Millennium Blades» Forums » General

Subject: Do you think Set Rotation is necessary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asking those who've played the base game a bunch; have you 'learned' all the sets and such by now? Are you yearning for more, or are you still discovering more each game from the base set alone?

I'm in the UK, and we've shafted our own currency lately so backing at $140 for the expansion seems a bit daft. Is it really necessary, in your humble opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter shipping for Level 99 Games has always felt a little pricey. What you can do is back for the promos and then get Set Rotation when it's released in the UK. You might save some money that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
helloearthling wrote:
Are you yearning for more, or are you still discovering more each game from the base set alone?

honest answer: both. Though I haven't managed to play MB "a bunch" yet (little spare time right now).

Quote:
I'm in the UK, and we've shafted our own currency lately so backing at $140 for the expansion seems a bit daft. Is it really necessary, in your humble opinions?

Depends on how much you're going to play it. I always feel L99's games give a huge lot of variety and interesting game play, even in the base box. Still, the amount of love and work that goes into each box makes me want to have everything complete... so, after getting fully in on the first KS, this time I'm in for Promo Pack 3 & 4, despite shipping.

*gotta get 'em, gotta get 'em now...*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion probably is not necessary unless you will be playing a ton. However it will increase the variability of the game a lot, especially if you do not own promo packs 1 and 2 (as it will greatly increase the available promo sets). The expansion also includes some sets that are probable fan favorites such as Uuuurgh (zombies) and Game of Rings. Take this with a grain of salt though, as I am firmly in the more=better camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The one place I'd say the base game really falls short is promo sets. Especially since many of the promo sets are all the same card but for different elements.

If you have the promo packs #1 and #2, that is significantly mitigated because they almost triple the number of promo sets (5 bronze, 7 silver, and 4 gold in the promo packs; compared to the base game's 4 bronze, 3 silver, and 2 gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Shunning Bandersnatches Daily
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the camp "More = Better" and I certainly haven't mastered/explored all the current decks especially the various promotional ones. I don't mind the fact of be able to slip something new in and out - it is kind of my Summoner Wars attitude. I have my favorites, but sometimes it is fun to just be random or play around with something I don't normally.

Of course, if Set Rotation was just new Store decks it probably would behoove Level 99 to go the Munchkin route and sell single sets of single sets. People could pick and choose when and as they saw fit and honestly it might be profitable as things like Munchkin: Cute Kitties has the market cornered on "Sheesh I need 6 more bucks to get free shipping from CSI..."

(Actually I am curious to see how the future of The Blades markets. Whether it goes the alternating big/little yearish expansion route of Fantasy Flight and anything having to with Lovecraft or the Munchkin route of smaller expansions and singles. )

But Set Rotation is a bit more that MORE STORE

It's more PC's - which I think will give a lot more variety to the game in play and play style than a handful of fresh cards popping up in the store.

And it creates a whole new game style in the Co-op mode and those cards look crazy!

And it's some Core errata which is always nice.

Meh - that's my two cents on expansion dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Baker
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game 8 times and have just played with the suggested first game set up. I love the game and can't wait to start mixing up my shop deck. I always love more variety so all the extra sets will be loved despite the fact I haven't already taken advantage of everything in the base game.

The thing I am actually most excited for is actually the new characters. The way that all the different cards interact with each other is important but I also love how the game changes based on which characters are in the game. I have played with every character at this point and I love exploring how to best utilize each character. Ultimately for me I need set rotation simply for the extra characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty necessary. A lot of the premium sets in the base game are useless (like the foreboding one for example), so I want to see some more interesting stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
The one place I'd say the base game really falls short is promo sets. Especially since many of the promo sets are all the same card but for different elements.
If you have the promo packs #1 and #2, that is significantly mitigated because they almost triple the number of promo sets (5 bronze, 7 silver, and 4 gold in the promo packs; compared to the base game's 4 bronze, 3 silver, and 2 gold).

This. The main thing the base game lacks is promo sets.
Another thing that goes for the expansion is the coop mode.
If you have the promo packs #1 and #2 and are not interested in the coop thing Set Rotation most likely is just more of the same for you. Which can be good or bad however you see it. In any case it doesn't seem to be an essential expansion. The base game is very complete as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
If you nack the base game now you get 2 mini expansions, will these suffise or do you really just need to get the full experience with the expansion? I'm really grasping at straws here as what to get...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
If you nack the base game now you get 2 mini expansions, will these suffise or do you really just need to get the full experience with the expansion? I'm really grasping at straws here as what to get...

Well, the expansion isn't out yet and people is doing just fine with the base game. So I'd say no, the expansion, altough nice, isn't strictly neccesary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

IMHO Millenium Blades is a complete game as is and does not need expansions like for example pretty much all Fantasy Flight games. This one seems really to be just an expansion. It widens the scope but its not essential. So its pretty much a matter how much you plan to play the game and how much variability you want to have (except you want coop, then it is essential).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My personal decision after a few days' considering, is to buy the game now from a BGG seller (£70) and try get Set Rotation when it comes to stores here. I don't need the Kickstarter extras, and I'm betting that Set Rotation will be a lot less than the £53 that backing it on KS costs!

The big one for me is more starter decks; and there are no extra ones of those from KS compared to buying later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
helloearthling wrote:
My personal decision after a few days' considering, is to buy the game now from a BGG seller (£70) and try get Set Rotation when it comes to stores here. I don't need the Kickstarter extras, and I'm betting that Set Rotation will be a lot less than the £53 that backing it on KS costs!

The big one for me is more starter decks; and there are no extra ones of those from KS compared to buying later.

The Fusion Chaos Promo pack comes with new players which is a really cool addition. Just a heads up on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schuster
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also ended up just getting the base game through the kickstarter. But am I correct in assuming that the Final Bosses expansion is rather useless without set rotation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantera92 wrote:
But am I correct in assuming that the Final Bosses expansion is rather useless without set rotation?

I think the Final Bosses expansion is playable cards based on the concepts of the co-op enemy stuff in Set Rotation. If you don't have Set Rotation, you might not get the references but you can still use the cards in your games just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schuster
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Pantera92 wrote:
But am I correct in assuming that the Final Bosses expansion is rather useless without set rotation?

I think the Final Bosses expansion is playable cards based on the concepts of the co-op enemy stuff in Set Rotation. If you don't have Set Rotation, you might not get the references but you can still use the cards in your games just fine.

Thank you! After reading the expansion description again I came to the same conclusion. So much for thinking before posting whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
The Fusion Chaos Promo pack comes with new players which is a really cool addition. Just a heads up on that

Sure, but I'm hoping Set Rotation drops for ~£30, so we're talking about spending £20+ extra to up it from 10 characters to 12! (Plus an extra 100 cards). I could afford it, but I'd resent it sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC they already said the retail on Set Rotation was going to be ~$50 USD. With the pound in freefall, I don't think you are going to get it for £30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 games with recomended set up and I'd say the same. There aren't a whole lot of Promos and that's a little dry feeling, also 6 characters doesn't feel like quite enough the extra 4 would be great. But its not that, big of a deal there is enough in the box for 10-20 plays without the Promos being a problem.

As far as the deck goes though there are tonnes of cards to mix and match, more than enough though a few more never hurts ;-)

I'm actually really interested in the Co-op mode (and potential Solo mode) included more than anything else.

I agree with everyone else grab all the Promo mini expansions while they are cheap and the Base game. Get the expansion later if you like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.