Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am tired of people saying this game plays itself. I know of a few strategies, offhand. One is to combine mountain tiles and farm placement to block out your opponent and keep them from creeping into choice farmland. Having one farm left to place with tiles still left to distribute is also a nice place to be. But I'm an amateur--what are your tips?

And, is there a game more complex than this that I should try next, in addition to Through the Desert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For newbies I tell them to maintain at least a 4 hex spacing between farms.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:

Your own, or yours and your oppenent's, or any farms? Placing a farm next to one of your oppenent's farms can be very useful at times. And sometimes even near your own. If the early board is evolving wide open I will often place two of my own close to claim most of the central area.

What I really like about Fjords is that despite the placement options often being so limiting and there only being three types of terrain (fields, mountains, and water), each game turns out so different from the last. There is a lot of variation in the layout so the farm placement has to adjust to the flow of the exploration phase. I very much like to try to isolate potential expansion areas by placing a farm, then adding mountains to limit the way in, but the timing is crucial.

A poorly played (or extremely unlucky) exploration phase makes the second phase of the game obvious and hopeless for one player. However, a well played exploration phase makes the second phase of the game agonizingly difficult, as short as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:

Your own, or yours and your opponent's, or any farms?

The would be, "your own." It is a good idea to out-flank an opponent's farm by placing your farm near theirs when the terrain dictates such a move. I can't think of any instance where placing two or more of your farms in close proximity would be anything but a recipe for disaster.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
I can't think of any instance where placing two or more of your farms in close proximity would be anything but a recipe for disaster.

I can think of many cases where it's a good idea. Sometimes the pair of farms can guarantee you sole access to a large territory. Sometimes your opponent responds to your farm placement by playing next to you, and the best response by you is to play next to them, effectively surrounding and negating their farm with your two close together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:
I can't think of any instance where placing two or more of your farms in close proximity would be anything but a recipe for disaster.

I can think of many cases where it's a good idea. Sometimes the pair of farms can guarantee you sole access to a large territory. Sometimes your opponent responds to your farm placement by playing next to you, and the best response by you is to play next to them, effectively surrounding and negating their farm with your two close together.

Nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

In my defence I have not encountered a situation where placing a farm in close proximity to an opponent's is advantageous. You only have four farms to place, and given the nature of the game, it is very difficult to know with any certainty what tiles will be placed "behind" your farm. What you describe would be most likely to occur near the end Discovery Phase, if at all.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:

We just started playing recently, but that tip sounds solid.

The couple of things I've been trying to figure out about the strategy:

1) My intuition tells me to try to put the farm houses on tiles that have as many "field" borders as possible - as it should provide the most number of options to place your pastures (assuming that there are tiles placed around you) and minimize the risk of being cut-off with one pasture from your opponent.

2) Again, the intuition tells me that I'd prefer to be the player who places the first pasture. Thus, when the tiles are running low, I try to figure if I can play a face-up tile in order to have my opponent draw and place the last tile from the bag, which gives me the ability to place the first pasture. [Granted, they may not be able to place the last tile in the bag, but odds are . . . ]

Would be interested in hearing from more experiences players if my intuition is correct or if it is lying to me again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:
2) Again, the intuition tells me that I'd prefer to be the player who places the first pasture. Thus, when the tiles are running low, I try to figure if I can play a face-up tile in order to have my opponent draw and place the last tile from the bag, which gives me the ability to place the first pasture. [Granted, they may not be able to place the last tile in the bag, but odds are . . . ]

Would be interested in hearing from more experiences players if my intuition is correct or if it is lying to me again.

This line of thought assumes that there are face-up tiles. In my last game every tile was playable when drawn so the second player got to go first in the second phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:

In my defence I have not encountered a situation where placing a farm in close proximity to an opponent's is advantageous. You only have four farms to place, and given the nature of the game, it is very difficult to know with any certainty what tiles will be placed "behind" your farm. What you describe would be most likely to occur near the end Discovery Phase, if at all.

I have a hard time recognizing the right times to place a farm next to my opponent's, but I know it can work because my worst losses have happened when my opponent has done this. But I have a hard time seeing the right moment for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
craniac wrote:
And, is there a game more complex than this that I should try next, in addition to Through the Desert?

If you want to play something like Fjords and Through the Desert that is more complex, I recommend Go. More than one person has remarked that the second phase of Fjords is interestingly like the endgame of Go, and TtD is also often compared to Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronaldinho @boardspace.net
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Go and Hex are great. Or for something simpler, Hey That's My Fish or Amazons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Nova is in this vein as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.