Subject: Vault cards - face up or down? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at some of the Quests something is not quite clear, as page 37 states "A Survivor can spend an Action to take a Vault artifact stored in a Vault" - It doesn't say draw a Vault Artefact card for the Vault, so sounds a bit like you know what you are taking...

With just the two cards from the Core set it's not hard to guess what you're likely to get, but it's a bit more important when you have more possible items.

Quest 0: Vault has no items in it as nothing is mentioned?

Quest 1/2/3/5/7: "Put a Vault artifact randomly in each Vault" - Fine they are randomised but are they face down? (Makes the most sense but not specified)

Quest 4: "Put a random Vault artifact in the Vault" - So just random 1 card face down I assume or not...?

Quest 6/8: "Put two random Vault artifacts in the XXX vault" - So both are in one, none are in the other - Can you just pick (if they are face up) or do you find each randomly (they are both face down and shuffled)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play facedown so its a surprise what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intention seems to be that they would be face-down. Yes, the Quest 0 Vault has no Vault Artifact. Other Quests tell you how to seed the Vaults and you always draw them randomly from all the Artifacts you have available.

You definitely can't pick, as the rules say they are random. You also need to maintain a Vault deck with the remaining cards if playing with N.P.C.s, which further adds to the implication the cards are face-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You definitely can't pick, as the rules say they are random. You also need to maintain a Vault deck with the remaining cards if playing with N.P.C.s, which further adds to the implication the cards are face-down.

I agree with you it makes the most sense that way, but the way it's written it could also mean they are randomly placed (and randomly chosen from from the Vault artifact deck) but still face up...

It's the whole "spend an Action to take a Vault artifact" wording....

For a normal Search action for example it says "The player draws from the Equipment deck" ...I find that less ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We assign a randon card to each vault and put it on the vault platform, so it is just a matter of 'taking' it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that Vault items are randomly selected, placed faced down and (where applicable) randomly drawn.

Effectively, Vault items are a separate, limited-use search deck for searching in Vaults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutripper wrote:
It's the whole "spend an Action to take a Vault artifact" wording....

For a normal Search action for example it says "The player draws from the Equipment deck" ...I find that less ambiguous.

How else would they word it? Just because it's face down doesn't mean it's not a single artifact there.

Edit for clarity: Even the ones that say to put multiples in there don't say to create a deck of vault cards...they just say to put two vault cards in there, so you pick one of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I also agree that Vault items are randomly selected, placed faced down and (where applicable) randomly drawn.

Effectively, Vault items are a separate, limited-use search deck for searching in Vaults.

This is the way we treat them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

This is the way we treat them as well.

Same here. It never even occurred to us to do it any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1- Thematically, you can not see into the vault until it is open. Therefore this would imply face down.

2- In this game, when you draw from any other deck the cards are not known until the time when they become active. This sets a precedence that no other cards would be revealed until they become active.

3 - If they were meant to be revealed, I believe it would have been clarified in the rules specifically.

4- As a general rule in the Table Top Gaming world, cards with similar backs in a game like this are intentionally not to be revealed.

Just my experience here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Gagnon
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:

+1 to this ...also I keep the extra vault cards face down and when a player has 5 different NPC"S we randomly draw them too! (unlike the rules that say you can pick the card you want)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.