Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opening hours of the Bulge offensive …

Sometimes these games are decided by maneuver, luck, dash, and élan. And sometimes they just give you a grunt’s-eye view of getting killed without rhyme or reason. The scenario certainly started off with plenty of toys in place – a German AFV advancing against the American outpost line, supported by off-map artillery and infantry, with the Americans positioned atop a hill with a medium machinegun, and with a 60mm mortar in support. But the only weapons of consequence were the mortar and that German radio set. The AFV got to drive around and pop off a couple shots, and the infantry scurried through gullies, but the AFV was window dressing, and the infantry just did a lot of dying.

Napoleon said that God fights on the side with the best artillery, so the Big Guy must have been with the Germans in this one, as their radio access to something big and brutal back in the artillery park just beat the Hell out of my Americans. My mortar did a number on the Germans, too (and delivered an especially rude surprise when the Germans discovered woods afforded no protection from mortar fire), and by the middle of the second deck, both squads were on the edge of breaking. A final blast of German FFE on my hilltop position put paid to my boys and they broke and ran for home.

An entertaining game … certainly there were plenty of fireballs and dust clouds everywhere. I couldn’t believe the flow of radio cards into the German hand. They must have hit me five times with that damn artillery. I’m still deaf from the experience and the explosions were all in my imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shook this scenario out of the box again this afternoon and my experience couldn't have been more different. I took the French on defense against a German attack. The very first German card was a successful artillery strike but rather than seeing my defenders shattered, this time we instead hung in there well into the third deck and rediscovered how much fun this scenario could be. The German AFV couldn't hit water falling out of a boat while my French mortar was a real pain for the advancing Germans. It was a very tight game, overall, and came down to hand-to-hand combat (where my French acquitted themselves well, killing one German as an attack that honestly started just as a means of flushing excess movement cards from my hand).

Both my MGs and the mortar managed to malfunction at one time or another during the game (and I think the mortar went down twice). To offset this the Germans got themselves stuck on a stream and we enjoyed pretty good RNC draws overall (although having my sniper picked off after their first attack was a drag). It was coming down to the wire when the big German firegroup opened up from RR5 and took me down by squad break, but this was still rewarding as one of the more cinematic and back-and-forth scenarios that we have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.