Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frédéric MOULIS
France
WATTIGNIES
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I have a case/bug to manage on boiteajeux's implementation, and I'm not completely sure on how to deal with it :

If someone plays Poisoned Dart or Cockatrice on a Paladin, and loses this Paladin on Conquering phase because of the evil loss, I assume the poison damages the Paladin even in the new dungeon (It seems logical to me).

But what if the spell on this turn was Magic Shield ? Does it prevent the poison damage (assuming that it is the first damage of the round for this player) even if the paladin has moved to another dungeon ?

Thank you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieggo
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the official FAQ's:

"How does the Magic Shield spell absorb damage?

Magic Shield absorbs the first point of damage that would be otherwise dealt to an adventurer this round. That means:

- It applies to the first attack in the Monsters (or Ghosts) Phase this round. This attack deals one less damage. (An “Attack Everyone” attack will deal one less damage only to the adventurer in the front; the other adventurers get full damage.)
- If there was no attack, the spell reduces fatigue in the Conquering Step.
- If there was no attack and the player prevented Conquering this round, it can even reduce damage from the Poisoned Dart’s special effect at the end of round. (It might sound strange, but the spell finds a way, as it gets really bored when nothing happens.)
- Otherwise (if there was no damage dealt after the Fast Spells Step this round) the shield vanishes without effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric MOULIS
France
WATTIGNIES
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, thank you but I already know this and the implementation is already ok.

But I'm in a really particular case where the poisoned paladin is not in the dungeon where he has been poisoned and where the magic shield was casted. Does the spell take effect on the poison damage even if the poison adventurer has moved to another dungeon (where the spell may not have been casted, before or after this player's turn) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would suggest yes (the spell prevents poison damage) according to the FAQ clause. As long as the spell was cast and affected Poisoned Dart at that time, it shouldn't matter where it was cast and where the secondary poison damage happened.

"It might sound strange, but the spell finds a way, as it gets really bored when nothing happens".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that the damage is prevented as long as the party in the paladin's previous dungeon had enough magic power to cast that spell. It doesn't matter whether the party in the paladin's new dungeon have cast it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if he's leaving my dungeon, yes, magic shield follows. if he's coming to my dungeon, no.

in general, the game generally works to make things as difficult as possible, with no freebies, so i would say magic shield takes effect. but that is based on overall tempo of the game, not specific rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So assuming that the Paladin's Magic Shield from the first dungeon stays with him and prevents 1 damage from poison, is the Paladin then free to cast the spell again when combat resumes in the new dungeon? I assume so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a moot point.

Magic shield has 1 drop on it. Since the Paladin left because of the evil loss due to conquering, you did not skip conquering and fatigue.

Magic Shield has 1 drop on it. So the "1st point of damage" would necessarily be the fatigue damage which would be prevented by the spell.

Then the tile would be conquered, evil lost, and the Paladin moves to the other Dungeon and takes 2 damage.

Had you skipped conquering and fatigue, (say with a slime) then the Paladin would not leave your dungeon, and the Magic Shield would reduce one of the 2 points from poison dart.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric MOULIS
France
WATTIGNIES
flag msg tools
mbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
This is a moot point.

Magic shield has 1 drop on it. Since the Paladin left because of the evil loss due to conquering, you did not skip conquering and fatigue.

Magic Shield has 1 drop on it. So the "1st point of damage" would necessarily be the fatigue damage which would be prevented by the spell.

Then the tile would be conquered, evil lost, and the Paladin moves to the other Dungeon and takes 2 damage.

Had you skipped conquering and fatigue, (say with a slime) then the Paladin would not leave your dungeon, and the Magic Shield would reduce one of the 2 points from poison dart.

-One Wolf

Ah ah
You're right
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you don't skip conquering and there's 0 fatigue.
(0 fatigue combat card, explored dungeon with that special event)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric MOULIS
France
WATTIGNIES
flag msg tools
mbmb
HealingAura wrote:
Sometimes you don't skip conquering and there's 0 fatigue.
(0 fatigue combat card, explored dungeon with that special event)

Magic Shield is a combat card with one fatigue. That's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.