Near and Far» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions (regarding end of game and end of map) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
From my understanding (and correct me if i am wrong), end of game actually means end of each map
So the campaign mode has 10 maps which means 10 end of game scorings
(if this is true, man, thats confusing to me. I'm under the impression that end of game is end of campaign/story)

Anyway, that being said, my questions are

1) Are built artifacts, acquired resources, and recruited people carried over to the next map? Or are they washed anew for each map?

2) Are Artifact negative points (from not being built) and positive points (from being built) scored at the end of each map? Or end of campaign mode?

3) The game end condition for 4 players is: 8 adventurers
This applies to all game modes? Meaning, for each map, once someone reaches 8 adventures, the map is finished? Regardless of whether anyone finds the mysterious Last Ruin on map 11?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jion wrote:

(if this is true, then this really needs some serious rewording. End of game would generally mean end of campaign for most people, not end of 1 map

I have to disagree here. Each of the maps plays 1-2 hours and the campaign is meant to be split across many sessions. To me, "end of game" very much means "end of map", at which point we can put the game away, play something else and play the next map/game two weeks later, just like we would with a game of, say, Ancient World. Only difference is that some changes to the character will be carried over. If there's something that happens at the end of the campaign, I would expect it to say "end of campaign".

I'm not saying that either of us is in the majority, but jumping from a personal impression to 'most people' is a bit rash.

Edit: Rules for one map are also very similar between 1-map oneshots, 3-4-map stories and the full 10-map campaign. Defining 'end of game' as happening after between 1 and 10 maps would also complicate rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Tobl wrote:
Jion wrote:

(if this is true, then this really needs some serious rewording. End of game would generally mean end of campaign for most people, not end of 1 map

I have to disagree here. Each of the maps plays 1-2 hours and the campaign is meant to be split across many sessions. To me, "end of game" very much means "end of map", at which point we can put the game away, play something else and play the next map/game two weeks later, just like we would with a game of, say, Ancient World. Only difference is that some changes to the character will be carried over. If there's something that happens at the end of the campaign, I would expect it to say "end of campaign".

I'm not saying that either of us is in the majority, but jumping from a personal impression to 'most people' is a bit rash.

Edit: Rules for one map are also very similar between 1-map oneshots, 3-4-map stories and the full 10-map campaign. Defining 'end of game' as happening after between 1 and 10 maps would also complicate rules text.

Ok, i will not make general assumptions on the end of game terminology, will edit my post.

But i do still want to know the answers to the questions whether things get carried forward
I would be very interested in the game if artifacts and the like are brought forward, much less interested if they dont

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent podcast verified that only main character with their experience points, completed quests, and skills purchased with experience points carry over.

I got some clarification from another thread that "game" really means each map..Campaign is merely a series of games that are played individually with a main character carrying over between adventures. There is no overall winner for the campaign by adding up all the points for each map. The campaign is a way to go through all the map quests with side quests and experience the whole world over a series of different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Ryan did say you could have a campaign winner by adding up all the points:

Quote:
There isn't really a "winner" of the campaign, just of each session. You actually keep track of your points on the back of the character card in the "maps" circles-- I need to put this in the rulebook. You could add up your total and declare a campaign "winner".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I just wanted to confirm that we used "game" because the campaign is meant to be played over 10 different game sessions with one for each map.

The only things that carry over between games in Campaign Mode and Story Mode are experience points, character abilities, and story information (i.e., the next story you need to read in Story Mode and any key words you have.)

Artifacts generally grant pretty powerful abilities, and players are expected to build five or six per game (or per map). The game is balanced to account for artifacts not carrying over between play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks Brenna!

Am slightly bummed by the news
Was hoping that parties or artifacts would carry over making it feel more of a campaign than a wash and replay of the same but in a different map

Will still keep a lookout to see if any further news may heighten my views on the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jion wrote:
Thanks Brenna!

Was hoping that parties or artifacts would carry over making it feel more of a campaign than a wash and replay of the same but in a different map

Will still keep a lookout to see if any further news may heighten my views on the game

I think that's a good thing. I've never seen a competitive game with a campaign so far and my first thought was how this would be possible without having a runaway leader after the first few games, since it would probably get even easier to win/get more artifacts if you manage to get ahead of the other players quickly. I think this simply wouldn't work well if there was too much potential of variability in levels of power that carry over through multiple games.

Also the fact that it's not about becoming the winner of the whole campaign is a sensible decision, since the motivation to play through 6 more sessions if the first 4 have already been one by one player wouldn't be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badshave wrote:
Jion wrote:
Thanks Brenna!

I think that's a good thing. I've never seen a competitive game with a campaign so far and my first thought was how this would be possible without having a runaway leader after the first few games, since it would probably get even easier to win/get more artifacts if you manage to get ahead of the other players quickly. I think this simply wouldn't work well if there was too much potential of variability in levels of power that carry over through multiple games.

Also the fact that it's not about becoming the winner of the whole campaign is a sensible decision, since the motivation to play through 6 more sessions if the first 4 have already been one by one player wouldn't be great.

I actually very much agree with you on the balance issue. Rich get richer.

Personally my group that does campaign play with me are the kind that really play for the story rather than who wins (cooperative or competitive), so for us - like in real life - some are just better off than others and our stories will differ, but the journey is the fun part

I guess I could house rule it and just wing it. But I'm worried that there wouldn't be enough stuff components wise and if the artifacts are that powerful, then bringing them along would ruin the tension in each encounter

I guess it's just not what I had envisioned in my mind

A reset makes me think that the start of subsequent maps will be the same. Rush for certain resources and items perhaps. I dunno. Just the first few thoughts after reading the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Jion wrote:
A reset makes me think that the start of subsequent maps will be the same. Rush for certain resources and items perhaps. I dunno. Just the first few thoughts after reading the rules

There are certainly some similarities in the opening game, but there are a few things that cause variations between maps/game sessions in a campaign.

--Players will have different hands of artifact cards which might lend themselves to a different strategy. Not every player will have the same items available to them every game.

--Players will have new abilities that might lend themselves to different strategies (for example, if someone has +1 food at the start of the game, they might have more freedom in the opening game.)

--There's variation between maps. What resources are most readily available, how easy it is to travel, etc., all changes between maps. Some maps have special spaces that do something different (for example, one map has a space that grants +1 food to any player landing there).

Maybe this isn't as much variation as you'd like, but in my experience, the game usually plays fairly differently between sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.