badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now a wiki page!
OLWLG

You can still use this page for disucssion, suggestions, help, tip me , etc

If you are a math trade organizer also see

OLWLG for Organizers

as such the following in this base post is mostly dated info.....
In addition to the following here are some other resources:
Steve's geeklist w/images on general use of the OLWLG
Chris's geeklist w/images on duplicate protection

This is a test release of a tool that can be used to more easily generate your want lists, and do it online, for a math trade.

The following is deliberately verbose. If you are the type like me who doesn't always read directions, you can try skipping to the last bullet.

Step 1
Login to the tool using your BoardGameGeek username. This is a two part step. First you'll provide the tool your BoardGameGeek username. The tool will send you a geekmail (on BGG) with a link you'll need to use that will end up logging you into the tool.

Note: if you are restricting Internet cookies, you need to allow the cookie BGGID to be set. This is the only way the tool can remember who you are.
Step 2
After successfully logging in you are redirected to a page that welcomes you, and has a list of the current active math trades this tool is aware of (right now it's hardcoded).

Click on the appropriate math trade name
Step 3
This is the sortable(*) table that lists all the items as of the last snapshot that are in the math trade.

Column one contains the current geeklist item number, the image
which is hyperlinked to the open a new window to the actual item in the geeklist, an "Add" button (or a green image of a check mark if you've already added it).

The "Add" button (or green check mark) results in a sub-table being displayed at the bottom of the corresponding 2nd column. The sub-table lists the name of the main game of each of your own items in this math trade, and a checkbox before each one. Select (or un-select if clearing previously selected) which of your offerings you are willing to trade away for the given item.

Click on "save" to save the selections, or "cancel" to abort and no changes will be made. In both cases the sub-table should disappear. In the case of "save" the "Add" button should change to the green check mark image. If you clicked "save" and the sub-table does not disappear (give it a little time if it's not quick) an error may have occurred (the inlined frame at the very top of the page may have more information).

After you've added your 1st want, right before and right after the table should now be a link "Click here to edit your wants" which takes you to the next step (in a new window).

Hint: you can "Add", make no selections, then click "save" if you simply want to flag an item you may be interested in. You can either come back to it later to choose which of your items you are willing to trade for it, in either this step, or in the next step.

The table is entire table is sortable(*) by game name, rank, rating, bgg modfiied (bay) rating, the number of users who have rated it, and the person who created the geeklist item. In addition you can sort the table by the number of folks (on BGG overall, not specific to this math trade) who have this item listed in their collection as "for trade", wanted, and "wish list".

Note: the tool needs both JavaScript, CSS and IFrame's (inlined frames) enabled.

* = Note: the re-sort may be slow on some platforms/browsers
Step 4
After you've added the items in Step 3 and then clicked on the "Click here to edit your wants" you are taken to another page where you can edit your wants some more in a different way. A matrix of checkboxes in table format is given where there is a column for each of the items you have in the math trade, and a row for each item you are interested in receiving.

This rows in this table are sorted 1st based on how many of your items you indicated you would trade for it, then on how many folks on BGG in general have it marked as "wanted" in their collection. In theory the most valuable (to you) items you want are listed higher up.

The columns are also sorted based on how many different items each of your items wants. In theory the most valuable (to you) of your items are listed closer to the left side of the table.

In this format, if it's anything like mine, you'll find the highest concentration of checked checkboxes grouped in the upper right hand corner of the table.

Click on "Confirm Changes" to commit any changes, or "Reset Changes" will reset the table to the way it was when the page was loaded.
Step 5
You can actually do this at any point during Step 4 but in theory this will be the last thing you do.

At the top and bottom of the page is a borderless table with different colored cell backgrounds. This is like a tab'ed page, you can click on each one to display your want lists in different formats.

* Table (edit format)
--- the default format described above
* Summary
--- html list format (looks similiar to what my want list verifier displays)
* Traditional Lists
--- one want list per line using just geeklist item numbers (1st # of each is your item #)
* GeekList Item Id Lists
--- similiar to traditional except BGG unique geeklist item "identifiers"
* Official Format
--- if the math trade organizer has their own unique id's from their official summary

Note: if you made changes in "Table (edit format)" that you have not saved yet, they will not be reflected in the other formats (you have to go back to the table/edit format and save them).
Important
This tool is unofficial and you should still check your lists against the official summary (if there is one).

This tool does not yet automatically submit your want lists, you need to cut/paste the appropriate "format" and likely need to geekmail it to the math trade organizer. Update: online submission via this tool is now supported... it does depend on the math trade and if the math trade organizer has authorized submission via this tool.

This tool internally uses and stores the unique BGG geeklist item "identifiers" for each geeklist item. This means it should be unaffected by changes in the geeklist order (such as an item being deleted).
Location of tool, last notes
You can find the first (login) page to the tool at:

http://olwlg.activityclub.org/

I know the information given above seems overwhelming and possibly complex. However I hopefully designed the user interfaces so that the use of the tool is relatively intuitive.

Other tweaks are planned.

And of course feedback welcome! And of course GeekGold tips always accepted if you find this tool useful! (but always make sure to 1st tip the math trade organizer [if it's not also myself])

Jeff

What appears to be the 1st MT that I used my new tools on that would become the OLWLG (see my post here and also this one) is:
New small items Math Trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Math Trade Want List Generator - T1.0
this (in partcular the add button) seems not to work for us Mac OS X users
I tried: Camino 1.1a1, Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool tool! Unfortunately, it runs so slow that it's unusable for me. You can say I need a faster system (I'm on a 1GHz Pentium-M laptop), but I think that the page is too heavy. I've had the same trouble with your summary pages in the past, which is why I've always stuck with the official summaries, even though your summaries are more complete.

Firefox 2.0, on Linux.

Oh, one note: why do the iframes have class="iframe" as well? It's redundant. If you want to match them in CSS, you can just use the tag name instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, doesn't seem to be working...though I really really want it to work...

I'm using IE 6 SP2 on XP SP2, and a P4 3.2 Ghz machine...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron G
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm getting some errors, but I can seem to copy and past them! Rats.

line: 62
char: 5
error: undefined is null or not an object

line 239
char 3
error could not get the fontstyle property, invalid argument

line 244
char 3
error member not found

i'm using ie v7. hope that helps. i didn't reboot recently so maybe it's just my system. i dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have been more specific... the ADD button is not working. It is not hyperlinked to anything. Clicking does nothing, mousing over it doesn't show that it should open something, and no action/URL is specified at the bottom where you would expect it to show.

Sorry...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
Cool tool! Unfortunately, it runs so slow that it's unusable for me. You can say I need a faster system (I'm on a 1GHz Pentium-M laptop), but I think that the page is too heavy. I've had the same trouble with your summary pages in the past, ...

Good point... checking the page size for this math trade it's about 1,406,206 bytes.

To see if it helps I've just changed it to that each offerings main game's description is no longer included (it was hidden unless you wanted to toggle it's display on/off). That's reduced the size down to 849,370 bytes. Folks can always get the description by clicking on the name of the game and the BGG page opens up in a new window. If folks miss the "feature" I could add it back in as either a per user option, or dynamically (ajax) it in.

I'll look to see where else I could trim data but the bgg game descriptions I think was the big one.

dyfrgi wrote:
Oh, one note: why do the iframes have class="iframe" as well? It's redundant. If you want to match them in CSS, you can just use the tag name instead.

More than one way to skin a cat with CSS. However if I want to be able to use class names to hide/display the object (iframe) the same way I do with the "hide comments" feature... (vs. of course chaning the object's CSS directly).

In any case, the use of iframe's I planned to be just temporary. I was originally planning to keep the page static (ie. .html vs. generated by each user) hence I need the per user data external and that's the "mygames" iframe. I plan to get rid of that one and just have the same data in the generated main page. The other iframe I will probably get rid of and use Ajax (XMLHttpRequest)... but I was worried about having to deal with per browser differences in the 1st test release of the tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another couple of notes:
The sorting routine should run faster if you tell the page not to update until you're done. Otherwise, it'll try to rerender on every call to setrow.

innerHTML is deprecated for good reason: it's hideously inefficient. Yeah, it's a little easier to write portable code if you use it, but I think you'd be better off using an UI framework that someone else wrote. There are several good ones out there, and they'll probably be faster and more portable than anything you hack together, if only because they've had more people working on them for longer.

Reversing the sorted arrays every time you sort using them makes some sense, but means that when I sort on rank, then GL#, then rank again, I get the opposite of what I expect. I think it'd be better to only do the reverse sort when the user clicks on the heading a second time, or to provide arrows in each column to select the direction of sort.

It's probably so slow to render partially because you have a </dev> in there instead of a </div>, which is making the DOM tree very deep.

I recommend installing the Firefox extension Firebug and taking a look at what it outputs - it noted a few errors during the run. I haven't looked at them in detail, but you might want to do so since there could be bugs hiding in there. It's also what told me that setrow was what was taking so long during the sorting process.

I look forward to seeing version T1.1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
I should have been more specific... the ADD button is not working. It is not hyperlinked to anything. Clicking does nothing, mousing over it doesn't show that it should open something, and no action/URL is specified at the bottom where you would expect it to show. (and "I'm using IE 6 SP2 on XP SP2"

It's implemented as an IMGage object with a JavaScript "onClick" action.

In any case, I'm also now seeing the problem on IE 6 (good news as it will be easier to find). I do see it's reporting a javascript error (also line 244 like Ron)... I just have to decipher it as IE's javascript error reporting is very terse compared to Opera

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
The sorting routine should run faster if you tell the page not to update until you're done. Otherwise, it'll try to rerender on every call to setrow.

I'm not familiar with any mechanism to control when the browser re-renders changes made to the DOT via javascript?? All I can think of is to either hide the table while it's being sorted, or double buffer (make the changes to a hidden table then switch which one is hidden).

Of course the other option since I switched to a generate page vs. a static one for all, is I could go back (which no one but myself saw) to having the sort options be links to have the server re-generate the page.

In any case, at least for now, performance of the resorts is lower priority than the bugs and page size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found the culprit for the slow scrolling. It won't help with bugs and page size, but it's a trivial change, and it makes it scroll at a reasonable speed on Firefox 2.0. Without this, scrolling is something to be done after grave consideration since it takes about a second for each render.

Take a look at these URLs in Firefox to see what I mean:
http://slashhome.org/tmp/viewlist_fast.html
http://slashhome.org/tmp/viewlist_slow.html

I think the method to prevent rendering until you're done changing an element is to remove the table from the document tree, munge its contents, and then re-insert it. Alternatively, create a new table element, add children to it (with appendChild, ideally) and then swap out the old table for the new one. I'm sure that many UI libraries have sortable tables implemented well, so you could also look at them for examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am not getting the "Add" button to work. It looks like all the other buttons/links that I click are working fine.

Firefox 2.0.0.3, XP sp2, on some intel duo-crap laptop.

Edit: Just went back to try again and it looks to be working!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuttleboy wrote:
I also am not getting the "Add" button to work. It looks like all the other buttons/links that I click are working fine.

Firefox 2.0.0.3, XP sp2, on some intel duo-crap laptop.

Edit: Just went back to try again and it looks to be working!

Yup, was just about to report that I think I've found the problem with "Add" button not working in Firefox. Problem was that I didn't have an id="iframe" on the 1st iframe. Opera must infer the "id" if missing from the "name".

Doesn't seem to be the reason it's not working in IE.

Firefox is still giving an error:

Error: document.getElementById("editwants") has no properties
Source File: http://activityclub.org/bgg/...
Line: 91

but the links to "Click here to edit your wants" (next step) still show up so am ignoring for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a look at the fast.html/slow.html you give, but the only difference I see is that you commented out the CSS:

td { outline: invert ridge; }

? In any case I'm not sure if it helps but in setrow() I just added a:

row.style.visibility = 'hidden';

before the loop that writes all the cells, and the corresponding one to make it visible again after the loop.

Too bad that IE's moveRow() isn't portable. I have thought about conditionalizing it for IE (as well as real vertical text in the row headers) but I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would be even for IE to use moveRow without a test.

dyfrgi wrote:
I think I found the culprit for the slow scrolling. It won't help with bugs and page size, but it's a trivial change, and it makes it scroll at a reasonable speed on Firefox 2.0. Without this, scrolling is something to be done after grave consideration since it takes about a second for each render.

Take a look at these URLs in Firefox to see what I mean:
http://slashhome.org/tmp/viewlist_fast.html
http://slashhome.org/tmp/viewlist_slow.html

I think the method to prevent rendering until you're done changing an element is to remove the table from the document tree, munge its contents, and then re-insert it. Alternatively, create a new table element, add children to it (with appendChild, ideally) and then swap out the old table for the new one. I'm sure that many UI libraries have sortable tables implemented well, so you could also look at them for examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those with problems in IE... problem appears to be with the XML I'm generating for the 2nd iframe. IE is giving me the error listed below. This is a character set problem that myself, Michael, and others are aware of

I'm going to fix it by getting rid of the iframe and just generate the same data I put in the XML right into the main page.

However I'm heading out the door for game night so I won't be able to fix this till Tuesday

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

-------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://activityclub.org/bgg/mygames.cgi?listid=2...

game index="184" itemid="403268" gname="Rheinl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I took a look at the fast.html/slow.html you give, but the only difference I see is that you commented out the CSS:

td { outline: invert ridge; }

Yup, and it makes it run much faster. Some poor implementation in Firefox I'm sure - that rendering change doesn't seem like it should make that much difference, but for whatever reason, it does.

JeffyJeff wrote:

? In any case I'm not sure if it helps but in setrow() I just added a:

row.style.visibility = 'hidden';

before the loop that writes all the cells, and the corresponding one to make it visible again after the loop.

It doesn't seem to impact the time it shows in the Firebug profiler. Anyway, the idea is to get the *entire table* not to render until you've finished moving the elements around - not just the individual rows. The expensive thing is rerendering the whole thing every time you move a row. The current code you have up just does the individual rows.

Oddly, the minimum time to set a row is 32ms, while the maximum time is about 900ms. I wonder what the discrepancy is caused by? Maybe rows near the end are cheap while rows near the beginning are expensive? I haven't explored it, nor do I know how I would get that data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it matters for Genetitrade or not, but looking at the MT guide at Lindsey Dubb's Math Trade Guide at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555, where games are at on your list can affect what you may receive. If this is true, it'd be nice if there was a way you could move items up or down on the edit page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that order doesn't matter for Genetitrade, but does for TradeGenie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've fixed a bunch of bugs and it should now be working fine with:

IE 6.0
Firefox 2.0.0.3
Netscape 7.2
Opera 9.10

The problem with the sorts messing up things in Opera turned out to be a typo (a /div tag I had as /dev).

I'll see what I can do about performance for the re-sorting of the table. Michael, just also want to double check that you have Firebug plugin disabled for activityclub.org? Once I disable that in my Firefox it seemed to make a difference.

Jason, as David indicates, and Michael can confirm as the author of Genetitrade, that I believe Michael has said the way the chains are extended/muted, because it's all random, that the ordering of your wants make absolutely no difference.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

I'll see what I can do about performance for the re-sorting of the table. Michael, just also want to double check that you have Firebug plugin disabled for activityclub.org? Once I disable that in my Firefox it seemed to make a difference.

I don't find that it makes a huge difference in sorting speed. I haven't timed sorts with it both on and off, though. It does show its own share of time for each function as well, when profiling - though I have no idea how accurate that is. I certainly noticed that it was slow at sorting before I even installed Firebug.

With the CSS change, it's now fast enough to browse that I'll try using it for generating my wantlist for the current trade. Sure, sorting is slow, but I don't need to use it much for this tool to still be an improvement over using the basic summary.

JeffyJeff wrote:

Jason, as David indicates, and Michael can confirm as the author of Genetitrade, that I believe Michael has said the way the chains are extended/muted, because it's all random, that the ordering of your wants make absolutely no difference.

Yup, order makes no difference with GenetiTrade. While I intend to add some sort of non-uniform wantlists at some point, it'll probably be done explicitly instead of through simple ordering. Of course, it might still be useful for trades run with other tools, but given GenetiTrade's current performance advantage, those may be few. It could also be useful for other purposes: I often sort my list just because it makes it easier to trim the stuff I don't *really* want enough, not because I think it's going to impact the calculation of a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I've made a few tweaks that for this math trade (since they are per geeklist item) to reduce the size of the generated html from about 852,000 to 766,000 bytes (about 10% less).

This current version also puts the list of your items and wants into the inlined javascript instead of loading it into an iframe and parsing it so that may help a "little" with load time.

Not tonight, but I plan to see how portable the DOM tree modifiers (insertBefore/appendChild, etc) are as I would imagine moving things around that way would be faster (and more memory efficient) than what I'm doing now (which is copying the innerHTML out of each cell of the entire table, then setting the innerHTML of each cell. There are 7 cells per row, and in this math trade, 453 rows. That's 3,171 cells each being read then written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, look into portable UI frameworks. Writing that stuff yourself isn't worth it unless you enjoy writing Javascript GUI frameworks. I do know a few people who enjoy that - I think they're nuts. They also do things like writing video games in Javascript and SVG, so I have some considerable evidence for their insanity. Sorry I can't offer more specific suggestions on which frameworks are worth trying - I haven't much Javascript programming in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Ok, I've fixed a bunch of bugs and it should now be working fine with:

IE 6.0
Firefox 2.0.0.3
Netscape 7.2
Opera 9.10

Jeff

Now working on my IE 6 SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.2 browsers (both on XP SP2).

... and, btw, it's very very cool...

Many thanks, Jeffy!

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron G
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems to be working quite well with my IE v7.0 as well. Looking realy good Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a wishlist and all that. I have a couple of comments.

It'd be nice if the lots I have were checked by default. This is especially true since I have only one lot in this trade. Having to check it off every time I add a lot was slightly annoying.

The edit page is slightly confusing. I didn't realize those options for how to display the list were clickable, at first. You might make them into links or buttons so that it's more clear.

Otherwise, looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [73] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.