producer, why shouldn't he benefit from the full market price instead of selling all his stock low, just to see it selling for much higher.

On that point, by way of example, I paid 60 euro for my ist edition Reef Encounter. Anyone know how much Richard Breese sold it for initially?

Anyway, great game. Don't believe the backlash.

Sadly the author does not do much other than break even on these games, despite the 'high' price. The price is a function of the high printing and cutting costs for small runs plus Essen travel, accommodation and stand costs and of course the phenomenally high postage costs across the pond. The limited run (500) was because FP is unlike the other R&D Games and I was not sure how it would sell. I could not risk a larger run and a garage full of unsold copies. However, I would add the high price is 'only' £27.50, which is a lot less than many games. The cost inflates as I am not able to offer any significant trade discount and the online retailers must of course make their own margins.

The limited run for RE2 was because there were only 1000 potential customers - those that had bought R&D's RE. RE was 40 Euro at Essen 2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you who preordered to pay and deliver by post been given prices and opportunities to pay for your copies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Oh Hi Marc
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
Have any of you who preordered to pay and deliver by post been given prices and opportunities to pay for your copies?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:

Yes.

When was that? I preorderd quite a while ago and I sent Richard an email to confirm I was on the list last month and got an affirmative from him. That was the last I heard though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:

Hi Chris,

Everyone on the pre-order list should have had an e-mail at the end of October. I have sent you another e-mail today. If any one else on the pre-order list who has not heard from me it is down to 'bounced e-mails'. Drop me a line at richard@qbreese.fsnet.co.uk.

Thanks,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:

I just recieved mine in the mail yesterday! Yah! Opened and stickers applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my copy today. Was applying the stickers when I realise that I have one extra hexagon but am missing one round piece. DOH!

Emailed Richard and will wait for replacement before attempting a game. The box is compact! It's smaller than I imagined! Say 20% larger than the Kosmos 2 player box?

UPDATE: Received replacement piece in the mail a week after I emailed Richard! Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.