flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figaro (2006)
Designed By: Reiner Knizia
Published By: Mayfair Games
# of Players: 3-6
Playing Time: 20 – 45 minutes

Intro

Knizia keeps them coming, with another short card game. I must say, I was quite happy to only have to read two short pages of instructions for once.

Pieces and Gameplay (skip if you want to simply read the review)

This is a small game, not too much to report. It comes with your standard pieces. The cards are nicely designed and kind of funny, with even Knizia making an appearance and the castle piece is not really needed. I do find that the box is bigger then it needs to be, since there are very few pieces, it takes more space than it should. But of course, this is a minor issue.

Strategy/Comments

The game is pretty simple. You are trying to entertain the king but you are no good at it. You place cards in front of others showing a jester making mistakes while trying to entertain the king and once the value of the cards in front of one player adds up to six, that player must collect all the cards on the table. The only rules are that only one color of cards can be in front of a player and only one player can have that color in front of him at a time. Once one player has no cards left, you must count the number of cards (not value) that are in your stack. The player with the least collects nothing and each other player gets a piece of road. These road pieces vary in size and depending which ones were draw at the beginning, you can get a really short piece or a really long piece. The player with the most cards takes the longest piece in the pile and the one with the second most gets the second longest and so on. After three rounds, whoever has the shortest road (connecting all their roads together) wins. There is one advantage in the third round, in which the person with the least amount of cards can trade his largest piece of road for the smallest one in the last pile.
Now, you may need to count cards in order to get good at this, but there are 60 cards in the deck, so it is not easy and may make the game tedious. The fun comes in deciding who to attack. The strategy is limited since you mainly attack the person in the lead or try and attack someone you still think you have a chance of catching.

Conclusion

The game is pretty simple and fun at first, but I find it is a little bit too long for what it is. The first two rounds are fun, but then by the third one it gets a little repetitive and since usually by then only two people have a chance to win, it gets dull for the others. A decent game to try, but there are many others out there that I would prefer to play.

Rating: 6/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.