Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Hero Class Type rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lazaro Borges
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, so I'm looking at giving each specific hero a class type. Certain heroes have a set of skills that make them who they are. Thinking in the realm of final fantasy, Gideon would definitely be a Time Mage while MHD-19 would be a Red Mage.

What other class types can I give everyone else? Or should I focus on giving it the same star wars feel?

This way, new players can get a sense of what their roles are before the character is even selected.

Diala Passil:
Fenn Signis:
Gaarkhan:
Gideon Argus: Time Mage
Jyn Odan:
Mak Eshka'rey:
Biv Badhrik:
Saska Teft:
MHD-19: Red Mage
Loku Kanoloa:
Verena Talos:
Davith Elso:
Murne Rin:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What game are red and time mage classes from?
I don't think that classes are a good thing in today's RPGs and so I don't think you should use them in places where they don't fit. If you want to use some classification, I'd go with more fitting roles like:

Tank, ranged support, melee support...

Or in terms of SWTOR

Diala: Jedi Consular
Fenn: Rebel Trooper
Gaarkhan: Jedi Knight (without force powers)
Jyn: Smuggler

etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
I don't know, it would seem to me that a huge draw of this game is the Star Wars theme. But I suppose if it's the easiest way to explain for you to explain it or for your friends to have it explained to them then by all means.

I would say...

Diala Passil: Red Mage (support based)
Fenn Signis: AOE/Nuker
Gaarkhan: Melee Tank
Gideon Argus: Time Mage (not my first thought, but I get it: Haste)
Jyn Odan: Opportunist Thief (but really, she's Han Solo, she shoots first)
Mak Eshka'rey: Stealth-based Sniper
Biv Badhrik: Spiker
Saska Teft: Tinker
MHD-19: White Mage (I see where you were going with Red, but even White Mages have Holy)
Loku Kanoloa: Damage-based Sniper
Verena Talos: CQC
Davith Elso: Assassin
Murne Rin: I want to say Summoner... Reduced Ally cost and granting them extra attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazaro Borges
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just thought about final fantasy as its more focused I suppose with Mage types, which is what some snipers would be classified as. Tanks would be anyone that can take the damage for the team or draw agro, but none of the tanks really heal, like a paladin would.

So I will also be working on what character is the best tank, best dps, highest damage (or most probably on doing so), longest range, etc. I will be including this on the campaign sheet update that I am working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P O
Spain
flag msg tools
If you use classes just so new players have a general idea of their abilities it's ok, but be sure to clarify to them that roles aren't as pronounced as in FF games. Take MHD-19 as an example, he does not have the power to cure everybody at every time.

One of the strongest points for SWIA in terms of gameplay in my opinion is the myriad of interactions, synergies and/or combos between characters that you can pull.

Of course if you are into competitive skirmish, the metagame limits the viability of some characters, but i suppose this is not the goal in your group.

There is no predefined path as to "how to use" this or that character. The thing that the game more or less imposes is "how not to use" this or that character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what a Time Mage and a Red Mage are. If you want to assign classes then you have to be much more generic or use well-known tropes.

Close combat damage dealer
Ranged combat damage dealer
Other Character Support
Uniquely skilled support
Healer
etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't really any traditional "tank" characters, and there's not much in the way of a traditional "healer" (only MHD-19, and even that's a bit of a stretch). I'd group the heroes by what they focus on:

Melee fighters
Gaarkhan
Biv Bodhrik
Verena Talos
Davith Elso
Diala Passil*

Ranged fighters
Fenn Signis
Mak Eshka'rey
Jyn Odan
Loku Kanoloa

Support
Gideon Argus
Saska Teft
MHD-19
Murne Rin

* - Diala could also be classed under Support

My recommendation to newer players is not to take two characters from the Support group, and not to take 3+ characters from the Melee group. Other than that, most groups should work pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
I prefer to break the characters down in the following ways:

Heavy Troopers (able to deal out and soak up a lot of damage):
Gaarkhan
Biv

Medium Troopers
(Damage dealers less heavy than tanks but lacking clear weaknesses):
Fenn
Verena

Light Troopers (Emphasis on mobility, positioning, and skill checks):
Jyn
Davith
Saska
Mak
Loku

Commanders (Concentrate on emphasizing companions' strengths and capitalizing on enemies' weaknesses):
Gideon
Murne
MHD-19
Murne
Diala

Of course, as some other commenters have pointed out, one of the game's strengths is that players have a good amount of flexibility with some characters. Diala can work as a commander or a heavy trooper; Saska blurs the line between a light trooper and a commander. Still, I think it's helpful to understand the characters' different roles in planning out a party, to make sure that nothing is overly redundant or no important asset is left ignored. Any list of one character from each slot should be able to do fine in a campaign- though some synergies are of course more effective than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.