Skip-Bo» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Terrible Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Firstly I will admit card games are not usually my thing so i could be a little biased.

I first came to find this game because i enjoy uno. I wanted to get uno to play vs my girlfriend, but she said theres a better game than uno and pointed to skip-bo. Unfortunatly i got skip-bo.

The aim of skipbo is to playing all your cards of your pile. You do this be playing cards out of your hand into the playing area. To play a card you need to have the next number in sequence, the sequence being 1 to 12. Simple enough game.

Like nearly all the card games the game is luck driven. Which doesnt allow much in the way of tactics or skill in this specific game. Like most card games you either sit there for most of the game waiting for one card to show up or you play by yourself practically finishing in one turn. You do need to use your brain a bit to know when not to play a card rather than playing a card. This is becauseyour aim is to rid your pile of all cards so you try to get rid of them all. The only time you do not play a card is when the person next to you have the next number in the sequence on top of their pile.

The lack of tactics and thinking makes the game very boring. After a few plays the game be comes reptitive and dull, which isnt what gaming should be about.

As with many of these types of games I would highly recommend them for children because they teach good number and pattern recognition skills. Plus because it is luck driven there is no unfair advantage between child and adult.

For you general gamer I recommend steering clear of this game completely there are much better games out there to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Die, human scum!
badge
Resistance is useless!
mb
Skip-Bo is essentially the published version of a traditional card game we always called Spite & Malice. There's a published version with that name: (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6644) Flinch is essentially the same thing, too: (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2294)

You play it with your grandmother, not your geekbuddies. Grandma will love you for it. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
lol well put!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a play until the pizza gets here game. easy to explain filler, with some strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i think there are better fillers than this one. uno for example!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is MUCH better with 3 or 4 than with just 2. With more players you can do more to prevent a particular player from playing the card at the top of her pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i have played this game with more people which i should have mentioned in my review. but i must say i prefered it better as a 2 player game which says alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
The only time you do not play a card is when the person next to you have the next number in the sequence on top of their pile.

I think this is not true. There's more strategy to the game than you recognize. Are you talking about playing cards from your hand, or from your discard piles? Generally, you shouldn't play cards from your discard piles unless it enables you to play additional cards from hand, or from your draw pile. And even cards from hand should not always be played. The advantage of playing a card from your hand is that it lets you draw a new, random card on your next turn. But, not infrequently, you would rather keep the card you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Flinch is essentially the same thing, too: (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2294)

I played this for the first time yesterday. It reminded me a lot of Flinch, which was my mother's favorite game.

There is a bit of strategy; for instance, I'll sometimes hold back from playing a Skip-Bo card, hoping that I'll have a better use for it on my next turn.

I rated this a 5.5 - nice family game, but probably not something I'm likely to suggest as a filler while waiting for more to show at the local game club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
Like most card games you either sit there for most of the game waiting for one card to show up or you play by yourself practically finishing in one turn.

I really don't think you are playing by the correct rules!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:

Like nearly all the card games the game is luck driven. ... Like most card games you either sit there for most of the game waiting for one card to show up or you play by yourself practically finishing in one turn.

Skip-Bo is hardly my favorite game ... when I play it, it's with my dad, who loves it ... but you seem to have a very harsh opinion of ALL (or at least most) card games.

If you think most card games are luck-driven, and all about waiting for the right card to show up -- you're playing the wrong games. Uno and Skip-Bo are no more top-of-the-line card games than Candyland is a top-shelf boardgame. You need to get out more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingus wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:
Like most card games you either sit there for most of the game waiting for one card to show up or you play by yourself practically finishing in one turn.

I really don't think you are playing by the correct rules!!

i found it to be like this for me as well, is there a way to keep me from wanting to fall asleep?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
United States
Hesperia
California
flag msg tools
I recommend to anyone reading this that they read the strategy thread someone started.

This game is heavily luck dependent, but there are tactical considerations that will improve your odds. I've seen many people mismanage their discard piles, inefficiently utilize the discard piles relative to their hands, play too cautiously and thereby not draw as many cards as they could be drawing, and fail to block their opponent (which grows more important when the opponent is close to going out.)

Yes, there are much better games out there, but I agree with the earlier reviewer that it is a decent game to play with your grandparents. It is very simple to teach and gives everyone a chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.